Aurthur Blank Has A Unique Opportunity Here

egoprime II

Smitty and TD, right now, are on the hot seat. Even with a vote of confidence from Blank, there is pressure to perform, pressure both men have not had before.

IMHO...TD has more to worry about than Smitty. But this tread is not really about that.

If AB listens to many fans on these boards and the media, Smitty will be gone. We are hearing more and more about Smitty needing to be fired. The AJC's Schultz is on that bandwagon, even while proclaiming he is not (Typical attempt at Falcon's manipulation by the AJC. Used to work on the Smith family...).

Smitty's contract expires after 2014. NFL teams do not like to have a coach on a one year deal. It sends a message to current and potential players that the coach might not be there for more than one season. This can have a negative effect in obtaining veteran FA's in the off season. So teams normally extend a coach's contract another season if they plan to keep that coach beyond the upcoming season.

Here is what I think Aurthur Blank should do.

AB should give Coach Smith an extension so that Smitty's contract length is five years.

This sends a message to current FO, current coaches, current players, and future players. That message is: this is the Atlanta Falcons and Coach Smith is our coach. You come here to work, you better take it seriously. If you do not, then your butt is gone, not Coach Smith. Smitty will be firing YOU if you don't want to work hard for THIS team.

Do that and it helps eliminate some of the Ray Edwards' out there. Do that and players currently on the team will know that if Smitty says, be ready to play, then that is what they will do or thier butts will be gone...not Smitty's.

There are precedents. Tom Landry of the old Dallas Cowboys took over an expansiion team. He brought with him several new concepts incuding the Flex defense and a pro attack modelled more on an AFL team. But Landry's first five seasons were LOSING seasons. Fans wanted Landry fired. The owner took a different approach. He gave Landry a five year contract. Result: Landry is now an NFL legend.

Smitty does not have to become an NFL legend to be successful. What Smitty needs is the confidence that the owner says he has in our coach. Best way to show that confidence is to give Smitty a long contract.

Because Smitty is that rare authoritarian coach who is also a players' coach, veterans like playing for Coach Smith. It is young players who are giving us fits right now, and my impression is they do not take thier jobs seriously. That needs to end, and the best way for that to happen is if these young guys know that they better do what Smitty wants or they will be the ones out the door.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to put on my asbestos suit... :P

Edited by egoprime II

I dont mind keeping Smitty but Smitty has done a bad job of acquring coaching talent for his team. He is the type of coach that gives alot of responsibility to his coaching staff, but when your coaching staff does not develop talent then you need to get quality replacements as soon as possible. That is my biggest fault with Smitty, knowing when to pull the plug on a player or coaching staff.

First thing Blank should do is tell TD in no uncertain terms that he's got to bring value for the money he's spending ...

Blank could do that by telling TD that AB hired Tom because of the success NE had. So now its time for TD to actually DO what NE did to become successful.

And the first thing TD needs to do is draft our own Wilfork for the D and build an O line for Brady, I mean Ryan.

Blank could do that by telling TD that AB hired Tom because of the success NE had. So now its time for TD to actually DO what NE did to become successful.

And the first thing TD needs to do is draft our own Wilfork for the D and build an O line for Brady, I mean Ryan.

Yea when TD came here the plan was to build on the New England model but he has done the exact opposite it seems.

Stopped reading at giving Smitty a contract extension.

Lets see which statement makes more sense.

Keep proven coach, get rid of unproven players who do not want to play.

Or

Keep unproven players who do not want to play, get rid of proven coach.

It's about to that point.

And in the case of proven players who get new deals and then tank? Send them on thier way asap. A new coach would have to do that too.

Stopped reading at giving Smitty a contract extension.

Exactly. I'm pretty sick of Mike Smith at this point. Even with the recent success that this regime has had, there have been GLARING weaknesses that this team has failed to fix for years. Getting out to an early lead, getting pummeled in the 2nd half, and then just hoping to hang on is not how a Super Bowl winning franchise wins games. You can't put every team away, but you have to have that killer instinct. Smitty doesn't have it. He and his cronies are the reason why this franchise is struggling. He's lost the locker room because the player's don't respect Smitty's approach anymore. With all the injuries, this would have been a down year for any team, but there is never an excuse to lose the locker room. I saw this behavior back around week 6. Smitty is not the reason for this regime's success.

Edited by Syndicate0017

Or

And in the case of proven players who get new deals and then tank? Send them on thier way asap. A new coach would have to do that too.

You'll never convince certain people here of anything no matter how much sense it might make. Especially when it involves the big 3, Dimi, Smitty, Ryan.

Everybody around the league has had an opportunity to look at and evaluate Mike Smith. Other players see the mess he has created and the lack of production from the Falcons. There aren't too many players dying to come play for Mike Smith and ATL. Firing him would send a message that the Falcons want to win. John Grueden said he would coach the Falcons.

there is no way Smith is getting an extension. He will be told by Blank if he wants an extension, he better earn it next season.

Blank has said many tmes that continuity is what is needed to build a perrenial winner. I have little doubt that he doesnt let Smith get back in good graces next season.

If 2014 flops, then there will be some changes at HC for sure.

Honestly, the only change I could see is Koetter and some position coaches (namely Hill and Hamilton).

Nolan has the resume to earn another year, and he can always fall back on his bread and butter being the 3-4. Even when he coached 4-3 in his eary years, they were not statistcaly good defenses, unlike every 3-4 he has ever run. I think if we want Nolan to work, we should make the move, since we have decisions to make on every DLman anyways. our young DE's are great fits for OLB, except for Goodman, who has the ideal build for a 5 technique.

Or

Get rid of 'em all cool.png

Exactly. I'm pretty sick of Mike Smith at this point. Even with the recent success that this regime has had, there have been GLARING weaknesses that this team has failed to fix for years. Getting out to an early lead, getting pummeled in the 2nd half, and then just hoping to hang on is not how a Super Bowl winning franchise wins games. You can't put every team away, but you have to have that killer instinct. Smitty doesn't have it. He and his cronies are the reason why this franchise is struggling. He's lost the locker room because the player's don't respect Smitty's approach anymore. With all the injuries, this would have been a down year for any team, but there is never an excuse to lose the locker room. I saw this behavior back around week 6. Smitty is not the reason for this regime's success.

denzel-washington-boom.gif

Smitty and TD, right now, are on the hot seat. Even with a vote of confidence from Blank, there is pressure to perform, pressure both men have not had before.

After the Giants playoff loss, Arthur gave them both a vote of confidence, while reminding us all that status quo was not acceptable in his mind.

We are past the

hotseat-300x300.png

So using your logic, being Smith cannot get the team to play for him, Blank should step in and MAKE the team play for the coach?

laugh.png

Not my words, and its not clear to me how Blank can make anyone do anything.

The messaage I believe Blank should send is, this is the Falcons and Smith is our coach. If we want you and you want to work here fine. If not there are 31 other teams. Good luck.

I mean really. Why is our team is supposed to cater to a bunch of uninspired players by firing our coach? He, and yes some of our vets, have proven they can win. But these unproven guys, looking at the O line here....its on them to get themselves ready to play. Get in shape, get in the work so they are capable of doing thier jobs.

These players all want to be treated like men. Well then they should do what it takes to play instead of blaming the coach for not being 'inspiring' enough. Or whatever they are doing to justify thier sorriness on the field.

Edited by egoprime II

If Smith is fired, you will be a lot sicker of the losing seasons this team has. Winning NFL coaches do not grow on trees.

Mike Smith would find another team and lead it to wins. And then folks crying about Smith needing to be fired, will be crying about the coach that got away....

Not my words, and its not clear to me how Blank can make anyone do anything.

The messaage I believe Blank should send is, this is the Falcons and Smith is our coach. If we want you and you want to work here fine. If not there are 31 other teams. Good luck.

I mean really. Why is our team is supposed to cater to a bunch of uninspired players by firing our coach? He, and yes some of our vets, have proven they can win. But these unproven guys, looking at the O line here....its on them to get themselves ready to play. Get in shape, get in the work so they are capable of doing thier jobs.

These players all want to be treated like men. Well then they should do what it takes to play instead of blaming the coach for not being 'inspiring' enough. Or whatever they are doing to justify thier sorriness on the field.

If the coach cannot get the players to play for him, then he hasn't done his job. I guess you're saying Blank needs to do something to get the players to play for Smith.

If Smith is fired, you will be a lot sicker of the losing seasons this team has. Winning NFL coaches do not grow on trees.

Mike Smith would find another team and lead it to wins. And then folks crying about Smith needing to be fired, will be crying about the coach that got away....

Smith is, at best, an average NFL coach. He came on when TD made several shrewd moves. Ryan, Turner, Gonzo, and Julio have turned this team around in so many ways. TD has been far from perfect (as is evidenced by our OL and DL deficiencies), but can we really blame all that on Dimi's player selection? Since Smith has been here (who is a defensive minded head coach), we have not developed ONE in-house DL that's really worth a **** besides Bierrman. He put the offensive talent around Mike Smith making him the "successful" coach that he is. Smith is too afraid to make a change and is too loyal to veterans that aren't starter material. He is complacent with mediocrity.

I doubt seriously if either Smith or Dimitroff will be fired after this one lousy season.....but I do think this season has exposed serious flaws in the way both Dimitroff and Smith have built and coach this team.

Whether or not they both stay beyond 2014 season depends upon obviously FA and the draft and Smith's ability to adapt and change.

If both men keep going as they have been then neither will be employed by the Falcons after next season.

The Falcons have collasped in the second half for 12 straight games.

Yes, 12 straight, but that abominable stretch of abysmal failure has done nothing but produce a vote of confidence in TD and Smith from Arthur Blank. I guess the team has to descend to Number 32 in the NFL in all statistical categories before there is enough heat from this 3-alarm dumpster fire to force a regime change. Vexing. We need a regime change, or else Arthur Blank needs to plunk down enough cash to get the franchise transferred to the Ivy League or maybe The Missouri Valley Conference where it could compete.