Where It All Went Wrong...

falcndave

Coach this, GM that, didn't address na nahh na na...

In my mind, where it all went wrong was when a Saint took a cheap shot on Matt Ryan and his OL stood there with their hands in their pockets. It sent a bad vibe.

There is a lack of core toughness on this team. However, there has been for the last five years. We've never moved a pile. We were competitive until the bad mojo built up about 5 or 6 weeks into the season.

The team says all the right things, but I only see about 6 guys who are walking the walk (2 CBs, 1 LB, 1TE, and occasionally a safety not named Decoud). There is division on the offense. I don't care what anyone says. They say the right things, but they are all pointing fingers. This team was build to win on offense and survive on defense. When the offense doesn't go, our defense is woefully exposed.

You can doubt the decisions that were made to support and offense first strategy. I have often done so. That said, there is a five year record that says that approach should net more than 2 regular season wins in 10 tries.

Something deeper than personnell and coaching is wrong. There is bad karma on the offensive side of the ball. They need to root it out over the offseason. Either bring in QBs and RBs who can suceed without trusting the Oline, or bring in a 4-6 new OL next year. 5 pracitice squad guys should run block better than what we are seeing right now.

Feel free to argue. Personnel, philosophy, coaching, and player execution are all areas of concern. Perfecting those things will not fix the fact that we have guys playing together who don't trust each other right now.

Entirely agree. Specifically with division amongst the offensive players, nobody believing they are actually the problem.

Offensive line believes they aren't getting enough opportunities to establish run game, and pass protection is their main priority

Running backs think they arent getting enough carries and lanes to run through

Receivers don't have time to get down field for separation, all routes within 15-20 yards and opposing D's sitting on routes cause no respect of deep ball

Ryan not getting time in pocket, but main problem is literally zero run game. No QB gonna succeed without protection AND no run game

In a way they are all right- and it comes down to a dysmal offensive coordinator but a substantial amount of the problem stems from our mediocre head coach.

I think this goes back to the type of players we look for. They always want the "nice guys." I don't need guys with 2 or 3 major legal run ins while in college, but violation of team rules don't really bother me, nor does an incident that was a year or two ago. I remember with Tampa's Mike Williams came out, there was some bad stuff on him about leaving the program at Syracuse and a legal incident. Here was a good player that was drafted in the top of round 4. He is the type that the Falcons would not look at. It seems anytime there is a blip, we instantly start talking about that guy will not pass the Falcons filter. Greg Hardy was another guy that comes to mind.

I think we act as an organization as if we are too good for some of these players. Players that bring a very good talent level at a relatively cheap price (in terms of the draft). We then settle for the Kerry Meiers and Cliff Matthews of the world and wonder why the team quits or has no depth.

In my mind, where it all went wrong was when a Saint took a cheap shot on Matt Ryan and his OL stood there with their hands in their pockets. It sent a bad vibe.

I was thinking the exact same thing at the time and again this morning. That set the tone for the whole d@mn season. Soft @ss O-Line.

this oline is straight p*$$y

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Good call on that hit in the first game. Someone should have put foot to @$$ and got super chippy.

I think the only thing that could make the rest of this season any fun is a good 'ole fashion brawl tomorrow night. I want some attitude. I want to see some chippy Falcons. If someone even looks at Ryan I want to see someone thrown out of the game over the results.

Remember the fight with the Eagles prior to a MNF game the year after they knocked us out of the playoffs? We need some of that 'tude.

Offensive line (Harvey Dahl) used to play with an attitude. Go find the video of Turner dragging the KC Chiefs player in 2008 - there are offensive lineman ahead of him looking to make blocks...

Type of guy we needed to keep. We need players with character concerns or guys who are just downright nasty.

Maybe Ryan isn't one of those guys that inspire people to protect him. If he was a good leader and well liked/respected, players would volunteeily stand up for him. You wouldn't have to tell linemen that Ryan is their guy - they would already know. Maybe Ryan ought to start buying his linemen breakfast and stuff.

There are guys I'd defend and there are guys I don't. Heck, I'd defend some guys on my team not necessarily because we are best friends but because we have commadarie.

I think you mean camaraderie. Ryan might not buy donuts but he did buy a new $70k sound system for the locker room his rookie year...