I Feel Matt Ryan's Pain

Miller2Rison

i played WR for a semi pro team back in 2005 and we probably had the worst o-line in the history of football, yes even worse than the falcons or at least just as bad lol.

it is some crazy ish to be running your route in a game, time i had nothing but day light in front of me and as soon as i came off my break i stuck my hands up anticipating a football to be going into them but when i came off my break what i saw most of the time was my QB hitting the dirt, im talking as soon as i come out of my break.

it got so bad to the point where i would go to practice and be like "who's the QB this week?" and sometimes i would get responses like "it might be you." or the other WRs/DBs would be throwing the ball around before practice "dont let em see u throwin that ball like that, they'll make u play QB" we even recruited some guys out at bars or whatever "yeah i played QB in high school or college or whatever" they would come out and quit the same day. a big discussion we would have at after parties would be like "peyton manning would look bad behind our o-line"

Now Matt Ryan has never had a great line, the first couple years he had a decent to ok line but he also had a run game to rely on, we lost our run blocking last year and Ryan had just enough talent for the passing game to work or our defense could do just enough or our running game could do just enough but thats just it, we dont have just enough this year.

i have been critical of Ryan some lately but when i stop and looked back to the o-line we had in 2005 i had to stop and say wait a minute this is not Ryan's fault and Ryan has earned that contract just for being able to play as well as he has after getting beat up behind our o-line for 5 years which only got worse and worse every year. when your avg. NFL WR runs a 4.3 40 and Ryan has maybe 1.5 seconds in the pocket.

I think we need to invest in protecting our investment.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. Nobody but a QB playing behind a crappy OL will know what that constant pressure, that constant pounding will do to your timing, to your confidence, to your head or your body. I'll wager though it can be an extremely stressful three hours every Sunday afternoon. Ryan has never had the kind of season he's having this go round. It looks as if the pounding and the pressure have really taken a serious toll. If I were HC I'd sit him for a couple of weeks and let him relax and recoup. As for the off-season, I'm with Miller2Rison, Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere, so if you want him productive and healthy, the FO better get this guy some protection.

Good post. Nobody but a QB playing behind a crappy OL will know what that constant pressure, that constant pounding will do to your timing, to your confidence, to your head or your body. I'll wager though it can be an extremely stressful three hours every Sunday afternoon. Ryan has never had the kind of season he's having this go round. It looks as if the pounding and the pressure have really taken a serious toll. If I were HC I'd sit him for a couple of weeks and let him relax and recoup. As for the off-season, I'm with Miller2Rison, Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere, so if you want him productive and healthy, the FO better get this guy some protection.

there's a lot of factors in play that makes a QB successful. look at Brady, who has a pretty good line but is having a pretty poor season by his standards with inadequate receivers. Ryan is in the same boat but without the line. eff anybody talking crap about Ryan because we know he has intelligence to make good decisions and the ability to lead this team. give this man a good line and we won't have to worry bout the dink & dunk offense anymore.

the OP pretty well hit the nail on the head.

A lot of crap talking on here about Ryan is just that... crap.

Matt has had my respect for several seasons now, if for no other reason than that he has performed so well behind an ever decreasing OL performance level.

It has been atrocious when looked at from the correct perspective.

What pisses me off are certain "fans" (Mr. Right, Swift, aka TROLLS) that relish in the fact that he is getting murdered out there every Sunday & throw dirt on him saying "See I told you, he sux we need to get Johnny Football". There isn't a drop back pocket passer in the league (not Brady, not Manning) that could do ANY better with this oline. Only QBs that would do better would be Rodgers & Breesus because they can buy some time with their legs.

Ryan is as tough as nails to get behind this peewee league caliber line every week.

What pisses me off are certain "fans" (Mr. Right, Swift, aka TROLLS) that relish in the fact that he is getting murdered out there every Sunday & throw dirt on him saying "See I told you, he sux we need to get Johnny Football". There isn't a drop back pocket passer in the league (not Brady, not Manning) that could do ANY better with this oline. Only QBs that would do better would be Rodgers & Breesus because they can buy some time with their legs.

Ryan is as tough as nails to get behind this peewee league caliber line every week.

Ready to be owned ?

Andrew Luck is arguably playing behind an worse Oline and has been hit 20 more times then Ryan

Plus Luck has the mobility to escape pressure and has picked up 233 yards and 4 TDs by escaping the Oline breaking down . Luck also doesn't have a run game either has Trent been horrible and they having issues with run blocking as well

How come Luck is leading his team to success and Ryan isnt

Luck an 2nd year QB

Ryan an 6th year veteran

Luck lost his weapon in Reggie Wayne same as Ryan lost in Julio

you won't answer cause it will show you how much of a fraud you are

Ready to be owned ?

Andrew Luck is arguably playing behind an worse Oline and has been hit 20 more times then Ryan

Plus Luck has the mobility to escape pressure and has picked up 233 yards and 4 TDs by escaping the Oline breaking down . Luck also doesn't have a run game either has Trent been horrible and they having issues with run blocking as well

How come Luck is leading his team to success and Ryan isnt

Luck an 2nd year QB

Ryan an 6th year veteran

Luck lost his weapon in Reggie Wayne same as Ryan lost in Julio

you won't answer cause it will show you how much of a fraud you are

First, The colts Oline is not as near as bad as the Falcons

Second, even though the colts running game has not been "stellar" they have had some good running games and it is not near as bad as Atlanta's.

Third, the colts have a defense.

Fourth, Luck has way more time in the pocket. More of his hits have come from when he has had what would be an eternity in Atl but holds the ball.

Fifth, Luck is a stud. No one said he wasn't. He will probably be the best QB in the game in three years. Why are you comparing him to Ryan???

First, The colts Oline is not as near as bad as the Falcons

Second, even though the colts running game has not been "stellar" they have had some good running games and it is not near as bad as Atlanta's.

Third, the colts have a defense.

Fourth, Luck has way more time in the pocket. More of his hits have come from when he has had what would be an eternity in Atl but holds the ball.

Fifth, Luck is a stud. No one said he wasn't. He will probably be the best QB in the game in three years. Why are you comparing him to Ryan???

Lets be honest you haven't watched many Colts games have you ? The offensive line is complete mess just like ours . Luck is getting hit on 3 step drop backs and he has an quicker release then Ryan and just as smart as Ryan in football IQ knowing where the pressure is coming from and getting rid of the ball so please stop the nonsense that Luck is holding onto ball and Ryan gets ball out of his hands quick that's lack of football knowledge and won't fly around these parts

Luck has been hit 77 times on 347 attempts

Ryan has been hit 57 times on 404 attempts

Colts run game is ranked 14th with 1129 yards ( but Luck has 233 yards factor into it)

Falcons run game is ranked 31 with 731 yards ( Ryan has 30 yards)

Colts defense is ranked 22nd

Falcons defense is ranked 26th

ryan is a pure pocket passer, peyton manning and tom brady would suck behind our line but 2004 michael vick might be able to succeed behind it. we started putting scramblers behind our line but when your a pure a pocket passer and get sacked while your receiver is just coming off their break u wont have much success without a running game or top 10 defens which we have neither. a scrambler could help but we still dont have a run game or defense to help the scrambler

ryan is a pure pocket passer, peyton manning and tom brady would suck behind our line but 2004 michael vick might be able to succeed behind it. we started putting scramblers behind our line but when your a pure a pocket passer and get sacked while your receiver is just coming off their break u wont have much success without a running game or top 10 defens which we have neither. a scrambler could help but we still dont have a run game or defense to help the scrambler

Andrew Luck is an pure pocket passer but the difference is he is an athelete and can escape pressure and have mobility . You keep saying like Brady and Manning would struggle behind this Oline as fact when both of them are 100000000x better then Ryan in pocket awareness and know how to side step pressure and avoid it and keep eyes down field and not just check down

The difference is also defenses don't blitz Peyton and Brady as much cause they make them pay for it with big plays down field . The difference is Ryan is not RESPECTED BY OPPOSING D CORDS so when teams blitz him he panics and just hits the check down but since Julio has been injured Ryan game has been exploited even more

i played WR for a semi pro team back in 2005 and we probably had the worst o-line in the history of football, yes even worse than the falcons or at least just as bad lol.

it is some crazy ish to be running your route in a game, time i had nothing but day light in front of me and as soon as i came off my break i stuck my hands up anticipating a football to be going into them but when i came off my break what i saw most of the time was my QB hitting the dirt, im talking as soon as i come out of my break.

it got so bad to the point where i would go to practice and be like "who's the QB this week?" and sometimes i would get responses like "it might be you." or the other WRs/DBs would be throwing the ball around before practice "dont let em see u throwin that ball like that, they'll make u play QB" we even recruited some guys out at bars or whatever "yeah i played QB in high school or college or whatever" they would come out and quit the same day. a big discussion we would have at after parties would be like "peyton manning would look bad behind our o-line"

Now Matt Ryan has never had a great line, the first couple years he had a decent to ok line but he also had a run game to rely on, we lost our run blocking last year and Ryan had just enough talent for the passing game to work or our defense could do just enough or our running game could do just enough but thats just it, we dont have just enough this year.

i have been critical of Ryan some lately but when i stop and looked back to the o-line we had in 2005 i had to stop and say wait a minute this is not Ryan's fault and Ryan has earned that contract just for being able to play as well as he has after getting beat up behind our o-line for 5 years which only got worse and worse every year. when your avg. NFL WR runs a 4.3 40 and Ryan has maybe 1.5 seconds in the pocket.

I think we need to invest in protecting our investment.

Here the things I see

He has no more than 3 seconds before he is hit.

Teams are bring this kind of pressure with 4 rushing.

This leaves 7 covering 4 or 5 receivers.

Not one of the decent receivers are 100% healthy.

No running game.

Poor play calling or audibles.

If the offense does not score 28 plus it a loss.

Blame Ryan if you want but as stated above it all starts with the Oline. If you don not agree, just look at Davis he lasted less than 20 game minutes.

Blame Ryan if you want but as stated above it all starts with the Oline. If you don not agree, just look at Davis he lasted less than 20 game minutes.

cause he took a cheap shot to knee ?If that's the case Brady Oline is horrible to since he once took cheap shot to knee Davis was looking good and getting ball out is his hands quick and the offense had a spark unlike offense being lead by Ryan

Andrew Luck is an pure pocket passer but the difference is he is an athelete and can escape pressure and have mobility . You keep saying like Brady and Manning would struggle behind this Oline as fact when both of them are 100000000x better then Ryan in pocket awareness and know how to side step pressure and avoid it and keep eyes down field and not just check down

The difference is also defenses don't blitz Peyton and Brady as much cause they make them pay for it with big plays down field . The difference is Ryan is not RESPECTED BY OPPOSING D CORDS so when teams blitz him he panics and just hits the check down but since Julio has been injured Ryan game has been exploited even more

This may help you out;

http://www.colts.com/fanzone/index.html

and NO most of the people here do not watch Colts games.

You really are a dumb little ***** aren't you. For your information azzhat, you have to have a POCKET to step up, move to the side etc. This train wreck provides NOTHING resembling a pocket. Andrew Luck is completing LESS than 60% of his passes, yet has a MUCH better running game & a better defense.TRY WATCHING A GAME YOU NUTLICKING TROLL BEFORE SPEWING YOUR DRIVEL.

Edited by GTJeff1975

cause he took a cheap shot to knee ?If that's the case Brady Oline is horrible to since he once took cheap shot to knee Davis was looking good and getting ball out is his hands quick and the offense had a spark unlike offense being lead by Ryan

Have I missed the fine for the Cheap shot? The hit was questionable i agree but let's see how brave Davis will be behind this line if he gets to play again this season.

long time / first time

not sure if this point has been brought up before but

has anyone else noticed the total number of sacks matt ryan has taken have steadily increased over his career? (http://www.nfl.com/player/mattryan/310/profile)

my honest assessment as a lifelong (21yearsha) falcons fan-if we want to have and maintain an elite offense we need:

1.)healthy julio and MR for ALL if not the majority of the season (TE position is taken care of imo with Chase and Levine, one of our extra draft picks for 2014 should go to a speedy H-back type though imo)

2.)rehauled oline , LT-meh LG-meh(tallest midget at the moment) C-NOW RG-NOW RT-NOW(potential 1st rounders if we can; won't get into clowney debate)

3.)steven jackson to retire or ride pine, fresh face(s) at RB, potentially bring in better vet who hasn't hit a wall

You really are a dumb little ***** aren't you. For your information azzhat, you have to have a POCKET to step up, move to the side etc. This train wreck provides NOTHING resembling a pocket. Andrew Luck is completing LESS than 60% of his passes, yet has a MUCH better running game & a better defense.TRY WATCHING A GAME YOU NUTLICKING TROLL BEFORE SPEWING YOUR DRIVEL.

much better run game ? I posted the stats you ******* low life

Falcons run game is avg 70 yards a game when you take out Ryan 30 yards

Colts run game is avg 89 yards a game when you take out Luck 230 yards

19 yards a game is much better ? lol

It's easy for Ryan to have good comp % when he has 76 completed passes to rbs

Finally a post that makes sense, watch BankerBird delete this

BankerBird has been almost as shell shocked as Ryan lately, trying to cob redundant dink and dunk threads into sustained drives all the while dodging a vicious unblocked onslaught from bloodthirsty savages while mired in the midst of a hopelessly lost season.

It's a big league gig and he knows the exquisite pain of failure to execute is always worse than that of inflicting collateral damage.

Edited by trudweathers