Wr Douglas Establishing Career Highs

birdz4i

WR Douglas Establishing Career Highs

November 19, 2013/in Daniel's Blog /by Daniel Cox

131119_HDBlog_Blog.jpg

Injuries this season have put many players on the Falcons roster in position to be on the field contributing more. Some players have seized their opportunity and should be viable options for the team moving forward. Harry Douglas has been part of the Falcons’ plan since he was drafted in 2008 and although he’s never been the offense’s top option, he’s been a steady contributor during his last four seasons (injured for all of 2009). This season, with injuries to Julio Jones and Roddy White, more has been asked of Douglas and he’s stepped up with career high numbers already this season.

His steady play in 2013 is most recently evident in his Week 11 six-catch, 134-yard effort. This season, he’s caught 51 passes for 754 yards and both figures are career highs. Douglas’ output this season is helping him establish career highs across the board. His two touchdowns is a career high and last week’s 80-yard touchdown is the longest of his career. This year he leads the team with five plays of 40 yards or more.

Douglas is currently on pace to achieve the first 1,000-yard season in his career. He’s 246 yards away, an average of 41 yards per game over the final six games of the season. Through 10 games this year, Douglas has averaged 75 yards per game and has three 100-yard games to his credit.

Tags: Harry Douglas, Julio Jones, New Orleans, NOvsATL, Roddy White

http://blogs.atlanta...g-career-highs/

Despite all the hate, HD might end up as the #2 WR and White could be gone after this season in the interest of saving cap money for greater needs elsewhere.

I was thinking the same thing. He seems to have developed to be a solid #2 WR. Even when Roddy was out he was ok as a #1. He's not a game changer like White or Jones but he has proven this season to be a solid #2 NFL WR.

Despite all the hate, HD might end up as the #2 WR and White could be gone after this season in the interest of saving cap money for greater needs elsewhere.

I have a strong feeling this may happen. NE or SF should be the first team TD calls for a trade. Brady would kill for a Roddy.

I think we keep all three, and just shift the targets over to Douglas when Gonzalez leaves, and use the additional TE for blocking purposes to help bolster an offensive line that really needs the help.

thats what i was thinking until we resigned tony this off season. move some of the targets to rbs out of the backfield, a decent role for the te(30-40 catches) and the rest to hd and a 4th wr since tony got so many looks. the rest of the time the te can stay in and help protect matt, which we all knows he could use at this point.

I think we keep all three, and just shift the targets over to Douglas when Gonzalez leaves, and use the additional TE for blocking purposes to help bolster an offensive line that really needs the help.

Agree. Unless this off-season produces some really impressive OL draft picks or a couple of top-tier FA OL, Smith will have little choice but to use the TE mostly for blocking assignments.

money has to come from somewhere - Roddy may be the victim of the cap - do we really need him as much as we need his dollars somewhere else ?? The same goes for Tony G. - I love both those guys but we have to shore up a few places - unless MAtt restructures the cash has to come from somewhere .

Gonzo is just that after this season.

money has to come from somewhere - Roddy may be the victim of the cap - do we really need him as much as we need his dollars somewhere else ?? The same goes for Tony G. - I love both those guys but we have to shore up a few places - unless MAtt restructures the cash has to come from somewhere .

Tony is retiring and Matt's deal doesn't have big cap hits till 2016 so yeah...

Edited by Gold Mouth da God

regardless, we know Harry can be a very good number 2 - do we really need an aging 1b reciever with a high price tag? Or could we use that money to perhaps get a FA center or RG ?? Yeah , I knew Tony was going to retire- thats gonna free some money too right ?? We all know what we did with no running game, a weak defense , and no run blocking last year. Difference this year is health and depth. Redundant pieces cant be afforded when you have a franchise qb getting mugged every play.

I was thinking the same thing. He seems to have developed to be a solid #2 WR. Even when Roddy was out he was ok as a #1. He's not a game changer like White or Jones but he has proven this season to be a solid #2 NFL WR.

Yet when others said this early in the year they were bashed

I'd could actually see a trade (Boldin was moved last offseason and i'd still rang a healthy Roddy well ahead of him) think Roddy's only do like 6 mil or something so I don't know if they'd cut him because you still need to replace the production of him or either HD as his spot(slot) is not open so than means burning another pick on the offense.

I though he'd be cut but my gut feeling now is they'll hold on to him he's a Smith guy and has been one of the more vocal leaders if they could carry guys like Nicolas Peterson McClure I'd say they'd just hang on to him for one more season at least

H3ll he might get an extension To lower his cap hit to around 3 or 4 mil think he's only 31 or 32 and his style of play really doesn't depend on him being explosvie or fast or jump real high. Problem with all players aging is injuries he could come back strong next year but in week 7 has this same injury that's messes his whole season up again(seems like this is what's happen to Greg Jennings)