Line Drafting

ortho

Just trying to recall, when is the last time we drafted a line man either side of ball that, when drafted, it was a no brainer that this was going to be a solid pro? I guess Konz? Baker was an iffy from get go. I had high hopes for Mike Johnson and we see how that worked.

My point is very low expectations for low graded players has got us to this point.

The Dline as well, although very little to talk about, I guess Peters has over performed but very run of mill DT.

agree with konz. for sure thought he wasn't going to be a problem when picked. never liked many of the oline picks. thought jerry was going to be decent also, wrong. peters has been alright but don't care if he is here or not. have no faith in any of the DE's (even bierman) that have been picked over the years. yeah, lots of upset but upside doesn't do nothing if your not in the game. seems as though the draft picks get overtaken by free agents for playing time, so it makes sense nobody pans out for Falcons.

Jerry was the consensus #2 DT that year...then his knee exploded. I don't think the history of DTs with severe knee injuries is very strong....

Baker was seen as a bit of a reach but he was considered to be better than Duane Brown....who has since played at an All Pro level.

Peters has outperformed. Bierman has outperformed but obviously isn't a great player. I still think Massaquoi will be a good pro.

Konz should be better but isn't.

It hasn't been a great run. I'm more inclined to think thats the result of coaching rather than scouting but I know others disagree.

Jerry was the consensus #2 DT that year...then his knee exploded. I don't think the history of DTs with severe knee injuries is very strong....

Baker was seen as a bit of a reach but he was considered to be better than Duane Brown....who has since played at an All Pro level.

Peters has outperformed. Bierman has outperformed but obviously isn't a great player. I still think Massaquoi will be a good pro.

Konz should be better but isn't.

It hasn't been a great run. I'm more inclined to think thats the result of coaching rather than scouting but I know others disagree.

truth

Just trying to recall, when is the last time we drafted a line man either side of ball that, when drafted, it was a no brainer that this was going to be a solid pro? I guess Konz? Baker was an iffy from get go. I had high hopes for Mike Johnson and we see how that worked.

My point is very low expectations for low graded players has got us to this point.

The Dline as well, although very little to talk about, I guess Peters has over performed but very run of mill DT.

Defense

Peters and Biermann have both overperformed, but neither is really starting-caliber. They're both very solid rotation guys, though. Peria Jerry had sky-high potential at one point -- several comparisons were made to Warren Sapp -- but he was never the same after his knee injuries.

For whatever reason, we refuse to use Travian Robertson. Vance Walker was a fantastic pickup for a 7th rounder, but we let him get away to Oakland.

Sidbury and Matthews never really panned out. Massaquoi hasn't shown anything close to his pass-rushing dominance from his junior season at Troy, but we should give him more snaps and let him continue to develop. I have high-hopes for Goodman as a situational run defender. No idea what we have in Maponga yet.

So, honestly, I think the last defensive lineman we drafted how was supposed to be a solid starter coming out of college, who turned out that way... is Jonathan Babineaux.

Offense

Konz was supposed to be a blue-chip, sure thing. #1 rated center in the draft. I'm still stunned at how terrible he has been, coming from offensive-lineman-factory Wisconsin.

I had high hopes for both Joe Hawley and Mike Johnson, but they quickly evaporated. Hawley might still be able to show us something, though. I'm excited to see him get a chance to play center the rest of this season.

Baker was never a "sure thing," but it was assumed he would be an average starter. Unfortunately, he's only given us two solid seasons: 2008 and 2012. We can't cut him because of his salary, but we can still bench him next year and then release him in 2015.

Holmes was a reach in the draftnik community, but a lot of us saw his potential on tape. I still have hopes he can be our RT, or even our LT, of the future. I'm glad he's racking up solid experience this season.

So I think our last offensive lineman who was supposed to be good coming out of college, who has been very solid, is Justin Blalock. He's been up-and-down this season, but so have most of our vets.

Summary

Our two best drafted linemen in recent history are Jonathan Babineaux and Justin Blalock. Both were 2nd round picks. Both were drafted by Rich McKay, in 2005 and 2007 respectively.

I think TD really needs to hire an assistant or consultant to help him and his scouting team evaluate o-line and d-line talent, because they are just not getting the job done.

Great recap VirginiaFalcon! Going back to the McKay regimine is an interesting detail, I think the Jamal Anderson bust, which at the time I surely thought would be a building block for the Dline really handcuffed us as a D going forward.

Crazy to think how missing on that could spiral to today's possible demise of line, we tried to mix and match with no success what so ever.

The more I recall, he really was a dominating force in the SEC. I had high expectations.

The Falcons, unfortunately, are especially weak in the trenches. So many draft picks and free agents just haven't worked out for one reason or another. I believe this wil be a huge area of churn in the offseason both in terms of players who will become free agents, as well as those which are released. Without getting into speculation about possible targets in free agency or the draft, the sad truth is that the problems are so wide spread I am uncertain it can be resolved in a single offseason. On the bright side, there is quite a bit of talent elsewhere on both offense and defense, but the deficits on the lines makes that talent difficult to see.

Edited by TheFalconian