Did Anyone Else Notice

Knight of God

They are all trash and they can't win 2 games with this squad. Every other QB who has gotten playing time in the NFL this year can win more than 2 games with our roster.

Really, SJax isn't going to drop any other QB's pass against the Saints?

Toilolo ain't dropping the TD pass against MIA? think it was Miami.

D isn't going to allow Smith to march the Jets down the field after another QB gives them a lead?

SJax, Baker, Johnson, Jones, Ewing going to stay healthy for somebody else?

Trublood's actually going to be an effective RT for somebody else?

The rookie corners and rookie LBs will play better because they're playing with another QB?

Ryan has had a really bad stretch, but none of those QBs would take this team to the playoffs.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is false. Ryan is a big part of the whole problem right now. For some it is just easier to point the finger at other problems.

Like throwing a 5 yard pass (when you have time) and you need 10-15 yards. And checking into a run with a loaded box (happens a LOT). And not throwing to new faces, even if they're wide open, he'd rather toss into double and triple coverage to Tony or Roddy

Our OL is far, far worse than Green Bay and Pittsburgh's were.

Ryan is too reliant on his security blankets (Tony and Roddy) and doesn't have enough of a cocky, I'm about to own you mentality to succeed without a lot of help. I don't know if that is just who he is or the result of Smitty's influence on him, but a QB who isn't willing to take chances needs a dominant team around him to win a Super Bowl.

he just need his top level receivers healthy to succeed. Can't do it without them

This thread is crazy. Talk all you want about scouting other QB's, Ryan is not going anywhere. No QB can win without a TEAM around him. News flash to the individuals that don't realize that 20 million a year does not guarantee success. So what, Ryan is not ELITE. Nobody said he was. NOT better that Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees. OK, we know that, and so did the Falcons. He is in the next group, and guess what, the market says he gets 20 million a year. Get over it.

The Falcons have had too many injuries to overcome. There was no NFL rule that states we HAVE to have a winning season every year. Some of our so call fans live in "La-La" land. Losing is a part of life, my 9 year old knows that and deal with it better than most of the posters on this board.

Our OL is far, far worse than Green Bay and Pittsburgh's were.

Ryan is too reliant on his security blankets (Tony and Roddy) and doesn't have enough of a cocky, I'm about to own you mentality to succeed without a lot of help. I don't know if that is just who he is or the result of Smitty's influence on him, but a QB who isn't willing to take chances needs a dominant team around him to win a Super Bowl.

lol, GB and Pitt OL are terrible. Our OL is terrible as well but I seen more out of our OL than there's. The biggest problem is Ryan due to his limitations and responsiblities. Ryan was a great manager but he is a horrible CEO. When he was a manager and Turner was the CEO, it was all good for Ryan till Turner failed in the playoffs. Then Ryan became CEO and he just isn't cut out for it. Ryan needs to be at his level but we are paying him to be the best CEO in the league.

While I agree it's time to let Ryan go while he is still highly valued in NFL circles, that contract is a doosy. I clearly think if Atlanta scouts Bridgewater and they think he has more potential then Ryan and can make our weapons much more explosive, then you need to trade Ryan. There will be teams who will pay like the Jets, Browns, Raiders, Vikings and not think twice about it. But Ryan is a franchise QB but if you are SURE Bridgewater will be much better you take him. You don't pass on Michael Jordan because you have Clyde Drexler. You just don't do that. Trust your scouts, if you don't think he will be better than Ryan potentially or they are even, then you take Clowney.

Why should anyone trust this franchise's scouts? What have they ever done that would make you think they're capable of making that call?

I actually think the coaches think some of the guys are good because they are practicing garbage against garbage and it looks good in practice until they face better talent in the games. I think they should still do their jobs too. I think Ryan is tired of getting hit. He's even starting to look disinterested because he can't do what he wants to do. I almost feel like they won't win another game this season. We will really be fighting for the first pick in the draft. If we get it we gotta go stud D lineman off top. I wouldn't mind clowney if a stud DT is available in FA. If not trade back into the first and take a stud DT to add with Clowney. That would be Osi, Clowney, stud DT, Peters and hopefully somebody decent in FA. Also fill the oline with a stud in FA if available. It won't take much to fix the team but it's all on the lines.

Word

This thread is crazy. Talk all you want about scouting other QB's, Ryan is not going anywhere. No QB can win without a TEAM around him. News flash to the individuals that don't realize that 20 million a year does not guarantee success. So what, Ryan is not ELITE. Nobody said he was. NOT better that Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Brees. OK, we know that, and so did the Falcons. He is in the next group, and guess what, the market says he gets 20 million a year. Get over it.

The Falcons have had too many injuries to overcome. There was no NFL rule that states we HAVE to have a winning season every year. Some of our so call fans live in "La-La" land. Losing is a part of life, my 9 year old knows that and deal with it better than most of the posters on this board.

The $20 million/year is for the established group A QB's you named. The only one that isn't in that level is Flacco, but you can't argue his postseason record, I'd be fine if Ryan had it and got paid that much

Really, SJax isn't going to drop any other QB's pass against the Saints?

Toilolo ain't dropping the TD pass against MIA? think it was Miami.

D isn't going to allow Smith to march the Jets down the field after another QB gives them a lead?

SJax, Baker, Johnson, Jones, Ewing going to stay healthy for somebody else?

Trublood's actually going to be an effective RT for somebody else?

The rookie corners and rookie LBs will play better because they're playing with another QB?

Ryan has had a really bad stretch, but none of those QBs would take this team to the playoffs.

Meh, you are the King of bringing up one play in a game to blame others for Ryan's failures. If Ryan would have stepped up and played to the level you praised him in the past of being on, we wouldn't even have this issue. You really think Brady or Payton would be putting up average scoring numbers with weapons like Gonzo, Julio, and Roddy? Come on son. I told you years ago to stop ridding Ryan like he's Seabiscuit and you never learned.

After everyone on both sides of the Ryan discussion have had their say, there remains one incontrovertible fact: Matt Ryan is being paid like a QB with the talent, leadership and athleticism to put a struggling team on his back and get the job done, but he is just not that guy. He is not performing like an elite QB, regardless of the shaky OL play, and we all know it's been terrible. But throw out these last few games of his. Take a long, hard look at Ryan's performances in the play-offs. We're talking average, at best. Hardly elite. One win and 10 turnovers in his play-off career are not something that can be ignored or glossed over.

Now let's take a hard look at Ryan's performance in rivalry games, nationally televised games and games against top-tier talent. His one shining hour was the game against the Giants when the Falcons had everything go their way and beat them 35-0. Other than that, Ryan has not performed at an elite level. Now going back to his contract extension. I liked Ryan, but I was not for handing him a $100 million deal. He simply hadn't proven he was worth that then and that's still true now.

However you want to slice it, again the fact remains Ryan has not been worth $20 million a season. He may someday reach that level and be able to carry a team and honestly earn $20 million a season, but at this point, I don't see that as a realistic possibility any more. The Falcons are now basically saddled with little more than an above-average QB with no mobility and a penchant for turning the ball over in the big games and play-offs and a roster of average to below-average players. Add in keeping Smith and TD around and you do not have a recipe for a quick bounce-back to respectability in 2014.

After everyone on both sides of the Ryan discussion have had their say, there remains one incontrovertible fact: Matt Ryan is being paid like a QB with the talent, leadership and athleticism to put a struggling team on his back and get the job done, but he is just not that guy. He is not performing like an elite QB, regardless of the shaky OL play, and we all know it's been terrible. But throw out these last few games of his. Take a long, hard look at Ryan's performances in the play-offs. We're talking average, at best. Hardly elite. One win and 10 turnovers in his play-off career are not something that can be ignored or glossed over.

Now let's take a hard look at Ryan's performance in rivalry games, nationally televised games and games against top-tier talent. His one shining hour was the game against the Giants when the Falcons had everything go their way and beat them 35-0. Other than that, Ryan has not performed at an elite level. Now going back to his contract extension. I liked Ryan, but I was not for handing him a $100 million deal. He simply hadn't proven he was worth that then and that's still true now.

However you want to slice it, again the fact remains Ryan has not been worth $20 million a season. He may someday reach that level and be able to carry a team and honestly earn $20 million a season, but at this point, I don't see that as a realistic possibility any more. The Falcons are now basically saddled with little more than an above-average QB with no mobility and a penchant for turning the ball over in the big games and play-offs and a roster of average to below-average players. Add in keeping Smith and TD around and you do not have a recipe for a quick bounce-back to respectability in 2014.

I agree. He wasn't worth that contract but only Rodgers Brady and Manning are.

Why should anyone trust this franchise's scouts? What have they ever done that would make you think they're capable of making that call?

Honestly, they have made some good picks when they draft for potential (Julio, Alford, Moore) and not NFL readiness (Jerry, Peters, Bierrman, Sidbury). They need to draft for potential, they do a good job at that but no more, he ready to play from Day 1 and he's a late 1st or 2nd or 3rd rounder. Those have been busts 9 out of 10 times for TD and crew.