Did Anyone Else Notice

Knight of God

The $20 million/year is for the established group A QB's you named. The only one that isn't in that level is Flacco, but you can't argue his postseason record, I'd be fine if Ryan had it and got paid that much

Well, the NFL world doesn't work that way. Name a top 10 QB that got let go by his team because they didn't want to pay him? QB is the most sought after position in the NFL. If you get a good one, you keep them. Peyton was let go by the Colts b/c they paid him 26 million for a year on the sidelines and they had a chance to draft the best young QB since Peyton. You don't draft good players and see them develop only to let them walk because you don't want to pay them. Nobody that know anything about the NFL was saying let Ryan walk. And for what, a maybe at QB? Colin Kapernick along with Russell Wilson were the flavors of the year last season. Wilson is doing fine, but Colin Kapernick has taken a step back. NFL QBs that can really help give their team a shot to win ARE NOT a dime a dozen.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the NFL world doesn't work that way. Name a top 10 QB that got let go by his team because they didn't want to pay him? QB is the most sought after position in the NFL. If you get a good one, you keep them. Peyton was let go by the Colts b/c they paid him 26 million for a year on the sidelines and they had a chance to draft the best young QB since Peyton. You don't draft good players and see them develop only to let them walk because you don't want to pay them. Nobody that know anything about the NFL was saying let Ryan walk. And for what, a maybe at QB? Colin Kapernick along with Russell Wilson were the flavors of the year last season. Wilson is doing fine, but Colin Kapernick has taken a step back. NFL QBs that can really help give their team a shot to win ARE NOT a dime a dozen.

Wilson and Keap are both better than Ryan right now. Flavor of the month... then what was Ryan. Bernie Madoff of the decade.

Ryan's game has steadily slid since the Jet's game. He's narrowing the difference between TD's and INT's. There are too many problems on this team for anyone to suggest that he is the problem, but his play is definitely contributing to the team's problems, more than helping them overcome them. He's not worth last year's pay right now. For the moment, I see it as a slump, but even E. Manning had one earlier this season and now they've won four in a row. So Ryan needs to snap out of it soon.

Matt Ryan is one career ending injury from me becoming his biggest fan.

Matt Ryan aside, you could disappear forever and nobody here would ever even notice you've left.

Enjoy your throwaway with a cheeseball name but understand this one thing. You're opinion here means nothing and it became that as soon as you chose the troll name. You're basically just something to laugh at. A truly invisible man.

Carry on tiger. You get em!

After everyone on both sides of the Ryan discussion have had their say, there remains one incontrovertible fact: Matt Ryan is being paid like a QB with the talent, leadership and athleticism to put a struggling team on his back and get the job done, but he is just not that guy. He is not performing like an elite QB, regardless of the shaky OL play, and we all know it's been terrible. But throw out these last few games of his. Take a long, hard look at Ryan's performances in the play-offs. We're talking average, at best. Hardly elite. One win and 10 turnovers in his play-off career are not something that can be ignored or glossed over.

Now let's take a hard look at Ryan's performance in rivalry games, nationally televised games and games against top-tier talent. His one shining hour was the game against the Giants when the Falcons had everything go their way and beat them 35-0. Other than that, Ryan has not performed at an elite level. Now going back to his contract extension. I liked Ryan, but I was not for handing him a $100 million deal. He simply hadn't proven he was worth that then and that's still true now.

However you want to slice it, again the fact remains Ryan has not been worth $20 million a season. He may someday reach that level and be able to carry a team and honestly earn $20 million a season, but at this point, I don't see that as a realistic possibility any more. The Falcons are now basically saddled with little more than an above-average QB with no mobility and a penchant for turning the ball over in the big games and play-offs and a roster of average to below-average players. Add in keeping Smith and TD around and you do not have a recipe for a quick bounce-back to respectability in 2014.

You are still missing the point. Have you ever heard anybody around the NFL say Ryan was ELITE? By definition, its the best of the best. The best of the best don't always get the most money. The economic of the NFL don't work that way. The best WR to get a new deal 2 or 3 seasons ago is not going to make as much as Julio Jones in a season or two. The fact is that the money these guys get paid goes way up every couple of years. I don't think anybody thinks Ryan is an elite QB. He got paid the going rate for a top flight QB which is what anybody that has shown consistency will get.

From 2011, lets look at the top 10 passing yardage leaders: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Ben Rothelisberger and Cam Newton. Those 10 guys threw from 5400+ to just over 4000 yards. If they were free agents after 2011, they would have all received 20 million a year. Now look at the next group of ten: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Joe Flacco, Josh freeman, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Sanchez, Andy Dalton, Michael Vick, Rex Grossman, Alex Smith and Tarvaris Jackson. Not many of those guys are getting 20 million a year. They don't show the consistency that the top 10 show. So why the top 3 or 4 may be Elite, the next 6 or 7 are going to be paid just as well and just as quickly. Nobody is letting one of those top 10 go.

Like throwing a 5 yard pass (when you have time) and you need 10-15 yards. And checking into a run with a loaded box (happens a LOT). And not throwing to new faces, even if they're wide open, he'd rather toss into double and triple coverage to Tony or Roddy

And how often does he have time?

And how often does he have time to go through his reads to get to his 3-4th reads?

Don't know why he keeps calling runs into a loaded box, Maybe Smith wants to shorten the game? Lord knows I do

Meh, you are the King of bringing up one play in a game to blame others for Ryan's failures. If Ryan would have stepped up and played to the level you praised him in the past of being on, we wouldn't even have this issue. You really think Brady or Payton would be putting up average scoring numbers with weapons like Gonzo, Julio, and Roddy? Come on son. I told you years ago to stop ridding Ryan like he's Seabiscuit and you never learned.

Right, you can't answer my questions, fall back into just trying to insult me.

Coming into this year I thought he was the surefire #5 QB in the league. Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, and Ryan.

I thought no matter what adversity we'd have, we'd be OK. Ryan is a winner, he'd never have a sub .500 season like Brees has had many times.

The season starts and Ryan is definitely getting knocked around, but he keeps us in the game. Then, I'm not sure what exactly happened, maybe he gave up? Far too many times he's dinked 5 yard pass off when we need 10 or 15. He's refused throwing to unknown receivers and instead forced into double and triple coverage with receivers he's familiar with.

This being timid and soft has shown Ryan truly can't carry the team himself like many other QB's. He's barely in the top 15 QB's now.

The problem is he's paid to carry the team himself if he has to. And he just can't. Not one team is scared of Ryan when they gameplan for the week. And they don't seem to have a reason to be scared. There's undrafted QB's imposing their will better than Ryan in some games.

Harrington, Leftwich, and Redman got us 4 wins, and to my complete and utter disbelief....Ryan won't.

I never thought before this year I'd be ready to move on from Ryan, but I wouldn't react negatively if the team moved on from him and got some much needed draft picks and started over.

I've been saying this for years brother.

Edited by LotsaPoppa

Ryan's game has steadily slid since the Jet's game. He's narrowing the difference between TD's and INT's. There are too many problems on this team for anyone to suggest that he is the problem, but his play is definitely contributing to the team's problems, more than helping them overcome them. He's not worth last year's pay right now. For the moment, I see it as a slump, but even E. Manning had one earlier this season and now they've won four in a row. So Ryan needs to snap out of it soon.

Good post.

Pudge, be honest, Teddy Bridgewater would be amazing with Julio and Roddy?

Watch this game, it was Teddy's worst game of the season. muddy pocket, several overthrows but watch how he adjusted to pressure and how he change his style of play. This is the hardest thing for a college QB to do. All QB's look great when their pocket is clean but watch this:

Is Matt Ryan the best QB to ever play the game? No, hes not. Can he be? Probably not. What he is is the best QB in the history of this team.

Yes he is having an up and down season but it happens to everyone. Its hard to win games when the o-line is atrocious, 1 and 2 WRs hurt, TE older and slower, inconsistent running game, a vanilla game plan, inconsistent QB play, and a defense who has maybe 3 players who would start on another team. Weve been killed by injuries and we have a pretty rough schedule.

To single out one player (Matt Ryan, SJax, Asante, DeCoud, etc.) Is asinine. If one bad season makes you question the team, maybe you arent that much of a fan. I know, I know "ive been a fan since day one, blah blah blah" if youve been a fan since day one wouldnt you be excited about the team and what theyve done these past 5 seasons? Its the most success this franchise has ever seen. Its just a bump in the road right now...

You are still missing the point. Have you ever heard anybody around the NFL say Ryan was ELITE? By definition, its the best of the best. The best of the best don't always get the most money. The economic of the NFL don't work that way. The best WR to get a new deal 2 or 3 seasons ago is not going to make as much as Julio Jones in a season or two. The fact is that the money these guys get paid goes way up every couple of years. I don't think anybody thinks Ryan is an elite QB. He got paid the going rate for a top flight QB which is what anybody that has shown consistency will get.

From 2011, lets look at the top 10 passing yardage leaders: Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Ben Rothelisberger and Cam Newton. Those 10 guys threw from 5400+ to just over 4000 yards. If they were free agents after 2011, they would have all received 20 million a year. Now look at the next group of ten: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Joe Flacco, Josh freeman, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Sanchez, Andy Dalton, Michael Vick, Rex Grossman, Alex Smith and Tarvaris Jackson. Not many of those guys are getting 20 million a year. They don't show the consistency that the top 10 show. So why the top 3 or 4 may be Elite, the next 6 or 7 are going to be paid just as well and just as quickly. Nobody is letting one of those top 10 go.

Several pundits have put him up there and said it. That aside you seem to be the only one in this thread capable of separating emotion from rational thought. Keep it up. Listen to this guy folks. Might learn something.

So is the guy above you edited l for respect.