Coach Smith Will Be Respectfully Fired After The Final Game (Loss) Of This Miserable Season

Firing Smith may or may not be the right thing to do, but it won't matter if TD does his job as terrible next off season as he did it this past off season. Just an epic fail on his part. The injuries didn't help, but he set the Falcons up for this disaster.

I agree Peyton. Smitty can only coach what he's been given and the injuries further hampered that. No coach could bring his team out of this ditch with a bad offseason coupled with major injuries to ALL your key playmakers. Just too much to overcome. As a business man I also think it's a bad business move to fire Smith knowing he's a big part of why we even are getting a new stadium. He at least has earned the right to coach the team in the new stadium. TD better have a Seahawks, niners type offseason next year and stockpile vet talent and draft well.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Peyton. Smitty can only coach what he's been given and the injuries further hampered that. No coach could bring his team out of this ditch with a bad offseason coupled with major injuries to ALL your key playmakers. Just too much to overcome. As a business man I also think it's a bad business move to fire Smith knowing he's a big part of why we even are getting a new stadium. He at least has earned the right to coach the team in the new stadium. TD better have a Seahawks, niners type offseason next year and stockpile vet talent and draft well.

He hasn't done it thus far and I don't see it starting next year. John Schneider>Dimitroff.

He hasn't done it thus far and I don't see it starting next year. John Schneider>Dimitroff.

I think he's forced to do it now. He's got his allstar offense. We will have a ton of money in the offseason for big moves. I think he knows he has to do it. The lines were just too dismal this season on both sides of the ball. This offseason should be his heaviest played free angency. If he doesn't then id put TD on the hot seat first. Then smith.

it will all make sense after the last game (loss) of the season and we go 3-13

Trust me when I say Arthur has already formed a committee to look for Smith's replacement. He will fire Coach Smith with all the diginity he rightfully deserves. Both the DC and OC will go too along with almost all of the coaching staff.

Arthur is not just accepting this as a bad season with so much on the line. This is his investment and gamble, and he will not just sit around and give Smith a pass or another year. It is quite obvious that coach Smith has peeked and its time for a change. He is not getting the most out of his players nor develoing depth/talent.

I do think TD is safe and the one who is privately looking on behalf of Arthur. Personally I fault TD too but Arthur has no one else to turn to and Mckay has proven his weaknesses and given a job that separates him from making any player decisions.

Remember who owns this team, a man who never played football but has the business mind and smarts to suceed at the most unlikely business he has ever owned. He will not let this ride nor give him another year. All the Brave hype for moving is not good press for the Falcons downtown and the new stadium.

This is going to be a tough decision for Blank.

Kroy Bierman, Sean Weatherspoon, Assante Samuel, Roddy White, Julio Jones, and a myriad of other injuries I can't even remember right now.

Those are some tough injuries for a team to overcome, but sadly, the Falcons roster isn't near as talented as too many other NFL teams and something has to be done about it....somehow, Mike Smith may get one more year....but it better be a good one if He does.

I think he's forced to do it now. He's got his allstar offense. We will have a ton of money in the offseason for big moves. I think he knows he has to do it. The lines were just too dismal this season on both sides of the ball. This offseason should be his heaviest played free angency. If he doesn't then id put TD on the hot seat first. Then smith.

Good post. But I will still take the I will have to see it to believe it.

What good are play-off wins? Do play-off wins get you a Lombardi?

That sounds like a question Smitty would ask.

To answer, yes at it happens winning four in a single postseason guarantees a Lombardi, but it can be done with as little as three. I did notice you asked about playoff wins though. That's an unknown concept for Mike Smith.

That sounds like a question Smitty would ask.

To answer, yes at it happens winning four in a single postseason guarantees a Lombardi, but it can be done with as little as three. I did notice you asked about playoff wins though. That's an unknown concept for Mike Smith.

Only 4, or 3 in a row. So no. The only thing that gets you a Lombardi is winning the Superbowl, so all this talk of winning a game or two in the play-offs is pointless. Bill Belichick and Mike Smith have had the same amount of success in the past nine years per TATF logic.

Edited by Free Radical

Only 4, or 3 in a row. So no. The only thing that gets you a Lombardi is winning the Superbowl, so all this talk of winning a game or two in the play-offs is pointless. Bill Belichick and Mike Smith have had the same amount of success in the past nine years per TATF logic.

The Super Bowl is a playoff game. BTW the past nine years includes a SB victory for BB. I'm not sure what TATF logic is, but what is pointless is minimizing the importance of playoff victories. That is not logic of any sort, except perhaps 'TATF logic' because I doubt it would occur anywhere else.

it will all make sense after the last game (loss) of the season and we go 3-13

Trust me when I say Arthur has already formed a committee to look for Smith's replacement. He will fire Coach Smith with all the diginity he rightfully deserves. Both the DC and OC will go too along with almost all of the coaching staff.

Arthur is not just accepting this as a bad season with so much on the line. This is his investment and gamble, and he will not just sit around and give Smith a pass or another year. It is quite obvious that coach Smith has peeked and its time for a change. He is not getting the most out of his players nor develoing depth/talent.

I do think TD is safe and the one who is privately looking on behalf of Arthur. Personally I fault TD too but Arthur has no one else to turn to and Mckay has proven his weaknesses and given a job that separates him from making any player decisions.

Remember who owns this team, a man who never played football but has the business mind and smarts to suceed at the most unlikely business he has ever owned. He will not let this ride nor give him another year. All the Brave hype for moving is not good press for the Falcons downtown and the new stadium.

That fine as long as TD goes with them. If your going to clean house than clean house but I say he get's another year.

Assuming both Gonzo and Samuel are gone, Falcons will have 20-25 mil to play in FA. That'll get a couple of solid Oline/Dline pieces.

They'll also have a top 3-5 pick, maybe even higher. A real game changer for the D's front 7 will be there first pick, then, grab a RG with your 2nd pick and this team is immediately much better. Or a huge trade getting tons of picks from a QB needy team. Either option would make all the difference in the world.

Good off season, this team will be back in the thick of things.

Teams who win championships don't go crazy spending in free agency . We need a piece or two but we should be building through draft

Assuming both Gonzo and Samuel are gone, Falcons will have 20-25 mil to play in FA. That'll get a couple of solid Oline/Dline pieces.

They'll also have a top 3-5 pick, maybe even higher. A real game changer for the D's front 7 will be there first pick, then, grab a RG with your 2nd pick and this team is immediately much better. Or a huge trade getting tons of picks from a QB needy team. Either option would make all the difference in the world.

Good off season, this team will be back in the thick of things.

I agree

Old. Coulda kept Abe and turner for that matter. I argued with everybody last season that the line was the issue opening holes and now it's worse than it was last year with turner.

but that's what I mean TD tried to patch work certain areas instead of offering a clean rebuild / reboot

I don't see us going crazy in free agency plus there is not many big names or big pieces out there

Alex Mack - makes the most sense out of any player

but that's what I mean TD tried to patch work certain areas instead of offering a clean rebuild / reboot

I don't see us going crazy in free agency plus there is not many big names or big pieces out there

Alex Mack - makes the most sense out of any player

I agree with the patchwork. I don't think it necessarily has to be a big name move but the right moves and we're right back on top.

In my humble opinion I don't think Smitty makes it to 2014. My reasoning is that I give Blank a lot of credit for being a brilliant business man. Any smart retailer knows that you fix a product before it gets a bad reputation in the market place and you let your customers know that the below standards for your product will not be tolerated by you personally.

If Blank were to be made aware of a his hammer department at Home Depot was selling defective hammers he is going to fix the problem as soon as possible. He is not going to wait until everyone stops buying hammers because by then you have created a reputation that is difficult and time-consuming to recover (he is already had to repair that rep once and he is not going to want to do it again). As a businessman you must act boldy and decisively if you see a problem so that your customers will continue to have confidence in your brand.

Your next comment might be 'well based on that theory he should be fired now'. Well, no, because Blank is also very careful to try to let people leave his orginization with as much dignity as possible(this is a philosophy talked about in the book 'winning friends and influencing people' that I am sure Blank has read). He would never walk back to the Hammer section at a Home Depot in the middle of the manager's shift and fire him on the spot. He would wait until after his shift and sit down with him man to man and let him know that he will not be back the next shift. Besides a new coach right now will not do any good for the fans morale this year but if this happens again next year he would not be able to afford another losing season to the Falcons 'brand and reputation' which is what he is ultimately repsonsible for.

This is why I am positive Blank will fire Smitty this offseason IF he is sure that there is a problem with him. Now there are many things that we don't know that goes on behind close doors and maybe there are things we don't know. But I do believe Arthur sees the same things we all see and will not 'gamble' another season just to 'see if things gets better'. That is how failed operations run their businesses. Successful orgnizations spot a problem and fix it immediately and by all accounts Blank knows how to run a successful orginization.

That's my 2 cents, anyway...

A very well thought out and well-reasoned rebuttal. I think the key is with all the injuries, it would be very difficult for Blank to come to the inescapable conclusion this season is largely due to Smith's failures as a head coach. I have no way to confirm this, but I would have to assume Blank and TD discussed Smith's status already and that's why TD gave Smith a vote of confidence recently. I frankly hope you're right, but looking at all the signals, I'd say there's almost no chance Smith will get fired at the end of the season.