Coach Smith Will Be Respectfully Fired After The Final Game (Loss) Of This Miserable Season

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is tricky but he probably wont be going anywhere, but what happens if we have another disappointing season. Would you rather wait until it is obvious we need change or catch it early.

I am an actual realist. (not the pseudo objective kind we see here daily) It has nothing to do with me or my feelings. Mike Smith is not going anywhere.

Maybe I'm naïve but I have to believe that Smith, the coaches, Blank, and all the players realize this has been a problem. At some point in time, I have to believe that Smith backed away as a test to himself... but I could be wrong. I just have to believe that Smith at some point told his coordinators go win this game.

After wasting quite a while looking at every game from 2008-2012 this is what the overall picture is with the scoring in the first and second halves.

First Half | Second Half

Falcons- 1104 |888

Opponent- 757 | 830

The second half was only separated by 2012 basically where we outscored them by 48 points.

I don't think we shocked every opponent in the first half by scheme over the course of 80 games. We weren't THAT under the radar The one constant in the second halves of all of our games during that time was conservatism in the second half with Turner and running clock. Except for last season where we had no running game and managed to turn the tables in the second halves of that season.

So ask yourself, what was so important to those good seasons? Was it the explosiveness in the first half or the Smittyball formula of ball control in the second halves that we were so used to?

(of course I'm not going to claim that we ran clock in every game but it was the norm more so than anything else)

The answer is kinda obvious. We were getting leads and watching them melt away by the relaxation of the second half.

We have now seen that the main ingredient of Smittyball is lost(the run game) plus a few injuries. The future problem was there all along, IMO. Smittyball allowing opponents back into it and being relaxed in the second halves helped us squeak by for a limited time. Once Turner's production went down due to age + the failure to address the OL, it took a big bite in our butt. And here we sit watching the team that was squeaking by with so many last minute wins after relaxing in the second half unable to continue that same formula because of neglect of the OL from TD AND SMITH regrading his Smittyball philosophy.

People want to say that all we need to do is fix the OL and we'll be ok. Smittyball was a crutch that helped us limp through for Turner's time. It's a house of cards.

Others want to say it is lack of talent. If that is so, that still falls to the feet of Smith and TD that have worked together to bring in this bunch. Either they truly did bring in bad talent or maybe they can't coach em up. Either way, it's on THEM!

Some others say it was the injuries. Well, who decided to fire the freakin Strength and conditioning coach and why!? Even that falls at their feet.

It's a philosophy breakdown. The players look to have given up. There's no relying on the defense because it has been as neglected as another part, if not more.

We need a change in philosophy AND personnel evaluation.

Let Nolan take over the reigns and allow him to build a good defense as he is accustomed to doing. Build the lines and find the right guy to command the only strength of our team. The front loaded skill position roster on Offense. This team is invested into the skill positions and the foundation of Smittyball has burned down.

Edited by MDFMK

The same logic could be applied to the GM that totally d*cked up this football team.

I totally agree with this. This with everything I said in the other post, does beg the question; is it the cooks fault that the food sucks, or is it the fault of the one that didn't buy the best groceries and ingredients to optimise the talents of the cook.

I totally agree with this. This with everything I said in the other post, does beg the question; is it the cooks fault that the food sucks, or is it the fault of the one that didn't buy the best groceries and ingredients to optimise the talents of the cook.

I get it but bad analogy. A good chef can make sh*t taste good. I seriously just came from a Miami chef Ramen noodle competition. It was amazing.

Ok, I disagree completely. I think the team way overachieved in 2010 and got beat by a much better football team in the playoffs, then in 2012 they just got beat by a team that was just a little bit better.

Nobody outside of Atlanta thought the Falcons were the favorites for the Super Bowl in either of those years.

I would watch the games and wonder why we cant put teams away, but I was satisfied because most the games resulted in a win in 2012. We caught alot of lucky breaks in 2012. This year we have not had those same lucky breaks. WE have failed to address positional needs for 4 years, nor have we developed talent. We continue to see the same problems that have been there all along but with the injuries and teams getting better we are seeing the FAlcons for what they are my friend

I get it but bad analogy. A good chef can make sh*t taste good. I seriously just came from a Miami chef Ramen noodle competition. It was amazing.

woah, woah, woah... Ramen noodle competition? i'm intrigued. I know the analogy is flawed but it is the only way i could think off the top of my head to support a discussion of Smith or TD in an analogy. Besides, with what you're saying about good chefs making good stuff, then that leads us back to Smith being the problem.

Firing td and Smith would be a mistake they've earned it with their early successes. That oline isn't far from fixed.

It's worse than it was only a couple of years ago.

If I hire someone to build me a house and they build a childrens fort, the faith in them to actually build the house goes out the window.

It's really hard to see smith still here next year. You guys are saying yes he did win the most games here as a coach or whatever. The thing to focus on is the fact that he hasn't had any success outside of the regular season and now this?!?! If you add that up he should be fired.one playoff win and ahorrible losing season. Defense still not improved for him to be a defensive coach. Sorry

Blalock is capable but he does piss me off. One of the biggest underachiever's on the team.

Dude is collecting a big check and giving little performance. We would save 500k in cap by saving him and we could just pay another FA Vet Guard to replace him. ON a strong online having blalock and his weaknesses may not be as bad but on our online and the fact that we may get younger next year, having Blalock only makes our online worse.

Dude is collecting a big check and giving little performance. We would save 500k in cap by saving him and we could just pay another FA Vet Guard to replace him. ON a strong online having blalock and his weaknesses may not be as bad but on our online and the fact that we may get younger next year, having Blalock only makes our online worse.

They'd have 7 mil of dead money, they'd have to sign a LG for that 500,000.

Can't see that happening next year, too many other holes to fill.