Coach Smith Will Be Respectfully Fired After The Final Game (Loss) Of This Miserable Season

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, with his talent evaluation skills so obviously in questiion now, and his bad projections on how good his drafted players are or should be, I think TD has to do a lot of talking to explain to AB what happened this season. Injuries are not all of it, not at all.

Then there is Rich McKay, with the new stadium deal done, he willl be looking for a new project. Perhaps McKay will be taking a more active role in acquirijng talent? Might not be a bad thing...

McKay drafted Jamaal Anderson with a no 8 overall pick...so no to McKay.

He was given his second chance last year after blowing the second playoff lead of which the players didn't save for him at the last second. This season is supposed to be his second second chance?

Smith didn't trip and fall down on a sure TD. He didn't drop a QB snap. He didn't make Vernon Davis look like a 260 lb. Jerry Rice. Players win games, not coaches. That was two great teams slugging it out and the Falcons choked.. it's that simple.

Smith didn't trip and fall down on a sure TD. He didn't drop a QB snap. He didn't make Vernon Davis look like a 260 lb. Jerry Rice. Players win games, not coaches. That was two great teams slugging it out and the Falcons choked.. it's that simple.

Don't act like it was a shocker to see the Falcons fold a large lead.

0 points in the second half! The second half blues were here before Koetter and Nolan. Those coordinators got the axe. Keep trying to roll the crap downhill. It's piled up to Smith's ankles.

Keep saying this, people don't get it. At times this year, Falcons have had exactly 2 starters lining up at the same position on offense, compared to the playoff games last year, and on the D, 4 starters from the playoffs. Between injuries, cuts & retirements, Falcons have been playing with anywhere from 12-16 different starters than the 22 who started last years playoffs.

No way to get a good read on this team this year- I'll be really surprised if Smith is fired this year.

This might be where personnel decisions are questioned. I can't argue with some of them but in the case of last year I think most people would have said:

Jackson > Turner (to take it further I think most would have argued Quizz/Snelling > Turner the way he got abused on the boards.

Konz > McClure (this lead to a shift with Reynolds taking over for Konz at RG)

Obviously Julio being lost after week 5 and Roddy being gimpy all year have severely hurt our receiving group. Tony is still here and while Ewing was the starter I don't know that most would be claiming that Mike Cox being gone is a huge loss.

I say that to say I think most thought we were in better shape with those personnel changes on offense. Doesn't account for Roddy not being 100% in the first 5 but an injury to one of your starting receivers is hardly enough of an excuse.

If Smith IS fired at the end of the season, who do we bring in? A retread who was FIRED from their previous stint that's a "big name" or a new no name nobody like say um....how Smith was when we brought him in?

My guess is they'd go for a coordinator who has not had a HC job before but seems to be getting a lot of consideration from other teams.

Don't act like it was a shocker to see the Falcons fold a large lead.

0 points in the second half! The second half blues were here before Koetter and Nolan. Those coordinators got the axe. Keep trying to roll the crap downhill. It's piled up to Smith's ankles.

I'm getting old and losing my memory so you may be right here. I just don't remember the second half blues being nearly as evident as they were last year. Even still, I've tried to come up with a logical reason and the only thing that makes sense to me is the lack of talent catches up to them. I've noticed in many games how the offensive playcalling seems to go against what all the pundits are predicting and it works well early on. Then the other team adjusts and the Falcons just don't have the manpower to mix it up. They are forced to become one-dimensional.

This might be where personnel decisions are questioned. I can't argue with some of them but in the case of last year I think most people would have said:

Jackson > Turner (to take it further I think most would have argued Quizz/Snelling > Turner the way he got abused on the boards.

Konz > McClure (this lead to a shift with Reynolds taking over for Konz at RG)

Obviously Julio being lost after week 5 and Roddy being gimpy all year have severely hurt our receiving group. Tony is still here and while Ewing was the starter I don't know that most would be claiming that Mike Cox being gone is a huge loss.

I say that to say I think most thought we were in better shape with those personnel changes on offense. Doesn't account for Roddy not being 100% in the first 5 but an injury to one of your starting receivers is hardly enough of an excuse.

2 weeks ago, Falcons had Ryan and Blalock playing in the same positions as in the playoff game, the other 9 players were different. It's hardly just an injury to one of your WRs.

D is much the same way.

This has been a clusterf### of a year, but there's no way to draw conclusions based on the team that's out on the field now as opposed to the team the Falcons thought they would field.

I'm getting old and losing my memory so you may be right here. I just don't remember the second half blues being nearly as evident as they were last year. Even still, I've tried to come up with a logical reason and the only thing that makes sense to me is the lack of talent catches up to them. I've noticed in many games how the offensive playcalling seems to go against what all the pundits are predicting and it works well early on. Then the other team adjusts and the Falcons just don't have the manpower to mix it up. They are forced to become one-dimensional.

Mike Smith's modus operandi has been to sit on leads and eat the clock with Turner. The was the second half adjustment consistently made by him and his staff. It only got him so far. Take a look or just remember that the Falcons, from 2008 to this season, had the most last minute comeback wins than any other team. Just imagine how thrilled people would be with that regular season record if "Matty Ice" didn't make so many great plays to bail out the Smittyball philosophy that stalled so many second halves.

Take a look at the first half scoring versus the second half scoring. The Falcons have been consistently outscored in the second half BECAUSE of Smith's style. He is proving that is his ok up to a point but doesn't have what it takes to go the extra mile. Couple with that his hiring choices and his assistance with TD in the personnel choices and I don't see why he is being honored as some amazing HC. He's a glorified cheerleader that is getting way too much credit when the team wins DESPITE him, not because of his Smittyball style.

Mike Smith's modus operandi has been to sit on leads and eat the clock with Turner. The was the second half adjustment consistently made by him and his staff. It only got him so far. Take a look or just remember that the Falcons, from 2008 to this season, had the most last minute comeback wins than any other team. Just imagine how thrilled people would be with that regular season record if "Matty Ice" didn't make so many great plays to bail out the Smittyball philosophy that stalled so many second halves.

Take a look at the first half scoring versus the second half scoring. The Falcons have been consistently outscored in the second half BECAUSE of Smith's style. He is proving that is his ok up to a point but doesn't have what it takes to go the extra mile. Couple with that his hiring choices and his assistance with TD in the personnel choices and I don't see why he is being honored as some amazing HC. He's a glorified cheerleader that is getting way too much credit when the team wins DESPITE him, not because of his Smittyball style.

Maybe I'm naïve but I have to believe that Smith, the coaches, Blank, and all the players realize this has been a problem. At some point in time, I have to believe that Smith backed away as a test to himself... but I could be wrong. I just have to believe that Smith at some point told his coordinators go win this game.

2 weeks ago, Falcons had Ryan and Blalock playing in the same positions as in the playoff game, the other 9 players were different. It's hardly just an injury to one of your WRs.

D is much the same way.

This has been a clusterf### of a year, but there's no way to draw conclusions based on the team that's out on the field now as opposed to the team the Falcons thought they would field.

My point is that for most of those positions being different they were deemed to be upgrades or improvements. That's why I said you can question personnel decisions there.

I still feel like it's not just about the injuries and changes though. I feel like the issues on the Oline are absolutely more about coaching than lack of talent.

you just said: Nobody cares or remembers regular season.

and then you counter with the above?

You can look good and you can look bad in ANY game you play. You can point out flaws no matter what the scenario. Even preseason.

I dont get this whole argument from the other side. So youre telling me you dont care about the playoffs and trophies? You are fine with 13 wins and then sitting on the couch? Seriously?

1-4 in the playoffs trumps whatever you did in the regular season. Thats how this game works!

Its like you just choose to ignore that fact.

My point is that for most of those positions being different they were deemed to be upgrades or improvements. That's why I said you can question personnel decisions there.

I still feel like it's not just about the injuries and changes though. I feel like the issues on the Oline are absolutely more about coaching than lack of talent.

Oline has had 4 out of 5 starters different from last years, and several weeks, a DIFFERENT 4 out of 5. Impossible to get a coherent group going with that change. That's why Smith and, probably Koetter, are going to get a pass for this year.

Well I don't think Smith will be fired. I think he will get one more year. However, I won't be surprised if he does get fired either.

I personally think it is just a matter of time though till we need a regime change. TD and Smith were hand in hand as architects of the teams Achilles Heel: the awful lines. I don't think either one of them is capable of righting that defect either, or they would not have been so inept to begin with. I hope I am wrong though because if we had someone who could actually evaluate some line talent, we would have won a Superbowl by now.

Oline has had 4 out of 5 starters different from last years, and several weeks, a DIFFERENT 4 out of 5. Impossible to get a coherent group going with that change. That's why Smith and, probably Koetter, are going to get a pass for this year.

At this point in the season they should be coming together a lot better than they are.