Coach Smith Will Be Respectfully Fired After The Final Game (Loss) Of This Miserable Season

Nono

No one is happy about that and it's clear this team has multiple issues, but it won't lead to Smith's dismissal,...not yet. He'll be given a mulligan for 2013, and given next season to right the ship. I'd say that another losing season in 2014 could lead to his being fired.

If I knew you, we could make a bet, but I only bet soda pops. I like Diet Coke. What's yours?

I don't think smith gets fired. I want TD fired. The way he built this team is ugly.

But I'm a barqs rootbeer man lol

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the message Blank would send to all potential candidates to replace Smitty if he fired him at season's end:

"I had the 2nd most wins coach over the past 6 seasons, but we had one bad year and I fired his butt. If I hire you and you have a bad year, I'll fire your butt too!"

Who would wanna come here and coach the Falcons under that premise?

That is not the message. Chicago fired Lovie Smith after going 10-6 and got a coach. Smitty's job is not secure. The Falcons over achieved last yr and the real Atlanta Falcons have emerged this yr.

I'll ask again, if we LOST to Seattle last year 28-27 would anyone be claiming Smith is safe?

Maybe not, but you're underestimating the significance of that victory. Seattle was everyone's Cinderella pick and they came in on a roll. Plus, EVERYONE knows their roster makes Atlanta's look like a college team yet the Falcons still found a way to win. That speaks to the confidence the staff instilled into the players. Personally I believe the reason the Falcons struggle in the second half is because the lack of talent catches up to them. In the first half, they're able to outscheme the other team... that's coaching...

Anyone else notice how Smitty's "make or break" season keeps getting pushed back a year? What happens if he wins a wild-card spot and loses in the first round again next year? His "make or break" season gets pushed back yet another year. Sooner or later, you've gotta bite the bullet and pull the trigger.

Smith's been great for us. He's the best head coach we've ever had. But, though we've had plenty of wins, we still see a team with the exact same problems it had when he arrived: Third down inefficiency, poor play on the lines, lack of competent play in the second half, and an inability to hold leads

I love Smitty, but he's peaked. What we've already seen is the best he's capable of in Atlanta. Now, should TD go first? Absolutely! But, as much as many of us would hate to see Smitty go, it's time.

Edited by bfarmer1980

No, he might very well have been fired then, however, doesn't really matter since he did win the game.

I agree that he may have been fired then. My only point mentioning it is when he's being evaluated, I don't think that blowing that lead and having to win in the final seconds after being up by 20 in the 4th quarter is working in his favor as much as some here seem to think. His ability to win in the playoffs was questioned and his ability to have teams that close out will probably also be questioned. I still say he was pretty much safe if he finished 6-10 or above this year but with our team heading for 4 or less wins and getting embarrassed week after week...I think all that's out the window.

All I'm saying is it will not be far fetched to me for Blank or TD to look at his body of work and say they don't like his chances to lead this team to a SuperBowl win. If they can't say they have faith in him doing that he's probably gone.

So, to recap:

Fire a guy who had one bad season in 6, and has a .652 winning percentage, and hire a guy (Gruden) who had five bad seasons in 11 years and a .540 winning percentage...oh and hasn't coached in 5 years.

The level of retardation is immense here.

Cries to hire Gruden are ridiculous. I've only seen a handful of posters throw that around though.

He planned to fire Reeves for one bad season right after a playoff run in his first year as owner.

Stop acting like you know Blank won't fire over 1 bad season. He was planning to with Reeves.

It's like the board is filled with stupid people.

1: Both TD and Smith are responsible for the players on the team. Not one or the other.

2: You don't know if Blank will give Smith a pass because(see above)

There was more to Reeve's being fired than the record. Remember Vick was out that season, so Reeves had a reason for the team not doing well...yet Blank still let Reeves go.

Blank did not like the way Reeves ran the FO, its that simple. Reeves was not the sort to give up his control of the personnel and so, Blank pulled the trugger.

I wasn't even talking about 98.

Reeves got the reactionary axe from Blank because of Vick directly following Blanks first year where we beat GB at home in the playoffs.

My point is people claiming Blank isn't known for knee-jerk reactions and that's not the truth. Reeves and even the firing of Mora Jr. after his stupid comments shows that he doesn't just sit there with his thumb up his butt.

Reeves had 4 losing seasons in 5 years, and Mora's record got worse every season, plus he consistently embarrassed himself and the franchise. No comparison really.

Maybe not, but you're underestimating the significance of that victory. Seattle was everyone's Cinderella pick and they came in on a roll. Plus, EVERYONE knows their roster makes Atlanta's look like a college team yet the Falcons still found a way to win. That speaks to the confidence the staff instilled into the players. Personally I believe the reason the Falcons struggle in the second half is because the lack of talent catches up to them. In the first half, they're able to outscheme the other team... that's coaching...

It's easy to say that now b/c we're struggling mightily but I don't buy that at all last year. Their receivers and TEs were pedestrian in comparison to ours and they had a good rookie QB but nobody was saying Wilson was better than Ryan. They had a better O line and RB but they had a suspect pass rush as well last year with Clemons tearing his ACL the week before and only having Bruce Irvin...a rookie. They also didn't stop the run that well. They were the media darlings for sure but a big part of why so many people were picking them to beat us was Atlanta's record in the postseason.

I say all that to say that going into the game I thought we'd blow them out and was not surprised to see us up by 20. I was very disheartened to see our team let them get back in it. Something that our team has consistently done since 2010. I know we have some personnel holes but at some point I have to think that coaching and coaching philosophy needs to be called into question there.

Reeves had 4 losing seasons in 5 years, and Mora's record got worse every season, plus he consistently embarrassed himself and the franchise. No comparison really.

Under Blank's time, Reeves took the team to the playoffs and had 1 bad season because of the injury to Vick. Looking to the post superbowl time, Jam going down really hurt but that wasn't Blank's concern. He wasn't even here. The point was it's stupid to act like Blank is scared of being reactionary.

Mora, as much as he is hated, took a Dan Reeves fielded team to the NFC Championship. Some times like with other teams, it requires someone, almost anyone to reignite the spark in the team to get them over the hump. A lot of coaches peak.

There was more to Reeve's being fired than the record. Remember Vick was out that season, so Reeves had a reason for the team not doing well...yet Blank still let Reeves go.

Blank did not like the way Reeves ran the FO, its that simple. Reeves was not the sort to give up his control of the personnel and so, Blank pulled the trugger.

That may be true, but him firing Reeves after the Vick injury just makes me believe that Smith being fired is more on the table than people realize.

I agree that he may have been fired then. My only point mentioning it is when he's being evaluated, I don't think that blowing that lead and having to win in the final seconds after being up by 20 in the 4th quarter is working in his favor as much as some here seem to think. His ability to win in the playoffs was questioned and his ability to have teams that close out will probably also be questioned. I still say he was pretty much safe if he finished 6-10 or above this year but with our team heading for 4 or less wins and getting embarrassed week after week...I think all that's out the window.

All I'm saying is it will not be far fetched to me for Blank or TD to look at his body of work and say they don't like his chances to lead this team to a SuperBowl win. If they can't say they have faith in him doing that he's probably gone.

Keep saying this, people don't get it. At times this year, Falcons have had exactly 2 starters lining up at the same position on offense, compared to the playoff games last year, and on the D, 4 starters from the playoffs. Between injuries, cuts & retirements, Falcons have been playing with anywhere from 12-16 different starters than the 22 who started last years playoffs.

No way to get a good read on this team this year- I'll be really surprised if Smith is fired this year.

Good Lord, some of you are just dying for your pound of flesh. You'll get it, but you won't much care for the taste - it ain't coming from the butts you're hungry for.

do you know something? Or at least have a semi-educated guess as to the "butts" you elude to???!!

He planned to fire Reeves for one bad season right after a playoff run in his first year as owner.

Stop acting like you know Blank won't fire over 1 bad season. He was planning to with Reeves.

It's like the board is filled with stupid people.

1: Both TD and Smith are responsible for the players on the team. Not one or the other.

2: You don't know if Blank will give Smith a pass because(see above)

Reeves had 4 losing seasons in 5 years before he was canned. After 3 consecutive losing seasons, most owners in Blank's situation wouldn't even have given Reeves a chance - they have fired him on day 1 when taking over.

Blank believes in stability and continuity. That and Smith's record over the last 5 years, suggests to me that a Smith will probably be given another chance - but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Smith going if the blowout losses continue to accrue and we do finish with just 2 or 3 wins.

It's easy to say that now b/c we're struggling mightily but I don't buy that at all last year. Their receivers and TEs were pedestrian in comparison to ours and they had a good rookie QB but nobody was saying Wilson was better than Ryan. They had a better O line and RB but they had a suspect pass rush as well last year with Clemons tearing his ACL the week before and only having Bruce Irvin...a rookie. They also didn't stop the run that well. They were the media darlings for sure but a big part of why so many people were picking them to beat us was Atlanta's record in the postseason.

I say all that to say that going into the game I thought we'd blow them out and was not surprised to see us up by 20. I was very disheartened to see our team let them get back in it. Something that our team has consistently done since 2010. I know we have some personnel holes but at some point I have to think that coaching and coaching philosophy needs to be called into question there.

There's no question the coaches have made a lot of boneheaded moves. It blows my mind how we still haven't figured out how to cover a TE. The playoff history was certainly a factor going into that game but nearly everyone said that the Seahawks were the one team that could take away the Falcons' strength, which is there two big WR's and TE. In general, the team with the best QB wins. If you have the best QB and defense, it's a no brainer. QB was/is still a wash and even with their injuries last year on D they were still so much better. Honestly, I can't think of any player on the Falcons D that could've started on that team.. maybe Abraham or weatherspoon. That's about it.

it will all make sense after the last game (loss) of the season and we go 3-13

Trust me when I say Arthur has already formed a committee to look for Smith's replacement. He will fire Coach Smith with all the diginity he rightfully deserves. Both the DC and OC will go too along with almost all of the coaching staff.

Arthur is not just accepting this as a bad season with so much on the line. This is his investment and gamble, and he will not just sit around and give Smith a pass or another year. It is quite obvious that coach Smith has peeked and its time for a change. He is not getting the most out of his players nor develoing depth/talent.

I do think TD is safe and the one who is privately looking on behalf of Arthur. Personally I fault TD too but Arthur has no one else to turn to and Mckay has proven his weaknesses and given a job that separates him from making any player decisions.

Remember who owns this team, a man who never played football but has the business mind and smarts to suceed at the most unlikely business he has ever owned. He will not let this ride nor give him another year. All the Brave hype for moving is not good press for the Falcons downtown and the new stadium.

The firing of Dan Reeves was less deserving than this one would be but...

It won't happen this year.

TD would not have made that statement in support of Smith if Blank were not on board.

Reeves had 4 losing seasons in 5 years before he was canned. After 3 consecutive losing seasons, most owners in Blank's situation wouldn't even have given Reeves a chance - they have fired him on day 1 when taking over.

Blank believes in stability and continuity. That and Smith's record over the last 5 years, suggests to me that a Smith will probably be given another chance - but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Smith going if the blowout losses continue to accrue and we do finish with just 2 or 3 wins.

He was given his second chance last year after blowing the second playoff lead of which the players didn't save for him at the last second. This season is supposed to be his second second chance?