Coach Smith Will Be Respectfully Fired After The Final Game (Loss) Of This Miserable Season

it will all make sense after the last game (loss) of the season and we go 3-13

Trust me when I say Arthur has already formed a committee to look for Smith's replacement. He will fire Coach Smith with all the diginity he rightfully deserves. Both the DC and OC will go too along with almost all of the coaching staff.

Arthur is not just accepting this as a bad season with so much on the line. This is his investment and gamble, and he will not just sit around and give Smith a pass or another year. It is quite obvious that coach Smith has peeked and its time for a change. He is not getting the most out of his players nor develoing depth/talent.

I do think TD is safe and the one who is privately looking on behalf of Arthur. Personally I fault TD too but Arthur has no one else to turn to and Mckay has proven his weaknesses and given a job that separates him from making any player decisions.

Remember who owns this team, a man who never played football but has the business mind and smarts to suceed at the most unlikely business he has ever owned. He will not let this ride nor give him another year. All the Brave hype for moving is not good press for the Falcons downtown and the new stadium.

Edited by Nono
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will all make sense after the last game (loss) of the season and we go 3-13

Trust me when I say Arthur has already formed a committee to look for Smith's replacement. He will fire Coach Smith with all the diginity he rightfully deserves. Both the DC and OC will go too along with almost all of the coaching staff.

Arthur is not just accepting this as a bad season with so much on the line. This is his investment and gamble, and he will not just sit around and give Smith a pass or another year. It is quite obvious that coach Smith has peeked and its time for a change. He is not getting the most out of his players nor develoing depth/talent.

I do think TD is safe and the one who is privately looking on behalf of Arthur. Personally I fault TD too but Arthur has no one else to turn to and Mckay has proven his weaknesses and given a job that separates him from making any player decisions.

Remember who owns this team, a man who never played football but has the business mind and smarts to suceed at the most unlikely business he has ever owned. He will not let this ride nor give him another year. All the Brave hype for moving is not good press for the Falcons downtown and the new stadium.

And because Blank IS a businessman, and he is NOT the Smith's (who the AJC led around by the nose), Blank is going to stick with the coach who is hands down the best we have ever had, who has shown he can win and win consistently iin the NFL, and will win again after our GM....whoever that may be....provides some NFL caliber talent to the team.

I am just glad the Smiths are not involved, Smitty would be gone already.

And because Blank IS a businessman, and he is NOT the Smith's (who the AJC led around by the nose), Blank is going to stick with the coach who is hands down the best we have ever had, who has shown he can win and win consistently iin the NFL, and will win again after our GM....whoever that may be....provides some NFL caliber talent to the team.

I am just glad the Smiths are not involved, Smitty would be gone already.

ha--thats a funny post--Rankin Smith would have moved this team alright---right out of the state of Georgia

I remember when he was threating to move to Jacksonville---sigh---sadly it looks like Jacksonville has moved here

ha--thats a funny post--Rankin Smith would have moved this team alright---right out of the state of Georgia

I remember when he was threating to move to Jacksonville---sigh---sadly it looks like Jacksonville has moved here

I give Rankin credit for getting a team here and keeping it here, the Ga Dome deal was not the best the Falcons could have done, which is one reason Blank wants a new stadium. The mismanagement of the ball club was just horrid though.

Rankin had business ties here and wanted to stay here, Jacksonville was the normal ruse to get more out of the city and state.

Edited by egoprime II

You must be speculating - no secrets there.

Ain't gonna happen, bud.

totally respect you and your talents but I disagree and you know Arthur as much as I do--he will do this with respect and at the right time.

Don't be surprised when you see Coach Smith wearing another uniform next season

totally respect you and your talents but I disagree and you know Arthur as much as I do--he will do this with respect and at the right time.

Don't be surprised when you see Coach Smith wearing another uniform next season

Neither one of us know Arthur at all. You speak as though you're his personal adviser.

Smith will still be the coach come 2014 unless he resigns, and that ain't gonna happen either.

I'm going back to bed.

Mike Smith isn't going anywhere. Real leaders respond, they don't react. And, being the leader he is, Arthur Blank isn't about to make any knee-jerk decisions based on one bad season. Mike Smith is a 3-time NFL Coach of the Year, so, given his track record since coming to the Falcons, he has earned the right to at least attempt to right this ship. With that in mind, 2014 will be the make-or-break season for Smith as far as his future with this organization, in my opinion. So, let's not be too hasty here with Smith. I'll bet Cleveland Browns fans are still wishing their organization would have stayed the course with Bill Belichick. Just sayin'...

Mike Smith isn't going anywhere. Real leaders respond, they don't react. And, being the leader he is, Arthur Blank isn't about to make any knee-jerk decisions based on one bad season. Mike Smith is a 3-time NFL Coach of the Year, so, given his track record since coming to the Falcons, he has earned the right to at least attempt to right this ship. With that in mind, 2014 will be the make-or-break season for Smith as far as his future with this organization, in my opinion. So, let's not be too hasty here with Smith. I'll bet Cleveland Browns fans are still wishing their organization would have stayed the course with Bill Belichick. Just sayin'...

You always make sense but I think we are under estimating Arthur and all the media pressence surrounding the new Stadium. It couldn't come at a worse time with repsect to Smith's job security. Arthur's pride has been hurt by all the bad press of losing. He is extremely dissapointed and the type of business guy who is a leader not a follower. This season will go from very bad to ugly in a matter of weeks and it wont be long before we hear the media vocally calling for Smith's head.

Edited by Nono

You always make sense but I think we are under estimating Arthur and all the media pressence and the new Stadium. His ego has been hurt by all the bad press of losing. He is extremely dissapointed and the type of business guy who is a leader not a follower. This season will go very bad to ugly in a matter of weeks and it wont be long before we hear the media calling for Smith's head.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but, again, leaders like Arthur Blank are of a different makeup. They have faced adversity before and they expect it over the course of pursuing their goals. Personally, I view the pressure of the Falcons QB situation from a few seasons ago as being worse than what Mr. Blank is facing now (I won't mention his name, but his jersey number was 7), and Blank will leverage what he learned in that situation to think through what is happening now with the team and develop a sound plan of action for going into next season, including who (players, coaches, staff, etc.) should stay and who should go in order to get this team to a Super Bowl - and win it. In fact, I think Blank will be particularly driven to make changes should another NFC South team (i.e. Saints, Panthers) end up winning the Super Bowl this season. I believe changes are coming, I just don't want them to be reactionary in nature, that's all I'm saying, because there are some mitigating factors to consider. That we're 2-7 is not exclusively due to poor coaching.

You always make sense but I think we are under estimating Arthur and all the media pressence surrounding the new Stadium. His pride has been hurt by all the bad press of losing. He is extremely dissapointed and the type of business guy who is a leader not a follower. This season will go from very bad to ugly in a matter of weeks and it wont be long before we hear the media vocally calling for Smith's head.

The media is absolutely the worst source of knowledge for decision making that AB could listen to. The media's job is not to build a SB winning team. The media's job is to report news and having none to report, to MAKE news.

For example, Matt Winklejohn asking Mora if the police had been called in reference to Coleman's single car accident. Winklejohn had a police report on the accident tucked into his back pocket the entire time! I never looked at Winklejohn's articles the same afterward, glad he is gone.

Coaching controversies sell papers. AB getting in front of the press saying, "No coaching changes at the HC position" does not. Which would you think the AJC prefers?

I don't necessarily disagree with you but, again, leaders like Arthur Blank are of a different makeup. They have faced adversity before and they expect it over the course of pursuing their goals. Personally, I view the pressure of the Falcons QB situation from a few seasons ago as being worse than what Mr. Blank is facing now (I won't mention his name, but his jersey number was 7), and Blank will leverage what he learned in that situation to think through what is happening now with the team and develop a sound plan of action for going into next season, including who (players, coaches, staff, etc.) should stay and who should go in order to get this team to a Super Bowl - and win it. In fact, I think Blank will be particularly driven to make changes should another NFC South team (i.e. Saints, Panthers) end up winning the Super Bowl this season. I believe changes are coming, I just don't want them to be reactionary in nature, that's all I'm saying, because there are some mitigating factors to consider. That we're 2-7 is not exclusively due to poor coaching.

Great post but here is my view on that. Having been horribly embarrassed by #7 and then Petrino, Arthur has found a winner in Mike Smith. He bought in on the type of players drafted and free agents that fit the mould of this team, small fast players, zone coverage--bend don't break and the occasional corner blitzing. Mr. Blank paid what ever he was told and went as far as a new stadium all in the hope of a Lombardi trophy--plain and simple.

It obvious to everyone that this model has failed, and it failed last year. The thinking going into this season was a couple of big free agent adds and a few tweaks and we are superbowl bound. Well, nothing could be further from the truth. We can't defend a 100 million QB, we can't run and we can stop teams in the red zone nor 3rd down. There are break downs everywhere and Coach Smith told Arthur we were close to a superbowl back in August.

Its not going to happen. Not with this team and not with this coaching staff. We are at the lowest of lows and Mike Smith's gamble failed. We ignored our trenches and loaded up on offensive weapons and we screwed the goose on this one.

No matter how you spin it, this team and the coaching staff failed and failed miserably. NO ONE gets a pass on this--Arthur is not going to wait another and hope Smith can get it right. He has never been afraid to make change when change is warranted and he does it becuase thats what he thinks about constantly. He is not happy just sitting around and enjoying all the fruits of his labor.

Like I said, wait and see

Edited by Nono

TD completely d*cked up this off season. It was pretty obvious while it was happening, and it is even more obvious now. I kinda doubt Mike Smith is going to take the fall for what should be obvious to everyone.

Yeah, with his talent evaluation skills so obviously in questiion now, and his bad projections on how good his drafted players are or should be, I think TD has to do a lot of talking to explain to AB what happened this season. Injuries are not all of it, not at all.

Then there is Rich McKay, with the new stadium deal done, he willl be looking for a new project. Perhaps McKay will be taking a more active role in acquirijng talent? Might not be a bad thing...

Guest Negatorris

Agree with you. No coach is going to make everyone on these boards happy, in fact Smitty is not my perfect choice. But Smitty has done more than anyone else has managed to do, and he has done it HERE.

Smitty gets a pass this season.

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying that it's unrealistic to think Blank would get rid of him. I'm not a big Smitty fan and I've never been, but it's apparent that Blank won't let him go that easily. People who think otherwise are mistaken. He'll be in Flowery Branch when the 2014 season rolls around.

Smith will get a pass and will be here next year. Now Hamilton and Hill the line coaches will be the sacrificial lambs and maybe just maybe Koetter but that's as high as it goes this year. Next year Smith will go into the season on the hot seat and another pitiful year will do him in but he and Nolan (possibly Koetter too) will get a pass after this year. You'll see.