Could O Line Coaching Be Our Main Problem?

A new theory occurred to me the other day. I don't know if it's right, but it makes sense.

Maybe our main problem is bad O line coaching? Hear me out...

Consider Auburn this year. They were absolutely AWFUL last year. This year, with the same players, they're ranked 9th and looking pretty good. Why? COACHING. A different coach, a good one, with the same players, made all the difference.

Now, think about Todd McClure. Is it possible that he, as a wiley old veteran, provided a whole bunch of smarts that helped the whole O line perform at a much better level last year than they do this year?

We know he was physically feeling wear and tear from a long career, so physically he was not the one of the top centers in football. But his presence obviously made a huge difference. Maybe that difference was in the area of "smarts," in other words ... "coaching."

Maybe our O line, even last year, wasn't getting everything it needed from the O line coaches, but McClure was filling that gap with his veteran savvy. And as a result, no one even realized there was a gap.

And suddenly now, McClure is gone. Everyone thought we'd be fine because McClure is obviously old and Konz is young. But the "coaching gap" that no one saw was now exposed, because McClure is gone.

And suddenly, our whole O line is completely terrible. They didn't just take a step backwards ... they are TEN steps backwards from last year. This kind of night-and-day difference reminds me of Auburn's night-and-day difference with the same players, which makes me wonder if the problem is *coaching*.

What do you think?

Or maybe we are without talent with regard to offensvive lineman.

I know I sound like a broken record the the scheme does not fit the players. Konz and Holmes are both ideal for a zone blocking scheme since they have quick, swift feet and move and block well in space. They were never considered powerful linemen. Despite this, they're being asked to play in a power man blocking scheme and they're getting overwhelmed because of it. Considering how Koetter has shown he has absolutely no idea what he's doing without his stud WRs I am willing to bet he asked for players like those two to block in space for his spam screen offense but ignored every other facet of their games. The problem is not the players but a coaching staff that has no idea what they want or what they're doing.

We were exposed during the Giants playoff game a few years back, Smitty was correct in making those 4th down calls, ****, its only a yard or less, play smash mouth football! Esp. in a playoff game! What happened? The OL had no B*LLS, no push, no swagger, NOTHING! Blame it on losing Harvey Dahl (did we not sign him because of a "bad boy/dirty" reputation?), a small size Center in McClure? Baker having short arms (don't even start me on him!) ??? Whatever the problem people have, watching a #1 draft choice in Konz (looking like a bust), nothing worth in our backups! (look what Denver & Seattle are doing with all their OL injuries?) the blame? TD? brought in one guy....Trueblood, who's not worthy on any roster! & the biggest blame after watching the OL stand & do nothing yesterday (what does it take for a coach to stress - play to the whistle?)....the two BOZO'S we employ as OL coaches Dunn & Hill....these guys gotta go!

Not to be a dlck about it but no this didn't just hit you. This has been said on this board for a few weeks now. Yes the McClure part is a twist, but it's been obvious that our OL coach is very in over his head.

Sorry (not really) if I didn't read your other posts. And yes it did just hit me. The McClure part is not a twist, it is exactly the new theory that just hit me.

And you are being a dlck.

Up till this idea crossed my mind, my working theory was that Konz was a bust, and that Baker and Reynolds must simply be done (every player eventually hits a point where they're done), and that the players were the problem.

But maybe the players are at least passable, and the only reason they look so awful is that there's a huge coaching gap that was covered up by McClure.

If the problem is just the O line coach over his head, as you suggest, then you have to explain last year. Last year we went 13-3 and were 10 yards from the bowl, so the O line was obviously much better last year. Yet we had the same O line coach last year. So merely having an O line coach over his head doesn't explain squat.

uh, how bout bad drafting the last few years. bad coaching, all you have to do is slow down your dvr and watch the horrible technique these guys are using THATS COACHING! What did they ever see in Garret Reynolds to make them think he would be good. He is like a rag doll out there. Dimitroff needs a big kick in the pants for ignoring the lines knowing Mclure was going to retire, I mean last year Reynolds, Hawley, Konz did nothing to make me think they could get better. So what was the front office seeing?

Absolutely, but it is way worse than you described, as the injuries and rotation on the OL really has made it crystal clear that we have no talent, no good coaching and no good depth.

I think a large part of the problem is that we have no real leader on the OL. For an OL to really gel, there has to be a guy who the other players can really rally around and be accountable to. In recent years that was McClure, even though he was getting physically worse as the years went on, but he made the right calls and made sure everyone knew their assignments.. Konz hasn't been able to totally grasp the concept of making the calls, while being a leader for the other players to rally around.. As a result, when someone plays bad, everyone plays bad and there isn't really any consequense or no way to right the ship without leadership from either a veteran OL player, or the OL coach. We have neither right now.

It is very disheartening to see that ou OL doesn't really seem to take pride in protecting our QB.. They have been called out regarding just that, but they don't seem to have a mean streak. And they certainly won't get it without a leader type on the line as the OL coach.

Pat Hill was supposed to be a real hard badazz.. What happened?

A new theory occurred to me the other day. I don't know if it's right, but it makes sense.

Consider Auburn this year. They were absolutely AWFUL last year. This year, with the same players, they're ranked 9th and looking pretty good. Why? COACHING. A different coach, a good one, with the same players, made all the difference.

Now, think about Todd McClure. Is it possible that he, as a wiley old veteran, provided a whole bunch of smarts that helped the whole O line perform at a much better level last year than they do this year?

We know he was physically feeling wear and tear from a long career, so physically he was not the one of the top centers in football. But his presence obviously made a huge difference. Maybe that difference was in the area of "smarts," in other words ... "coaching."

Maybe our O line, even last year, wasn't getting everything it needed from the O line coaches, but McClure was filling that gap with his veteran savvy. And as a result, no one even realized there was a gap.

And suddenly now, McClure is gone. Everyone thought we'd be fine because McClure is obviously old and Konz is young. But the "coaching gap" that no one saw was now exposed, because McClure is gone.

And suddenly, our whole O line is completely terrible. They didn't just take a step backwards ... they are TEN steps backwards from last year. This kind of night-and-day difference reminds me of Auburn's night-and-day difference with the same players, which makes me wonder if the problem is *coaching*.

What do you think?

YES! There is no way that our talent is that far off from the rest of the league. We have a1rst rnd pick (sometimes), 2 2cnd rnd picks, a 3rdr and 4th rnd starting on the line, all players picked relatively close the where they were projected to go, Konz even lower than projected. It can't be talent, has to be coaching, scheme and lack of developing talent. Did anyone notice on every 3rd and short we ran a spread formation and Seatle was in Nickle?

What do you think?

It's not our only problem. The OL don't play defense. I know with 3 and outs that the defense can get tired, but I've seen missed tackles in the 1st quarters this year.

Sorry (not really) if I didn't read your other posts. And yes it did just hit me. The McClure part is not a twist, it is exactly the new theory that just hit me.

And you are being a dlck.

Up till this idea crossed my mind, my working theory was that Konz was a bust, and that Baker and Reynolds must simply be done (every player eventually hits a point where they're done), and that the players were the problem.

But maybe the players are at least passable, and the only reason they look so awful is that there's a huge coaching gap that was covered up by McClure.

If the problem is just the O line coach over his head, as you suggest, then you have to explain last year. Last year we went 13-3 and were 10 yards from the bowl, so the O line was obviously much better last year. Yet we had the same O line coach last year. So merely having an O line coach over his head doesn't explain squat.

I am going to try to answer this best I can ok. IMHO Coaching is not the problem. These coaches got to where they are because they are good at what they do. It is the individual responsibility of the players to learn thier jobs and come in conditioned well enough to get the job done. And that is where our O line problems come in.

Football is a painful game to play, and it gets worse as a player gets older. Yet there is McClure, after last season, still wanting to play. Why? Because he still had that competitive fire, and I promise you he would have been ready to play mentally, and he would have been in shape physically. Whether his body could hold up is another story. Same with Clabo. Both guys knew how to get ready for a long NFL season. Both had the pride to put thier best foot onto the field.

Koonz? IMHO Konz got better last season simply because he was sandwiched between our two old vets, McClure and Clabo. Without thier veteran leadership our linemen have no peers to look to as to how to get ready to play. But that excuse only goes so far.

Like many of our linemen, Konz is sloppy in his technique, so is Holmes. All of our linemen could stand to get much stronger especially in the middle. And Holmes has even admitted to not being in shape to start and play effectively for a full game. I -suspect- this ailment extends to more than just Holmes. This lack of strength and conditiioning, that is not the line coach. That is the players. This last off season :Philip Keith Manley was -supposed- to compete for a starting spot but instead he showed up out of shape and eventually got cut. The O line coach did not make Manley not be in shape for this season.

When I see our O line play, I see a lack of conditioning, sloppy technique, and not much in the way of heart. If they had heart, and pride, then no way they show up out of shape to play. At this point I would not mind a personal foul on our linemen after the play now and then, just to see if they have SOME spirit in them. I just see timid submission.

At this point, I think it is a very valid question to ask: do Konz Holmes and Reynolds (a FIFTH year veteran) have the competitive fire and pride it takes to do the things required to be NFL players? Right now I would have to say, no.

Edited by egoprime II