• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jon Gruden returns to NFL, expect it to likely be with Raiders or Falcons

14830.png

Jason La Canfora

CBS Sports NFL Insider November 10, 2013 09:52 AM

img24045873.jpgJon Gruden has been out of football since 2008 with the Buccaneers. (USATSI)

For more news and notes from Jason La Canfora, tune into The NFL Today Sunday at noon ET on CBS.

Should former Super Bowl winning coach Jon Gruden end up leaving the broadcast booth and returning to coaching, his most likely destinations would be Oakland or Atlanta, according to league sources, should those jobs open up. The Raiders made a serious approach to Gruden last year, according to sources, and owner Mark Davis remains highly enamored of him, and is still evaluating coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie.

Gruden coached previously in Oakland and retains strong ties there and landing him would be a major coup for the Raiders. A year ago, with Allen and McKenzie in their first years on the job, it would have been even more financially restrictive to sweep out a regime and usher in a new one, let alone a staff as highly compensated as Gruden’s would be. That’s lessened some, one year later, and several sources who know Gruden well believe he is more inclined now than ever to return to the sidelines after rebuffing repeated overtures in the past.

The Falcons would also be a situation that could appeal to Gruden. They have a quarterback and no shortage of offensive weapons in place. They have been a contender in recent years and if they do let go of coach Mike Smith, owner Arthur Blank is likely to seek a very high-profile replacement. Blank has quietly interviewed big-name coaches in the past for his openings but ended up going with more nondescript options. But sources said with him getting a new stadium built and with his fan base fickle in the past and his team falling well below expectations this season, everything would be aligned for him to seek a more proven commodity to try to get his franchise to a Super Bowl, should Smith be fired.

Money is no object to Blank, Atlanta is close to Gruden’s Orlando home (especially via private jet), and Gruden already coached in the division previously. While most of the probably head coaching openings wouldn’t make much sense for him, these two certainly would.

and you would be wrong.

What Gruden knows is that you push every player to the breaking point and then some

to get the team over the top.

You capture a Lombardi and then rebuild.

Gruden cant build a team, he can push a team to greatness and then the team is roached.

Get in,,Get Out.

Im okay with that technique if the end result is a superbowl win.

How did Smith screw up NFC champ game ? Poor turnovers hurt the team and not making play when we had chance

How has Smith coaching cost this team ? Please show me the games we lost cause poor coaching bad decisions and bad clock management

If you want to say Smith message is starting to lose the locker room

ok

but Smith is good solid football coach

TD has left this team high and dry with poor FA decisions and poor trades like 5 for 1 for Julio

Smith is one of the greatest regular season coaches of all time. But this team coming out flat in the 3rd quarter, getting away from what works(no huddle), continuing to run the same plays that do not work, predictability,blowing leads every week, these are all traits of this team that could be corrected by Smith. These are all things that have been overlooked because we would win 13 games in the regular season, but now this team is decimated with injuries and their is no hiding it. If this team is good enough to score points early, gain a lead, then turn right around and go 3 and out back to back, that's on coaching.

The offensive line and defensive line not performing is from clear lack of talent poor depth and bad draft day picks . Smith can only do so much to help Falcons to a win . Falcons are a soft finese team now due to spending draft picks and multiples picks on glamour positions like skilled positions where Smith was a tough nose run and pound coach . TD has tried to make something this team should have never been

He is at fault for this mess for then Smith

I'm not denying the state of our lines, but this team was in position, this year, with these lines, to beat new Orleans, Miami, new England, and the jets. The talent is there.

Yeah and if Blank wanted someone for their name he wouldn't have hired Smith over other big names that were interviewed. I'd hope to bring Zimmer back to the ATL if we looked for a new HC. Or either the Seahawks OC or the Niners DC.

My thoughts about Zimmer:we should not have let him get away, we'd have a killer D by now. I wouldn't mind him as HC, I think he's ready. the question I would have is, how much input did he have in the JA98 draft pick? he was our DC then wasn't he?

we;ve had terrible coaching for 4 years now.. Last second FG wins covered up how last season should of been 6-10. Face it, our coaching is terrible, and it wasnt because of Mularkey or Van Gorder either. It lies in the hands of the head coach.

I'd rather have any of the 31 other head coaches in the league.

we;ve had terrible coaching for 4 years now.. Last second FG wins covered up how last season should of been 6-10. Face it, our coaching is terrible, and it wasnt because of Mularkey or Van Gorder either. It lies in the hands of the head coach.

I'd rather have any of the 31 other head coaches in the league.

And this is why your comments shouldn't be taken seriously.

5 of Seattles wins this year came from one score or less.

Fire Carrol because he isn't putting up Madden scores, can't put teams away, ect.

Edited by JulioisCoolio

Seriously dude? I don't know if you looked but the Falcons are 2-6 this year. The Browns are 4-5. But yeah. But I wouldn't expect anything less from a Mike Smith apologist.

I'm not sure you realize this, but Mike Sherman got fired. He isn't with the Browns this year. He couldn't get them past 5 wins, much less turn them around.

I thought super bowl ring meant instant success?

I'd expect zero actual knowledge from this cesspool though.

Edited by JulioisCoolio

I'm not sure you realize this, but Mike Sherman got fired. He isn't with the Browns this year. He couldn't get them past 5 wins, much less turn them around.

I thought super bowl ring meant instant success?

I'd expect zero actual knowledge from this cesspool though.

Mike Sherman was never the Browns HC dude. But I wouldn't expect you to know that. You'll make up anything to make Mike Smith look better. It's what you do.