Gruden To The Falcons?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He also had Brad Johnson, Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, and Jeff Garcia(at the end of his career)

He did have Oakland as a top 10 offense 3 of his 4 seasons there, and a top 3 offense 2 of those seasons. Given talent, he has the ability to have a successful offense, we have talent, we lack coaching.

Gruden has a ring. Mike Smith has onion rings. I will take an aggressive coach who knows defense. I can't believe the marks in here are wanting to keep Mike Smith. The guy is way past his ceiling of being a coach. Talent evaluation has been horrible.

Mike Sherman has a ring too. He ran the Browns straight into the ground. This 'he has a ring' argument is the dumbest argument in all of sports.

I dislike Gruden. I hate Gruden. Gruden blows. Gruden sucks. Gruden was lucky to win a SB in TB. Gruden is average. Gruden is not that good.

I am not a huge fan of Gruden.

Why is not anyone expressing why they feel any of the above about him? I read nowhere where anyone is supporting these above claims. He has more successful seasons than failing seasons, and he has a SB title under his belt, regardless of how anyone feels about the circumstances. Obviously, his predecessor could not get his team there. IS he not supposed to take credit for getting that team over the hump? That is the difference in coaching, right? I would have taken Jim or John Harbaugh even.

Looking into TB's draft history, they didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick Gruden's first year, didn't have a 1st round pick in 2003, in 2004 when Bruce Allen took over, they drafted Michael Clayton 15th overall, after Eli, Rivers, and Roethlisberger were already drafted. I guess they should have taken J.P. Losman, Schaub, McCown, or Krenzel huh?

Looking into TB's draft history, they didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick Gruden's first year, didn't have a 1st round pick in 2003, in 2004 when Bruce Allen took over, they drafted Michael Clayton 15th overall, after Eli, Rivers, and Roethlisberger were already drafted. I guess they should have taken J.P. Losman, Schaub, McCown, or Krenzel huh?

Drafted Caddilac Williams over Aaron Rodgers in 05.

Drafted Gains Adams over AP in 07.

TB could have had an offense of Rodgers and Peterson

Since we like to play the hindsight game with us.

2005- The only QB's to have any success are Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers...about 24 other teams missed on Rodgers AND he sat for years before he even had the chance to start. They took Cadillac Williams 5th overall.

2006- QB's after TB drafted: Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle

2007- Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton

2008- Brian Brohm, Chad Henne

If anything, the only knock you can give them is for not making a big trade to move up to get a QB. Every QB they did NOT draft during Gruden's tenure, bombed.

Just like we could have had Tom Brady? 20 something teams passed on Rodgers, and he rode the bench for years. Look at the draft history, none of the QB's Tampa COULD have picked without moving up in their draft have panned out. And they took Cadillac 5th overall in 05, why would they draft AP in 08.

2005- The only QB's to have any success are Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers...about 24 other teams missed on Rodgers AND he sat for years before he even had the chance to start. They took Cadillac Williams 5th overall.

2006- QB's after TB drafted: Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle

2007- Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton

2008- Brian Brohm, Chad Henne

If anything, the only knock you can give them is for not making a big trade to move up to get a QB. Every QB they did NOT draft during Gruden's tenure, bombed.

What Qb's were available in FA? I know Brees was one. This is all hindsight though. The point is, they drafted absolutely terribly while Gruden was there and that was a direct reason for their continued downfall.

In 05 their QB was Chris Simms and they passed on the 1b QB in the draft that was in discussion to go #1 overall.

Gruden placed more value on a RB than a QB,,,

Edited by JulioisCoolio

I pointed out they never had a QB, you insinuate that it's Gruden's fault... none of the QB's that Tampa could have drafted aside from Aaron Rodgers has turned into anything.

What Qb's were available in FA? I know Brees was one. This is all hindsight though. The point is, they drafted absolutely terribly while Gruden was there and that was a direct reason for their continued downfall.

They had a top 10 defense 6 of the 7 years Gruden was there, they had a top 20 offense 5 of the 7 years he was there. Imagine if they would have had a QB. The point is, there is more talent on this Falcons team than he had in Tampa.