• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PW is decent speed, but takes great attack angles most plays to shoot through gaps and make tackles on wide runs. I have some concerns about him "stuffing the shed" at his size on runs up the middle, but he has done surprisingly well on that so far.

That is what impressed me the most in Preseason.

He positioned himself nicely to keep from getting washed out in traffic.

What I am waiting to see is how well he holds up over the last 8 games of the season and

then how well he plays next season with the added muscle weight.

Same goes for Bartu.

In spite of the season, the 4 rooks on defense have been a very nice supprise.

As wins and losses go, the record no longer concerns me.

I watch the games to see the progression of the depth chart.

Next year we could see a non stop rotation of linebackers

that could confuse the heII out of the QB's.

Spoon is not a MLB. Not going to explain but he isn't.

Really don't see any reason Spoon can't turn into a Cushing type player in the middle. He has the size to play MLB and the speed (unlike lofton or dent) to cover the backs as they run wide or cover rb routes thru the middle of the field. Cushing was seen as an olb coming out of college. Take a look at spoons measurables - he certainly has the tools to play MLB. Personally I wouldn't mind bartu at wlb and worrilow at SLB or in the middle with spoon in 3-4 packages. Happy to run dent as a backup or the other inside. We have plenty of guys like Biermann, Osi etc to play the standing rush end.

Spoon has long been our most athletic LBer with very little support around him. As such, I think his role has been limited.

With Bartu and Worrilow proving to be competent and more rangey than our other guys, Spoon should be free to be used the way he should be....as a pass rushing chess piece.

Spoon's return should help this defense, and Mike Nolan specifically, quite a bit. Not enough to "turn the season around!!" but enough to get a look at what the defense could have been like if it were healthier.

Brooking preferred OLB and played better there. He stepped inside when needed and later in his career when he lost some speed.

Thomas Davis college S to NFL OLB is a more typical conversion than Urlacher to MLB. 1 reason he was so effective was the Bears had great OLB and Urlacher had great speed cor a MLB and could drop to cover the middle in their Tampa 2 style defense but big enough to defeat C-G blocks in the middle.

Weatherspoon is great in space and covering backs in the flat and read option runs on the edge. None of which is as necessary for a MLB.

PW is decent speed, but takes great attack angles most plays to shoot through gaps and make tackles on wide runs. I have some concerns about him "stuffing the shed" at his size on runs up the middle, but he has done surprisingly well on that so far.

So SW needs to stay outside to use his speed and athleticism in space and would be less effective at MLB than PW. In addition, while PW has played OLB, he is not as athletic as Spoon.

Worrilow played almost exclusively in the middle in college. it's his more natural spot.

I think the emergence of Bartu and Worrilow are going to make many in the Falcons war room re-assess any ideas to go LB early in the draft.

Those guys are good for UDFAs. But let's face it they are not game changers. We still need our Luke Kuechly in the middle that can blow up the run, as well as cover RBs and TEs.

Worrilow played almost exclusively in the middle in college. it's his more natural spot.

2 things here.

1. Thanks for showing up to this topics to claim your props!

2. When you say MLB is his natural spot, we also should examine if that is the case or if they put him at the position because that is where he could do the most good for his school ?

That leaves the dirty task to someone to look back at the program during the time he was there

to see who was on that defense and what their contributions were.

On the other hand we coulf just punt and look at his role on a 3-4.

Spoon, Dent, Worrilow. Biermann.

Being that our MLB's get torched for 6 on a consistant basis, I believe that

to be the final solution..........?

Those guys are good for UDFAs. But let's face they are not game changers. We still need our Luke Kuechly in the middle that can blow up the run, as well as cover RBs and TEs.

I'm fine with Worrilow at MLB since once he gets it together I think he can be a three down player at the position and those are difficult to find. If we can get Khalil Mack then he'd replace Bartu the instant he was drafted. He's an impact player to say the very least.