The Ultimate Question: Who Is The Bigger Problem?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smitty is the blame. Regardless of talent, your job of being head coach is to motivate & bring out the best in your players. If their best isn't good enough and they don't fit your scheme...cut'em. Wait...do we even have a scheme? We wasted all off season finding ways to stop the read option. Umm, have we even played a read option team? Why did we go into the off-season preparing for last season when our schedule only have 4 read option QB's ( RG3, Cam, Kaep, & R.wilson. This team has no chemistry. Like RW84 said "we have no identity. I say Smitty, OC, DC, & TD need to wake the f'ck up or get the f'ck out of the ATL.

Dimitroff is the bigger problem. If we had even a slightly better depth in terms of O and D line talent, we would be a 10-11 win team even with Julio out for the season. Trench talent assessment has been a blind spot for TD and he either cannot or will not acknowledge it, and when you don't admit a flaw you can't even fix it.

I'm praying that TD can see the light and get some better scouts who can spot O and D Line talent.

If not, we will be stuck in this 'almost good' to 'crash and burn' range. 'Almost good' enough to go the distance when key skilled players are healthy (2010,12) and 'crash and burn' when key first teamers are injured, like this year.

As Mr. Blank himself said, "the good is the enemy of the great."

Smitty is a defensive minded coach who doesn't seem to know how to field a decent defense, is loyal to a fault with his position coaches who are incapable of developing talent, has no killer instinct, is more concerned with penalties than with poor play and technique, is a deer in headlights in high pressure games, does not know how to motivate the team, the same problems plague the team despite coordinator changes, etc.

Dimitroff seems to have had it stuck in his head that we were just a player or two away from winning it all for the past few seasons which has short changed the team depth wise but has made some good moves otherwise. He is clearly at least partially at fault for the current state of the team but not the core problem.

And therein may lie the problem. Smitty is ultra conservative and plays things close to the vest to try to keep us in games, whereas TD is has had a swing for the fences mentality especially the last few years since we have been Super Bowl contenders. There is a disconnect between these two philosophies.

I don't think we were as good as our record indicated last year. We managed to skate by on some wins with luck. Yes we was 13 and 3. I thought most analysts were being bias and spiteful but in turns out it was deceived by my homerism. This year has me convinced that I bought in to the smoke and mirror facade

See I disagree we have won alot of close games over the years if anything that was our MO.

You are what you earn in the NFL.

This year you have convienently not mentioned the most telling factors which have put us in the situation we are in.

The sad thing I see about the team is a complete lack of consistency from all 3 phases and the upswing in the lack of discipline stakes ie penalties they have been the absolute worse in this regime's tenure.

That is the most telling thing this team never did anything to beat itself and as above we aren't helping ourselves on this front.

The fans are the biggest problem. We gave too many uneducated, disloyal, glory seeking morons, with no concept of what it takes to win in the NFL and a ridiculous sense of entitlement. I'm embarrassed by this fanbase. Our franchise deserves so much better.

I think this evertyime I come to this board these days.

Edited by 4dabirds

OK so I've debate this in my head a million times. Who is the bigger problem for the Falcons - Dimitroff or Smitty? I feel like Dimitroff can't draft trench players to save his life, and if he is given a nice high first round pick this next draft he'll screw up the pick in one way or another. He has given way too many bad contracts out - Baker, Dunta, No Play Ray, etc. But I feel like GM's are given more benefit of the doubt than coaches are... just feel like it takes many many years for GMs to be gotten rid of which is sad... Chargers GM should've been gone long before he was actually fired when he let all those star players walk. VJax, Sproles, Turner, etc. But also, Dimitroff can't draft depth. Our team is so freaking top heavy it isn't funny.

But Smitty on the other hand, has continually allowed the same problems that cost the Falcons games to continue. Save the Cardinals game, we blew leads in like 9 straight games... Blew a 20 pt lead against Seattle, 17 against SF, 10 pts against NO, etc. etc. etc. How does a coach allow the same problem to go on? He's a defensive coach, yet the defense sucks every single year and it never changes. He has no ability to develop projects, so all those late round picks TD uses to hope he finds some diamond in the rough defensive end never comes to fruition. PLEASE make this a logical discussion and don't just turn this into a FIRE EVERYBODY thread. I would like a civil topic for once.

The fans are the biggest problem. We gave too many uneducated, disloyal, glory seeking morons, with no concept of what it takes to win in the NFL and a ridiculous sense of entitlement. I'm embarrassed by this fanbase. Our franchise deserves so much better.

I agree the fans are the biggest problem. We have too many goose-stepping, kool-aid slurping homer zombie morons, with no concept of reality and even worse, no sense of how their ridiculous willingness to embrace mediocrity will only help perpetuate the three-alarm dumpster fire this team has become. I'm embarrassed by these blow-hard fans. Our franchise deserves so much better.

I agree the fans are the biggest problem. We have too many goose-stepping, kool-aid slurping homer zombie morons, with no concept of reality and even worse, no sense of how their ridiculous willingness to embrace mediocrity will only help perpetuate the three-alarm dumpster fire this team has become. I'm embarrassed by these blow-hard fans. Our franchise deserves so much better.

Some people get excited about moral victories. Somewhat understandable considering how bad this team had been for so long, but it became pretty obvious to me that getting to the playoffs was pretty much Smitty's ceiling, even after just the 3rd year. The fact that upgrading our coordinators still resulted in playoff disasters has pretty much unmasked Smitty. TD cannibalizing our draft every single year hasn't helped matters, either. Really they both have to go, which in a way is a shame because I think with an even average HC and better drafting Nolan would have us a top 10 D in a relatively short amount of time. Smitty's coaches scared, but TD has also given him hot garbage for a front 7.

This whole being satisfied with moral victory crap needs to be laid to rest. Just because a person can find good in what seems bad does not make them complacent.

If that is seriously how some of you feel then you are dead wrong.

A MAN doesn't need to be whiney bish to want a Lombardi and be disappointed in this team.

Get over yourselves folks. We all want the same thing, period. There is no settling for mediocrity. There is not just being okay

Get over that asinine idea. It's lazy and it makes those with opposite opinions look like their grasping for straws.

TLDR: Find a better argument because blaming those who hope and wish for better rather than cry and admit defeat look like major punks.

Well as usual I find myself stuck in the middle of many opinions on the topic. First, you are correct in stating there is no way for us to know really what goes on inside. However, I think both TD and Smitty share personnel decisions, and neither seem to have a clue about drafting, building or developing lines (Smith's job of course). Finally, I totally agree that not having a defense and run game explains the blown leads. But again, both those fall on both guys heads for not having adequate lines. In the case of the defense, I put much more responsibility on Smith. It is just amazing that a guy who helped build and run good defenses before he arrived has put such mediocre units on the field here as a head coach. But I am waiting to see if the infusion of so many draft picks on defense last year will help rectify that since we did seem to put more emphasis on offense early on in their tenures here. As some else quite correctly pointed out, they inherited a REALLY bad organization, and plugged a ton of holes to make us winner, So it's a bit much to send them to the gallows after so many key injuries this year.

Pardon me for my usual sissy stance in the middle of so many good points, but honestly I debate these issues endlessly myself. Right when I decide I know exactly what is wrong and who to send to the gallows, one of you changes my mind with a good logical argument.

I hate you all. wub.png

Edited by FalconFanForLife

True. I think that is why the OP was asking for opinion. Fans are allowed to form them, right or wrong till nothing wrong with it.

I have no problem with opinions. It's the people who act like they know more than the professionals and use their misguided "Opinion" to insult fans, players and coaches. I also, can't stand the self righteous who look to criticize a fan for being optimistic or for reflecting on past great moments.

I have no problem with opinions. It's the people who act like they know more than the professionals and use their misguided "Opinion" to insult fans, players and coaches. I also, can't stand the self righteous who look to criticize a fan for being optimistic or for reflecting on past great moments.

According to whom? Some are just giving their honest opinion based on what they see with their own eyes.