I'm Just Being Honest. I Would Rather.......

Right now after watching this team my whole life and understanding more now than I ever did. I would rather....right now...at this point.

Rather see us not have Roddy, Steven Jackson and Julio and have a great Offensive and Defensive line instead.

Here's my reasons.

1. Snelling and Rodgers have not been that bad when playing and with an offensive line they would be even better. We could have a real run game and not had a run game where we put in an offensive lineman in at TE so we can try to get two yards and fail. (Like the defensive doesn't know what we're doing when that doesn't happen?)

2. Douglas is pretty good and with Ryan having 4-5 seconds average throw time, him and a second tier WR would have the time to get open. I really think Douglas would be a starter anywhere else.

3. We would be able to use our Tight Ends in a two TE set more, instead of using one to help block, giving Coffman and Toilolo valuable play time. Gonzalez will not be here next year.

4. Having an actual pass rush with our front four without using a LB would be soooooo nice. I am so sick of seeing opposing QB's have 5-6 seconds to scan the field and throw it to a wide open WR that sat in between zones or that was able to escape coverage because no CB can cover for such a long time.

I realize some will disagree and that's fine. I just get real sick of:

1. Ryan having no time.
  2. Our RB's getting tackled before they get to the line of scrimmage
  3. Using a lineman to play TE because our front five can't run block
  4. Other QB's having forever to throw
  5. Other RB's run right through our D line and our LB's can't make a play because the opposing o-line is at the second level.
  6. The fact that TD and Smith both said they would build from the inside out. (Games are won in the trenches)

That's it I can't right anymore. I'm starting to get real pissed.

You know we could technically have a decent to good Oline while having Roddy and Julio. Instead of bringing Sjax in and Tony back, we could of added a G like Vasquez or Levitre to the right side of the line. Instead of Baker we could of gone after Long or Bushrod who signed similar contracts. And we could of kept Abe while signing Osi. We just haven't been making the moves needed to,to fix the lines when we have had a chance. Is this TDs fault? smittys fault? We really don't know, I feel like they have 2 very different views of running a team, and are both trying to run a team their way

You know we could technically have a decent to good Oline while having Roddy and Julio. Instead of bringing Sjax in and Tony back, we could of added a G like Vasquez or Levitre to the right side of the line. Instead of Baker we could of gone after Long or Bushrod who signed similar contracts. And we could of kept Abe while signing Osi. We just haven't been making the moves needed to,to fix the lines when we have had a chance. Is this TDs fault? smittys fault? We really don't know, I feel like they have 2 very different views of running a team, and are both trying to run a team their way

Good point. TD is too slow to recognize/cut his losses on mistakes.

Do you realize HD is bigger than Deshaun Jackson, Welker etc..? That doesn't mean a thing. If you don't have a QB that can effectively throw deep and a team that believes in spreading the defense, it won't matter the size of the WR.

Jackson is their #1 cuz that's all they have, welker is a slot receiver,which is what harry is. Welker gets crushed if he tries to play on the outside.

We're starting to realize that we need to spend our $$$ on o-line, since TD can't draft them worth a ****. I think with the way the league's rules work now, you can have a really good #1 WR (Roddy or Julio) and then have some OK pieces everywhere else, as long as you have a good o-line you'll be in good shape in terms of PPG. Ryan is a guy that just won't go deep with the ball unless there is absolute protection... which is why he would go deep on play action and that's about it. Sad really.

We're starting to realize that we need to spend our $$$ on o-line, since TD can't draft them worth a ****. I think with the way the league's rules work now, you can have a really good #1 WR (Roddy or Julio) and then have some OK pieces everywhere else, as long as you have a good o-line you'll be in good shape in terms of PPG. Ryan is a guy that just won't go deep with the ball unless there is absolute protection... which is why he would go deep on play action and that's about it. Sad really.

Ryan tries to go deep, he just doesn't have the time given to carry out the play,so he dumps it of to try and get something out of the play,our PPG haven been the problem since they are near what we had last year, our defense is giving up about 8more points per game this year than last. TD has drafted plenty of lineman that just aren't being brought up correctly and trained right that falls on the coaches more than TD, just cuz we haven't drafted an Olineman in the first(not like we have ever been in a position to draft a top lineman) doesn't show TD hasn't tried to fix the Oline.

Do you realize HD is bigger than Deshaun Jackson, Welker etc..? That doesn't mean a thing. If you don't have a QB that can effectively throw deep and a team that believes in spreading the defense, it won't matter the size of the WR.

Desean Jackson lives off his insane speed, which Harry doesn't have.

Welker is a slot receiver, he's not the #1 guy like the OP is suggesting HD be

Ryan tries to go deep, he just doesn't have the time given to carry out the play,so he dumps it of to try and get something out of the play,our PPG haven been the problem since they are near what we had last year, our defense is giving up about 8more points per game this year than last. TD has drafted plenty of lineman that just aren't being brought up correctly and trained right that falls on the coaches more than TD, just cuz we haven't drafted an Olineman in the first(not like we have ever been in a position to draft a top lineman) doesn't show TD hasn't tried to fix the Oline.

But he has, Baker. TD might have be forced to reach for LT to protect his franchise QB, and I think the majority know how that gamble paid off. Sam had a pretty decent rookie year, was in and out of the lineup with various injuries until last year. Has a superb 2012 season, gets paid and guess what? Baker is battling the injury bug once again. You seeing a pattern here? As far as a coaching problem, on our 2nd OLINE coach in as many seasons, nope IMO, coaches aren't the problem. Is it possible, just possible, that we don't have any quality Olinemen?

Good point. TD is too slow to recognize/cut his losses on mistakes.

Amazing, given how much you ***** about team building philosophy, that you would lend support to the idea of spending upwards of $8 million on a guard.

As for OP, the grass is always greener. Teams like Pittsburgh and Cleveland "build the lines!!!" and are in the same situation we are, only they're healthy. Pittsburgh has dumped 4 high draft picks into a line that gets its QB mauled every Sunday. Cleveland has a really nice defense but can't move the ball and is in "next year" mode already.

Its difficult enough to build a team competent on both sides of the ball. To do so with incredible depth capable of withstanding 7 key injuries is exceedingly rare. Seattle, the deepest roster in the league is getting its QB killed every week because of injuries to the OL.

I'm sorry, this isn't really true.

The Packers win and have an awful OL.

The Bears are consistently competitive with an awful OL.

The Steelers won two Super Bowls with a poor OL.

The Saints are winning despite OL issues.

There are about 3 teams in the league with a "good." One of them is very successful but vulnerable (San Fran).

But he has, Baker. TD might have be forced to reach for LT to protect his franchise QB, and I think the majority know how that gamble paid off. Sam had a pretty decent rookie year, was in and out of the lineup with various injuries until last year. Has a superb 2012 season, gets paid and guess what? Baker is battling the injury bug once again. You seeing a pattern here? As far as a coaching problem, on our 2nd OLINE coach in as many seasons, nope IMO, coaches aren't the problem. Is it possible, just possible, that we don't have any quality Olinemen?

baker had to be a reach, their was a run on lineman and we needed on to protect Ryan, a player ballin out on a contract year getting paid and then doing nothing the next year happens often, he is hurt now, nothing we can do about it. We got Holmes and Konz last year,so we don't know what we have in them, they both show good upside but the coaches are failing to bring out their talent. Blalock is our best lineman,he was here before TD. Kinda interesting he is the only good lineman we have st this point. He was coached up right with the regime we had here before this new one can't coach anyone up,it's not just the Oline.

Falkonator hit the nail on the head with his comment.

Our management of BOTH lines has just been too horrible to watch.

This^^

Winning championships isn't easy, but it sure isn't rocket science. It's always won in the trenches and yet this franchise historically has ignored them. It is a major reason why we have never won a championship.

TD is too cute with his picks and cute picks has never won a championship. He needs to stop reaching for these diamonds in the ruff and start picking the more sure football talent.

With the exception of a few picks here and there, I never come away excited about TD's draft picks. I've mostly hated his draft picks.

This^^

Winning championships isn't easy, but it sure isn't rocket science. It's always won in the trenches and yet this franchise historically has ignored them. It is a major reason why we have never won a championship.

TD is too cute with his picks and cute picks has never won a championship. He needs to stop reaching for these diamonds in the ruff and start picking the more sure football talent.

With the exception of a few picks here and there, I never come away excited about TD's draft picks. I've mostly hated his draft picks.

this is very true, after most his drafts, excluding maybe 2-3 players were stuck sitting here wondering who these players are,ans wonder why another player who proved he can play the sport was still available when we selected a no name from a D2-3 school

Amazing, given how much you ***** about team building philosophy, that you would lend support to the idea of spending upwards of $8 million on a guard.

As for OP, the grass is always greener. Teams like Pittsburgh and Cleveland "build the lines!!!" and are in the same situation we are, only they're healthy. Pittsburgh has dumped 4 high draft picks into a line that gets its QB mauled every Sunday. Cleveland has a really nice defense but can't move the ball and is in "next year" mode already.

Its difficult enough to build a team competent on both sides of the ball. To do so with incredible depth capable of withstanding 7 key injuries is exceedingly rare. Seattle, the deepest roster in the league is getting its QB killed every week because of injuries to the OL.

We only have 1 injury on the oline other then Sam Baker (who is always injured) that injury goes to Mike Johnson. (who by the way was a back up last year and not good enough to pass Tyson Clabo. What makes TD think a carrier back up is going to all of a sudden be good enough? Holmes was behind Johnson and not good enough to start.

Don't bring up the Steelers who lost their Pro bowl caliber center. Their oline is horrible as well. and you can't bring up Cleveland because frankly they have no QB at all.

You also can't give me Seattle for one simple fact. Would you trade their Defense for ours? there is something to be said for field position. With Seattle they have a Defense that gives the offense good field position. Ours gives us where ever the kick return gets us.

One thing that makes you a good leader is knowing your weakness. Obviously TD doesn't see that either his scouting team can't pick a good O lineman or our line coaches stink.

also

I understand that it's hard to hit on every pick in the draft but again when was the last time we signed a really good offensive lineman? Anyone know? I don't.

I'm sorry, this isn't really true.

The Packers win and have an awful OL.

The Bears are consistently competitive with an awful OL.

The Steelers won two Super Bowls with a poor OL.

The Saints are winning despite OL issues.

There are about 3 teams in the league with a "good." One of them is very successful but vulnerable (San Fran).

I hear you BUT

Packers and the Saints have QB's that move in the pocket and around better then most. Ryan I think is good, but that's the one facet of his game that is lacking. Rodgers can run as well and Brees...well...how many times do we play the Saints a just before we get him he moves away and makes the throw.

Bears have a good D and the Steelers had a good D when they went.

Most teams live by the Defense or the Offense. Right now we have neither.

Edited by Zenduke

baker had to be a reach, their was a run on lineman and we needed on to protect Ryan, a player ballin out on a contract year getting paid and then doing nothing the next year happens often, he is hurt now, nothing we can do about it. We got Holmes and Konz last year,so we don't know what we have in them, they both show good upside but the coaches are failing to bring out their talent. Blalock is our best lineman,he was here before TD. Kinda interesting he is the only good lineman we have st this point. He was coached up right with the regime we had here before this new one can't coach anyone up,it's not just the Oline.

Boudreau was a TD hire, and did an admirable job with the talent afforded him. Why he was dismissed/not retained baffles me to this day, Exit P. Boudreau, enter P. Hill and you have the embarrassing offensive line we are currently saddled with.