Zone Blocking And Slide Protection Help This Team Win

Nivek843SAV

Every team in the league uses slide protection in some way or another. Its a game by game play by play decision that can be made at the LOS. If you are saying "we need to run MORE slide protection" then that is one thing, but your acting as if we don't ever use it.

I'm saying we need to use it much more than we do. When you see an empty backfiled, we are asking the O-Line to handle the D-line almost hat on hat type technique. Most teams rush 4 against us and we can't hangle. it. Leaving a back in for protection and allowing Matt to call the protection as he sees the blitz from pre snap reads is far more effective.

Yes every team uses slide protection, we just need to use it a **** of a lot more.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a man blocking team. My point is that we need to employ more outside and inside zone plays (the strectch plays). Across the board the O-Line does not have the power to push any decent defensive line. We need to go back to the zone blocking scheme and see what happens. Quizz would excel in the concept.

I agree we should go to a zone blocking scheme

I'm saying we need to use it much more than we do. When you see an empty backfiled, we are asking the O-Line to handle the D-line almost hat on hat type technique. Most teams rush 4 against us and we can't hangle. it. Leaving a back in for protection and allowing Matt to call the protection as he sees the blitz from pre snap reads is far more effective.

Yes every team uses slide protection, we just need to use it a **** of a lot more.

Thats not something that is typically debated on. If a QB feels the need to call slide protection then he usually does. I mean he is calling the protection for himself so I think it is pretty standard protocol, but i'm no expert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The more times I rewatch the Falcons games the more I am convinced that zone blocking is the way to go for this team.

Running Effectiveness Breakdown

The right end run stats are a bit skewed because of the 55-yard run by Steven Jackson in the opener. But even then, the line has pushed forward for a 3.65 or more average per carry on the right side of the line and under 3.00 on almost the entire left side of the line.

A switch from the current man blocking-heavy scheme to a zone-blocking scheme could be extremely beneficial for the offense. The Falcons have the quickness on the line, and they definitely have guys up front who would be intelligent enough to make the switch.

But right now, whatever they are trying to do isn't working. Jackson coming back could end up being the spark the running game needs to block better against the run. But with how they've played so far, the only real thing that could improve the run blocking is a scheme switch or Konz getting his act together in the run game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820189-atlanta-falcons-breaking-down-the-offensive-lines-performance-in-2013

Konz might have still some issues adjusting from the zone-based blocking scheme he played in at Wisconsin. His lack of functional strength has shown up there and would benefit the most from a switch. While the other pair has been effective all around and could play in either scheme.

Our OL personnel in general are simply so bad that it doesn't make a huge difference either way in scheme. What amazes me about it is the Organization as a whole has failed to see this fact for 3 seasons and has done precious little to address it... other than give ridiculous contracts to Blalock and Baker over that time.

I really want to turn our OL on its head over the next two seasons = new RG, new RT, a new C in 2014 (or at least a Hawley or Konz that isn't a liability) and then in 2015 a new LG and new LT.

Perhaps the Baker & Holmes at LT Project will work for a while but dang.... 5 seasons of Baker and only one good one, one decent one, two that were terrible, and now one that was worthless, PLUS Holmes = nothing as a R, then he utterly fails to be in shape to compete for the RT spot! I am so pizzed that our OL Coach and the Head Coach FAILED to make certain this guy was motivated and working to become a player for us. This failure is on the Player AND the Coaches! This is one of those factors pushing me to now be off the fence about Smitty and be convinced that he is not the HC to lead us to ultimate success. Letting Gonzalez skip most of Camp is another... I don't care if your 10 HOFers rolled into one that chit don't fly with me! The fact that Tony asked for it told me what I needed to know about him, and the fact the Smitty went along with it.... well...

And cool, calm. and calculating has its place, but when your QB just got speared while on the turf and no one goes over to express some displeasure with the Perp and you as the HC don't immediately crawl up their collective butts about it right then.... well... Ugh

Just need an upgrade at left guard fixes everything but chemistry. Reynolds is a right tackle not a guard, I think his inside work will make him look godlike at tackle run blocking

pair him with Blalock and you have holes turner could back through.

The problem with Reynolds is that he is not NFL material. He has a major problem blocking in space and he simply has no leverage. Key on him and you will see a guy that is giving his all, but that simply does not have the agility to match up with NFL defenders. He is often looking for someone to block because his man has already passed him by.

I am sorry for the guy, but he does not belong on our team next season.

Our OL personnel in general are simply so bad that it doesn't make a huge difference either way in scheme. What amazes me about it is the Organization as a whole has failed to see this fact for 3 seasons and has done precious little to address it... other than give ridiculous contracts to Blalock and Baker over that time.

I really want to turn our OL on its head over the next two seasons = new RG, new RT, a new C in 2014 (or at least a Hawley or Konz that isn't a liability) and then in 2015 a new LG and new LT.

Perhaps the Baker & Holmes at LT Project will work for a while but dang.... 5 seasons of Baker and only one good one, one decent one, two that were terrible, and now one that was worthless, PLUS Holmes = nothing as a R, then he utterly fails to be in shape to compete for the RT spot! I am so pizzed that our OL Coach and the Head Coach FAILED to make certain this guy was motivated and working to become a player for us. This failure is on the Player AND the Coaches! This is one of those factors pushing me to now be off the fence about Smitty and be convinced that he is not the HC to lead us to ultimate success. Letting Gonzalez skip most of Camp is another... I don't care if your 10 HOFers rolled into one that chit don't fly with me! The fact that Tony asked for it told me what I needed to know about him, and the fact the Smitty went along with it.... well...

And cool, calm. and calculating has its place, but when your QB just got speared while on the turf and no one goes over to express some displeasure with the Perp and you as the HC don't immediately crawl up their collective butts about it right then.... well... Ugh

Took the words right out of my mouth. I am so frustrated with this regime honestly. The sad thing is, Blank said he is safe for another year, and I'm afraid it might be more of the same. Changes need to happen big time, and Smittyball needs to be buried along with this soft mentality this organization has. The OL is absolutely the biggest pile of crap I have ever witnessed from a team. Yeah, let's pay Ryan 100m and not even protect him. Brilliant plan, TD.

If we do not get at least a new RG and RT this offseason, I will literally drive up to Flowery Branch and make a case for the jobs of every single one of the staff members. I could literally build a team better than this, and it sucks to see my favorite team blow this much because some morons neglected the trenches for YEARS. Clean house for all I give a ****. Let this be a lesson to Blank and Co. to never hire a coach from a losing organization. I hate the philosophy, the attitude, the schemes, and everything else Smith has brought over here. We underachieve so much, and we have a coach who lacks killer instinct. Please, let's fix the lines and implement schemes and/or coaches that will actually give this team a shot at the Super Bowl.

We were a better run blocking team when we employed the zone blocking scheme of Gibbs' and continued to develop under Cable. Our personnel matched the ZB perfectly. Now, we have a mixed collection of OL's that are being coached by a rah-rah college coach. Hill appears to have no real plan and our OL's are often left confused on the field.

The first step to a better OL is to hire a coach that has a clear plan. It is obvious that Hill needs to be replaced. Once the scheme is identified, TD should be able to find the right players that will fit.

To my eyes, Baker, Blalock and both Centers are better fits for ZB. If we move to ZB, then signing a free agent, like Asamoah would be a major boost to the OL. Believe it or not, Holmes would probably be able to return to the RT position and do well. We could drastically improve our entire offense by replacing Hill and adding Asamoah.

I am not saying that we should be satisfied with just replacing Hill and adding Asamoah. I am just saying that those two moves are the best starting points to turn this mess around. We will still need to draft another OG and OT. Competition is a must. Right now, none of our starters have any serious competition for their jobs! That is really a poor job by TD.

We were a better run blocking team when we employed the zone blocking scheme of Gibbs' and continued to develop under Cable. Our personnel matched the ZB perfectly. Now, we have a mixed collection of OL's that are being coached by a rah-rah college coach. Hill appears to have no real plan and our OL's are often left confused on the field.

The first step to a better OL is to hire a coach that has a clear plan. It is obvious that Hill needs to be replaced. Once the scheme is identified, TD should be able to find the right players that will fit.

To my eyes, Baker, Blalock and both Centers are better fits for ZB. If we move to ZB, then signing a free agent, like Asamoah would be a major boost to the OL. Believe it or not, Holmes would probably be able to return to the RT position and do well. We could drastically improve our entire offense by replacing Hill and adding Asamoah.

I agree. Most of our guys were thought to be best suited for a zone scheme or have the potential to be(Baker/Konz/Hawley/Holmes). If Hawley continues to improve through the rest of the season, I wouldn't have a problem with Him at C at all. He has done well with the line calls. He isn't paving huge holes but he is holding the point of attack and not being pushed into the backfield. Konz is an ideal piece for that scheme. His strength was pulling and getting to the 2nd level at Wisconsin.

I would love to get a new line coach and install a zone blocking scheme next season. We would have to also find new lineman which would also be a bonus of this move.

Op you are not stupid for wanting this. But it isn't a quick fix. Would take a whole offseason plus some

I would love to get a new line coach and install a zone blocking scheme next season. We would have to also find new lineman which would also be a bonus of this move.

Op you are not stupid for wanting this. But it isn't a quick fix. Would take a whole offseason plus some

Holmes and Konz already are best suited for a ZBS. RG and RT already need to be replaced but players to fill those positions aren't that difficult to find.

When we were a zone blocking team, everyone hated it because we couldn't get tough yards when we needed them. Now that we're not much of a zone blocking team, we still can't get a yard. Fix the personnel, fix the blocking, regardless of what scheme we run. This isn't to say that matching personnel to the scheme isn't important, but our personnel has to be addressed, period.

Ans an aside, our Vick years were dominated by zone blocking, but it was his threat on the backside that made the DVD offense work, not a dominant line. We had insane rushing numbers because our qb could gain 1000 yards and provide open cutback lanes for our backs. The line was never dominant despite the gaudy numbers.

They were better than this one, though.

This current group of Offensive Linemen are not suited for the current Base or Man blocking style the Falcons try to emply. Going back to a zone blocking scheme would help create lanes for a quick shifty back like Rogers. The Falcons didn't have the greatest O-Line when Warrick Dunn was in the back field. However, the system employed took advantage of the lines athleticism. Running more inside and outside zone plays is a sure fire way to get the run game going.

The outside stretch play should be called no less than 12 times a game. The Broncos, Redskins, Saints and a host of others continue to employ this style of blocking. Our offensive linemen are simply not strong enough at the point of contact to Man block even when double teams are employed. Zoning gives a weak guy like Reynolds an advantage as he takes the defender from an angle.

Slide protection is also another key to the Falcons success. Once again this group of Linemen can't Base(Man block anyone). Sliding to one side or the other with a back taking opposite side helps with Blitz pickup and allows Matt time to set his feet and throw the ball down field. Sliding to block an area as one with the QB set up behind the protection is the best and only way to go with this group.

Back when we were running the zone blocking scheme fans were complaining that our line and our zone blocking scheme sucked. We wanted a more traditional scheme period, even it it involved the same personnel.

I keep saying it, but half or more of the league fans are dissatisfied with the performance of their team's offensive line. Not that any of these armchair QB's actually know what they're talking about, but it's always easy to be critical of the offensive line when your favorite QB seems to be playing poorly.

Our players can not play zone. Have you just watched them play. What makes you think they would be better in a zone blocking scheme. I imagine them running into each other, tripping over their feet.

Konz and Holmes were not known in college for overwhelming power but rather swift feet, good movement skills, and relatively good technique in pass protection (the latter of which has been woefully lacking under Pat Hill). These types of O-linemen are best suited for a ZBS and screens, so naturally we do a lot of screens and a MBS which they are not suited for. Either they'll give up on these young players, which I find doubtful, or they'll get rid of incompetent coaches who will hopefully implement a ZBS which suits these players as they rebuild the right side of the line to further suit this scheme.

Konz and Holmes were not known in college for overwhelming power but rather swift feet, good movement skills, and relatively good technique in pass protection (the latter of which has been woefully lacking under Pat Hill). These types of O-linemen are best suited for a ZBS and screens, so naturally we do a lot of screens and a MBS which they are not suited for. Either they'll give up on these young players, which I find doubtful, or they'll get rid of incompetent coaches who will hopefully implement a ZBS which suits these players as they rebuild the right side of the line to further suit this scheme.

I wish this will happen, but I just don't wanna get my hopes up :(

Bingo