A Forum Only For Those Who Can Face The Real Truth

For years I have told inconvenient truths about the team and was viewed as a pariah by many; realities that stung but I was not afraid to say despite the overwhelming backlash. Things such as "Unless the Falcons Stop the Run, A Superbowl is unlikely", pointing out the need for a pass rushing linebacker and defensive end on the strongside of the defense and a run stopping tackle. Each year this was scoffed at and never addressed by Thomas Dimitroff. I insisted that Eddie Lacy should be looked at as an option but he was ignored for a second cornerback. Dimitroff arrogantly stood pat, nonverbally stating that this is "his team" by keeping the likes of Perry Jerry, Stephen Nicholas, re-signing a mediocre injury-plagued offensive tackle in Sam Baker rather than exploring other options and not addressing the long standing problem of a pass rush. Now you see the "fruit" of his labor, a 2-5 season. The Apologists will blame injuries and bad breaks but all teams have them (The Packers won the Super Bowl with 16 key players on injured reserve) The fact is that Dimitroff took over a playoff-caliber team which needed a coach, quarterback and running back. He put them in place and the team started winning. Since then, he has made only two other significant moves: Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez, and the rest have been markedly mediocre. That is the real reason for this malaise.

For years I have told inconvenient truths about the team and was viewed as a pariah by many; realities that stung but I was not afraid to say despite the overwhelming backlash. Things such as "Unless the Falcons Stop the Run, A Superbowl is unlikely", pointing out the need for a pass rushing linebacker and defensive end on the strongside of the defense and a run stopping tackle. Each year this was scoffed at and never addressed by Thomas Dimitroff. I insisted that Eddie Lacy should be looked at as an option but he was ignored for a second cornerback. Dimitroff arrogantly stood pat, nonverbally stating that this is "his team" by keeping the likes of Perry Jerry, Stephen Nicholas, re-signing a mediocre injury-plagued offensive tackle in Sam Baker rather than exploring other options and not addressing the long standing problem of a pass rush. Now you see the "fruit" of his labor, a 2-5 season. The Apologists will blame injuries and bad breaks but all teams have them (The Packers won the Super Bowl with 16 key players on injured reserve) The fact is that Dimitroff took over a playoff-caliber team which needed a coach, quarterback and running back. He put them in place and the team started winning. Since then, he has made only two other significant moves: Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez, and the rest have been markedly mediocre. That is the real reason for this malaise.

I agree with the part about why we have kept P. Jerry, Nicholas and resigning Baker. But for the most part, TD added some nice pieces (i.e., JJ, TG & Turner) to kick-start this team. But since, has been lax in drafting players who can come in and be good back-ups when needed, as well as ignoring our O-line & D-line. Result: a "flashy" team, with no depth...

Man you can't say with a straight face that you believe for a second that this cesspool of a franchise that Dimitroff inherited was playoff caliber, and I don't particularily like the job he has done. Dam.

So a team in 07, the Petrino throw-away year which had 85 catch, 10 TD 1200 yard receiver Roddy White, Pro bowl tight end Alge Crumpler, Warrick Dunn, Justin Blalock, Tyson Clabo, Harvey Dahl, Ovie Mughelli, Keith Brooking, Jonathan Babineiux, John Abraham, Kroy Biermann , Lawyer Milloy, Michael Jenkins..... constituted a "cesspool"? Before you answer, 5 of those guys were either All-Pro or Pro Bowlers during that 4 year "cesspool" period.

Why? Forget that then, is he doing a good job or what? Why can't you answer that?

Oh I'll answer you, what he has allowed the state of affairs without adequately addressing our needs on both OL/DL is dam criminal and has consistently been my opinion. Plain enough? But to make an misleading statement that he inhierited a playoff caliber team is a ridiculous assumption on ur part

I agree with the part about why we have kept P. Jerry, Nicholas and resigning Baker. But for the most part, TD added some nice pieces (i.e., JJ, TG & Turner) to kick-start this team. But since, has been lax in drafting players who can come in and be good back-ups when needed, as well as ignoring our O-line & D-line. Result: a "flashy" team, with no depth...

Why is that a hard pill for some to swallow? It's the truth. The GM for Seattle, John Schnieder, has lapped Dimitroff in 2 seasons on the job, creating a top-3 defense, drafting a franchise, mistake-free QB in Russell Wilson in only the 3rd round, traded for Marshawn Lynch, basically a running game, but didn't stand pat by adding talent to an already talented defense (Cliff Avril) That GM has created a legitimate Super Bowl team in 2 seasons, not a flashy aberration.

Oh I'll answer you, what he has allowed the state of affairs without adequately addressing our needs on both OL/DL is dam criminal and has consistently been my opinion. Plain enough? But to make an misleading statement that he inhierited a playoff caliber team is a ridiculous assumption on ur part

So your m.o. is personal since you wont let that ONE statement that you have an issue with go. Its like some of you just have to be at odds with me rather than stating your opinion and moving on. Why could you just have not given your view on the matter and leave it at that? The team he inherited was talked about, even here in this message board as being a playoff team by several, stating that Vick now had the right coach to maximize his talents. Now its revisionist history that after Vick departed that the same team was garbage. The same scenario played out in 03 when Vick was hurt coming off of the playoff year on 02. Dan Reeves was fired after going 3-13...was that team garbage? No, it was missing a vital component: A true NFL quarterback. So are you saying that Matt Ryan and Mike Smith could not have won 11 games with that 07 team? Well they did, by simply adding Micheal Turner. Funny how that worked out....I mean for a cesspool of a talent poor team, I mean.

So a team in 07, the Petrino throw-away year which had 85 catch, 10 TD 1200 yard receiver Roddy White, Pro bowl tight end Alge Crumpler, Warrick Dunn, Justin Blalock, Tyson Clabo, Harvey Dahl, Ovie Mughelli, Keith Brooking, Jonathan Babineiux, John Abraham, Kroy Biermann , Lawyer Milloy, Michael Jenkins..... constituted a "cesspool"? Before you answer, 5 of those guys were either All-Pro or Pro Bowlers during that 4 year "cesspool" period.

The 2007 team that TD inheirited, not their career accomplishments.

The 2007 team that TD inheirited, not their career accomplishments.

Now you are just trying to use semantics. That was part of the team he inherited, he just released Crumpler and Dunn. His other significant moves were hiring Mike Smith, drafting Matt Ryan and trading for Micheal Turner. Drafting the oft injured and mediocre Sam Baker does not equate to a key move. Edited by kennycaine

Did you show TD your MBGM of the year award before or after he scoofed at your suggestion of Eddie Lacy.

You mean scoffed? The fact is that if he had drafted Werner there would be a complimentary pass rusher to Osi and Lacy would have been what was expected of Stephen Jackson, even a two-headed monster of sorts. What good are the best of cornerbacks if the qb has all day to survey the field? What good is an offense that renders itself one-dimensional even before the game starts. So yes I should show him my MBGM award since my picks, particularly Clay Mathews over Peria Jerry, make sense.

take it for what it is - we gambled that a new younger line ( which we promoted from within ) would gel in time for the stretch run . What we didnt anticipate was the injuries and the fact that the line would be hit with injuries too- am bend dont break defense that was great on stopping teams in the red zone broke after a multitude of injuries.

I dont look at this season as a lost season - I look at it as a correction type season where we will evaluate and see what we have and what we need to take the next step. We will find the keepers and will use as trade bait the parts we dont need to get the parts we do need.

Without the injuries we would have probably made the playoffs again, but unless the line gelled we would still be looking for the remaining pieces - What we knew from last year was

A. Turner was done

B. Clabo wasnt going to cut it

C. We needed Kontz to step up for Mud Duck

D. We needed a better pass rush

E. We needed to upgrade our DB's

After paying Ryan we addressed the other issues and were hoping the new guys could step up - just didnt work out, but saying we didnt try to address last years issues is disingenuous .

He should care since we, as paying fans fundamentally pay his salary. No Fans no team. You took a statement and made it you bullet point but what else do you call it when you see that there is no pass rush but you insist on not acting? He was basically saying that the guys that he drafted 2-3 years ago were going to be enough, even though they had never shown as much. What have you seen of Massaqoui, Mathews or Jerry to show that he was right about them? Right, 201 rushing yards and no quarterback pressure to speak of.

No, he shouldn't. Because if he cared what you thought, he'd also have to care about what some other jackleg thought. And that guy might want to trade the whole draft to move up and pick his favorite college player no. 1 overall. Or trade the farm for his favorite Madden player. Or whatever. And contrary to what you say above, Dimitriff doesn't care what you think precisely because you don't, fundamentally, pay his salary. Arthur Blank pays his salary. You pay Arthur Blank. And if you don't like that arrangement, well, I'm guessing Arthur Blank doesn't care what you think either.

That doesn't mean your opinion is invalid. It doesn't mean you're wrong about Dimitroff's performance. It just means you have a really delusional sense of self-importance regarding whether Dimitroff knows who you are, much less cares what you think.

Alge was past his pro bowl best. His knees were shot and he was finished

Dunn was past his best, verging on retirement

Brooking likewise

Millay likewise

Biermann - A TD draft pick

Jenkins - a serviceable but below average #2 WR

TD inherited some talent, but a team that had won only 19 games in the 3 previous seasons.

You know it all