Falcons Have Drafted Tons Of Offensive Linemen In Dimitroff Era

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to argue w/ you because I cannot distinguish your point from mine. I am saying the Falcons are bad at drafting offensive linemen and so are you.

You say the Falcons wouldn't know a good O-lineman if they saw one, while I say they not only can't find talent, they overpay for the talent they do misidentify as competent.

I could get on board with this. I have always felt Konz was a bit tall for a center. Maybe we move Reynolds to compete at RT and stop playing Lurch wannabes on the interior line ph34r.png

A few years ago Gazoo and Cappy straightened me out about tall centers.

I felt that a 6'5 center was the way to go, but those guys proved to be correct.

(set aside the differance in opinions regarding McClure)

I really feel that we need a squatty bulkdog (6'2-6'3) to leverage the opposing DT's

but this guy would have to be someone who can Push the line.

Konz did a great job at RG considering that he was a Rook.

Reminder:

Consensus was he Ranked #2 out of the 16 rookies that started at RG in 2012.

That alone is foundation to argue him shifting back to RG and when you factor

in a full season of him starting a full season at Center, the experience is huge.

Dimitroff drafting the offensive line:

1st rd - Sam Baker, LT - USC (2008)

2nd rd - Peter Konz, C - Wisconsin (2012)

3rd rd - Mike Johnson, RT/RG - Alabama (2010)

3rd rd - Lamar Holmes, RT/LT - Southern Miss. (2012)

4th rd - Joe Hawley, C - Nevada (2010)

6th rd - Garrett Reynolds, RG - North Carolina (2009)

2nd rd - Justin Blaylock, LG (drafted in '07 by McKay)

I submit to you that most other NFL teams, if you looked at their starting offensive lines - would have them drafted in similiar rounds as what the Falcons have done above. The only team(off top of my head) that has invested more than 2 first rounders on offensive lin is the SF Niners.

• The problem is not enough draft picks an high picks on the offensive line.
  • The problem is Dimitroff/Falcons scouts would not know a good offensive lineman if he/they saw them.

You left off Dead President, a 7th rounder in the 2011 draft. Don't forget about the countless number of bums he brought in through free agency (Blood, Manu, PhillipKeith, Bruggerman, Gunn, VeeTek, Shreoder, Romberg, Wilkerson, Fraser, you name it). That's at least 18 Olinemen in six years. And we're in a mess.

You say the Falcons wouldn't know a good O-lineman if they saw one, while I say they not only can't find talent, they overpay for the talent they do misidentify as competent.

My fear exactly.

If we get a decent LT in FA then we will pay.

If we draft in the Top 10 and get a LT instead of a Beast at DT, I believe that

price will be to high.

I think you are stretching a bit in your post above.

First, Sam Baker has never been and will never be a sure thing. In six years in the league, he's had two good years - not great, but good - it just so happens that one of his good years was a contract year. I call this the "Jeff Blauser effect".

Second, the media had Peter Konz rated highly and a late 1st/early 2nd, but he slipped to the bottom of the 2nd round - just because Mel Kiper/Todd McShay thought Konz was a steal - does not make it so.

People who know me here realize I meticulously follow the NFL Draft. I know that you do as well and in fact in googling a fact check in reply to this thread, I found an exchange between you and I about the 2008 NFL Draft.

Circling back to the point, to say that ESPN pinheads thought Konz was a steal is discarding the opinions of all of the better analysts in the draft, the ones that people like you and I prefer. Ordinarily, I would simply throw out Gosselin stats to refute you on this assertion but he unfortunately retired after 2011. What I will say is that in reading innumberable online and print publications, Konz was universally regarded as a top 50 player, sometimes top 25. Even on this board chock full of weird trolls (that's redundant, I know), few people criticized that particular selection because it is a blueprint example of a value pick.

With regards to Baker, I think there is some truth to the Jeff Blauser comparison, but it's also the nature of the NFL. Few LTs get to free agency and when they do, they are cost a lot to re-sign. Baker is absolutely a risk but he was a good one heading into the most recent offseason. Unfortunately, the theme of the Falcons in September was Unfortunate Injuries at Thin Positions.

weird, thought his executive of the year awards trump his lack of homegrown talent...what position is TD good at without a high draft pick? he's been leaning on his 08 draft...outside of that, what draft did he do awesome in? people keep saying Ryan can't win without a defense, so we shouldn't count the 2011 draft as a win...we marginally increased our offense, but it's an offense that needs a great defense to win a ring as stated on here...reminds me of the AJ Smith/Norv Turner experience in San Diego...I doubt this band of people will turn things around with the upcoming draft.

weird, thought his executive of the year awards trump his lack of homegrown talent...what position is TD good at without a high draft pick? he's been leaning on his 08 draft...outside of that, what draft did he do awesome in? people keep saying Ryan can't win without a defense, so we shouldn't count the 2011 draft as a win...we marginally increased our offense, but it's an offense that needs a great defense to win a ring as stated on here...reminds me of the AJ Smith/Norv Turner experience in San Diego...I doubt this band of people will turn things around with the upcoming draft.

Or it could remind you of the 2000's Eagles.

How did firing everybody work out for both of those franchises?

Watch Mike Smith go to Tampa and be 8-0 next year...

Edited by JulioisCoolio

Or it could remind you of the 2000's Eagles.

How did firing everybody work out for both of those franchises?

Watch Mike Smith go to Tampa and be 8-0 next year...

well the Chargers are doing better...the Eagles are just as bad, partly because of injury issues again, having a running back as your starting QB, DeSean Jackson as your every down #1 receiver, and one of the worst defenses I've seen them field in a long time. if you think Reid would've had the Eagles at 8-0 or any formidable record this year, you're delusional though.

and I can see the Eagles comparison, except for the fact that Reid got them into the NFCC game countless times, and a superbowl. he just never had a short yardage package in Philly...but yeah, a team that's relevant but almost a running joke in the playoffs. kinda like the Falcons

well the Chargers are doing better...the Eagles are just as bad, partly because of injury issues again, having a running back as your starting QB, DeSean Jackson as your every down #1 receiver, and one of the worst defenses I've seen them field in a long time. if you think Reid would've had the Eagles at 8-0 or any formidable record this year, you're delusional though.

and I can see the Eagles comparison, except for the fact that Reid got them into the NFCC game countless times, and a superbowl. he just never had a short yardage package in Philly...but yeah, a team that's relevant but almost a running joke in the playoffs. kinda like the Falcons

The Chargers are doing better? They were 14-2 with Schot. How are they doing better? They aren't doing better until they make the playoffs and then make it a few rounds further because that is where schot got them every year.

The Chargers are doing better? They were 14-2 with Schot. How are they doing better? They aren't doing better until they make the playoffs and then make it a few rounds further because that is where schot got them every year.

lol, no he didn't. he went to the offs 2 out of 5 years, both years he got smashed out in the first game

and I was talking about they're doing better after the Aj Smith/Norv Turner experiment...

Unless you don't know which is the larger: 3 or 0 it should not be that difficult, because that's the difference between

Marty - ZERO post season wins at SD.

and

N. Tuner - Three playoff victories, including getting all of the way to the AFC championship game, which was further than Marty ever got with them.

That was the criteria you set above, and Turner bettered Marty at SD, unless you think that 0 is larger than three, and that reaching the AFCCG is lesser achievement than one and out playoff appearances.