Arizona--Turnover Machine

When you play Arizona, turnovers WILL play a role in the game.

• Arizona is tied for 3rd in takeaways with 15
  • Arizona is 2nd in the league with 17 giveaways
  • Arizona has been involved in 32 turnovers
  • Atlanta only has 5 takeaway but only 7 giveaways

These teams have taken two very different paths to a -2 give/take ratio.

Palmer has 13 INTs. At the end of the day, the Cardinals offense overcomes their defenses good work. When we give the ball up, save the board meltdown. Keep watching...the ball is coming back to us. Palmer will see to it.

Here is a link to team give/take stats on ESPN

Wasn't Geno a turnover machine?

No, only in one game. That is the problem with predictions based on one data point. Palmer, on the other hand, has been consistently producing multiple turnover games. It is just like "Atlanta is terrible in the red zone." That was based on the Patriots game. If you pull that out, we are actually fairly average in the red zone.

So, Palmer and Geno = apples and oranges in the turnover conversation. Even Matt had a 5 turnover game. It happens to everyone once...what is the pattern over time?

We can't count on luck or the other team making mistakes. Being the better team and playing like it for 4 quarters is all that we'll need to get a win.

We've seen time and time again team that are horrible at running run all over us, teams who's QB can't complete a psss pass all over us and teams the cough the ball up at the drop of a dime suddenly become stingy ball hogs when playing us. You can't count on anything.

As Rick Flare said "To be the man you've got to beat the man, whoooooo!"

No, only in one game. That is the problem with predictions based on one data point. Palmer, on the other hand, has been consistently producing multiple turnover games. It is just like "Atlanta is terrible in the red zone." That was based on the Patriots game. If you pull that out, we are actually fairly average in the red zone.

So, Palmer and Geno = apples and oranges in the turnover conversation. Even Matt had a 5 turnover game. It happens to everyone once...what is the pattern over time?

To be fair, Geno Smith has only one game without a turnover....

And 5 out of 7 with 2+.

This season, our defence allows the anomaly

Edited by Pudge™

We can't count on luck or the other team making mistakes. Being the better team and playing like it for 4 quarters is all that we'll need to get a win.

We've seen time and time again team that are horrible at running run all over us, teams who's QB can't complete a psss pass all over us and teams the cough the ball up at the drop of a dime suddenly become stingy ball hogs when playing us. You can't count on anything.

As Rick Flare said "To be the man you've got to beat the man, whoooooo!"

The point is, you can scheme to force Palmer into mistakes. We have to do it. We have to bring edge pressure. Its not about luck, it is about exploiting weaknesses.

The last minute of this "Playbook" video shows one way to attack Palmer.

Outside of the game against us Geno has turned the ball over multiple times in every game except last week when he only had 1 INT. He's the definition of a turnover machine.

If your WRs catch the balls thrown their way. Falcons can win this one without pause.

Panthers played them, Cam was nearly perfect most of the first half, until his WRs started dropping everything that hit them in the hands.. SS89 dropped a pass that would have been a TD.. a crucial third down conversion was dropped by lafell that hit him right between the numbers. and they were able to snuff out our run with mainly just their front four.

Basically, if you let them keep snuffing out your run and your WRs keep dropping passes, then, your qb is going to get desperate the later the game goes on..and try to force things to happen.

Unlike new Cam, he didn't use that many dink and dunk passes against the Cardinals.. Shula wanted long developing plays to be run. Their front 4 ate us up.

Ryan should be able to wreck them with the quick, short passes, and render their pass rush non-existent.

For whatever reason, Cardinals Oline played like they were the Pats Oline of recent years... could rarely get pressure on them. Since the Falcons don't really possess much of a pass rush, can probably catch their Oline sleeping and harrass Palmer all day.

We are on a tangent here. How does this impact the point about Palmer?

Because our defence has shown this season that they are incapable, or at least unlikely, of forcing turnovers even against those most prone to them.

This.

As time passes I feel like MAYBE we can have some success based on the fact that we may be able to create pressure with the blitz and their Oline being sub par in addition to Palmer just doing a poor job picking up blitz packages based on what I saw on Playbook this week. We shall see though.

I just don't have a lot of faith in our D.

This.

As time passes I feel like MAYBE we can have some success based on the fact that we may be able to create pressure with the blitz and their Oline being sub par in addition to Palmer just doing a poor job picking up blitz packages based on what I saw on Playbook this week. We shall see though.

I just don't have a lot of faith in our D.

If our defence can force turnovers that's an obvious bonus, but it's by no means likely to happen regardless of the opposing offence.

I'm sure as the season goes on we'll see more and more turnovers but as it stands we live or die by the what the offence does in terms of being efficient, every drive we come away with no points is a nail in the coffin of defeat at the moment because you don't sense they'll get it back that quickly. Giving them an extra possession or two would be great but again unlikely.

Who knows though, maybe this is the game that kick starts the defence, builds a bit of confidence.

Like usual I find it funny some of the people on here are trying to downplay Carson Palmer, especially when the last time he played the Falcons he threw for 353 yards. He may stink against other teams "supposedly" but with the Falcons nothing is for sure

Passing yards is one of the most overrated stats in football. Especially with Palmer. The guy has stunk for years but he's the king of solid looking stats due to being down and passing for a bunch of yards and often times a late TD. I have no illusions about our D. They're much worse than lost year because they give up TDs, don't get turnovers and can't get off the field on 3rd downs but Palmer tossing for a bunch of yards won't mean a lot if we force 3 turnovers and force them to settle for FGs.

Like usual I find it funny some of the people on here are trying to downplay Carson Palmer, especially when the last time he played the Falcons he threw for 353 yards. He may stink against other teams "supposedly" but with the Falcons nothing is for sure

Yea well, anything good he does is usually mitigated by his ghastly turnovers . See Samuel, Asante, 2012 cool.png

LMFAO, yea ask the Raiders fans how great he is.

I never said he is great, even though I will defend him He's an SC guy! but the truth is after he threw that pick to Asante he drove right back down the field to score a TD. So again, while he may not be good against other teams, fans of this team shouldn't be speaking so arrogantly like he hasn't already shredded up this D before.

To be fair, Geno Smith has only one game without a turnover....

And 5 out of 7 with 2+.

This season, our defence allows the anomaly

Just wanted to bump this after the "greatest game of the year for Carson Palmer" comment by the commentators.

Pathetic display once again, and I don't like to use that word but that's all I can say, it's pathetic.