Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ya_boi_j

2 Of The Best Quarterbacks Of All Time Had Terrible Offensive Lines As Well

28 posts in this topic

Favre and Peyton in Indy. Both had very mediocre offensive lines if you actually sit back and to a gander at the talent on their offensive lines throughout their career. Heck even Aaron Rodgers has a mediocre offensive line. With Manning and Favre though, it only made them better.

The quick release Is part of the reason Ryan sack numbers have shrunk since the first game and a huge reason why Manning was never sacked that much while in Indy. Jeff Saturday was really his only elite lineman. Let's face it. We have who we have, nothing we can do but cry or embrace the moment.

Very true and that's what has impress me about Matt because he is getting rid of the ball quick. I think matt is growing before our eyes this season!

Ryan has been quick for a long time.... it's BEEN the primary reason that he isn't already a David Carr.

just pointing out what 2 greats had to go through since the only thing everyone wants to cry about is the offensive line not giving him enough time. One stat that pops out is the 2 int that came at the end of 2 games. That's where good decision making comes into play. This line is only making him better.

I had written up this whole long reply about how good Peyton's o-line was and when I was trying to delete a word my **** browser went backwards and it deleted it. Peyton Manning didn't have a terrible o-line. He had 3 guys, Tarik Glenn LT, Jeff Saturday C and Ryan Diem RT that was with him for almost his entire run in Indy and all were great players.

I had written up this whole long reply about how good Peyton's o-line was and when I was trying to delete a word my **** browser went backwards and it deleted it. Peyton Manning didn't have a terrible o-line. He had 3 guys, Tarik Glenn LT, Jeff Saturday C and Ryan Diem RT that was with him for almost his entire run in Indy and all were great players.

mediocre and terrible are not the same. They did not have a great line from left to right. It may seem that way judging by how many times he was sacked throughout his career there but they weren't.

mediocre and terrible are not the same. They did not have a great line from left to right. It may seem that way judging by how many times he was sacked throughout his career there but they weren't.

I'm not counting sacks. Tarik Glenn went to 3 pro bowls. Jeff Saturday went to 6 and was all pro twice. Diem didn't have either but was the Colts starting RT for like 10 years. You think if he wasn't good that he would have lasted that long in the NFL as a starter? Especially on a team where Peyton Manning has the standards that he does for his teammates? No he wouldn't have.

I'm not counting sacks. Tarik Glenn went to 3 pro bowls. Jeff Saturday went to 6 and was all pro twice. Diem didn't have either but was the Colts starting RT for like 10 years. You think if he wasn't good that he would have lasted that long in the NFL as a starter? Especially on a team where Peyton Manning has the standards that he does for his teammates? No he wouldn't have.

pro bowl means absolutely nothing man. I guess that means decoud is great as well. I said Saturday was the best. Being a starter for 10 years doesn't make you great. He was good enough to get the job done. Maybe Manning made them look better because of his ability to get the ball out as quick as he did. He's the master of the 3 step drop

pro bowl means absolutely nothing man. I guess that means decoud is great as well. I said Saturday was the best. Being a starter for 10 years doesn't make you great. He was good enough to get the job done. Maybe Manning made them look better because of his ability to get the ball out as quick as he did. He's the master of the 3 step drop

Don't the coaches select the pro bowl players for the OL?

you're more than welcome to value players based on pro bowls.

I know that for the most part the pro bowl is a joke but the Colts didn't have a terrible OL. Matt Ryan has a terrible OL. Peyton never had to deal with that.

1st Matt Ryan is not Peyton Manning or Favre. 2nd, having a ****** OLine is never a good thing and that is what we have. That is an indictment of the GM.

1st Matt Ryan is not Peyton Manning or Favre. 2nd, having a ****** OLine is never a good thing and that is what we have. That is an indictment of the GM.

sorry, I missed my comparison for Matt Ryan to either of the 2. I thought I was giving him props for playing so good behind the offensive line as bad as they are playing.

They were an ok pass blocking unit but couldnt run block for ****. And they had some protection issues in really big spots.

And Glenn was gone for the last 5 years of Peyton's time in Indy.

If true its an indictment of about 30 GMs in the league.

There are very few "good OL" in the league. Everyone wants their protection to be better. It isn't an indictment on the GM, its life in the NFL where defenses are constantly attacking the QB

They were an ok pass blocking unit but couldnt run block for ****. And they had some protection issues in really big spots.

glad 2 people realize what I'm talking about

I said almost all of Peyton's run. Glenn was Peyton's starting LT for 9 years and retired after the Colts won the Super Bowl. And while for the most part they didn't have a running game but they had a few good years running the ball.

1999 - 419 CAR, 1660 YDS (4.0), 15 TD

2000 - 435 CAR, 1859 YDS (4.3), 14 TD

2001 - 438 CAR, 1966 YDS (4.5), 16 TD

2004 - 427 CAR, 1852 YDS (4.3), 10 TD

2006 - 439 CAR, 1762 YDS (4.0), 17 TD

Yet, despite all that, they have one Super Bowl each. You can still be an exceptional QB with poor O-Lines, but it's a lot more difficult to win championships when the teams your facing have great defenses.

Favre and Peyton in Indy. Both had very mediocre offensive lines if you actually sit back and to a gander at the talent on their offensive lines throughout their career. Heck even Aaron Rodgers has a mediocre offensive line. With Manning and Favre though, it only made them better.

The quick release Is part of the reason Ryan sack numbers have shrunk since the first game and a huge reason why Manning was never sacked that much while in Indy. Jeff Saturday was really his only elite lineman. Let's face it. We have who we have, nothing we can do but cry or embrace the moment.

They both have 2 Lombardis between them. Divide how many years it took for that to happen.

One of the if not the best QBs of all time has 1 ring. In how many years?

Look at the QB's that had the best OL's in NFL history and how many rings they have.

Joe Montana - 4

Tom Brady - 3

Troy Aikman - 3

Look at the QB's that had the best OL's in NFL history and how many rings they have.

Joe Montana - 4

Tom Brady - 3

Troy Aikman - 3

Oh I know, I was just thinking out loud , in this case typing. I will admit this is the first year that I can say I am truly sold on Ryan. The past few years always had me thinking, but no matter that I knew he was ours and good enough. Something about this year that he sold me 1000% on him.

We are lucky to have the kid. Give him an Oline and screw the elite weapons. ( besides JJ, If I could I would be massaging his foot right this moment. Move Roddy to the slot and let him do what he does. Just like Gonzo White is a bully who makes it known the ball is coming down his.

We fix this pathetic Oline just enough to give Matt 2.5sec ish and our offensive scoring jumps to at least a 40 a game easy.

You guys will have to forgive me because my disdain for Smitty is new. I really like him as a coach. It's hard for me to say out of loyalty and personal belief but this ...... he has reached potential here. I don't believe in windows closing but yea.

I can no longer rationalize his philosophy about taking what they give vice versa. I think the Irish in my is started to come out. After years of dealing with this team makes me want to pop heads!

Gahh! Sorry ranting. Something I never do online.

Oh I know, I was just thinking out loud , in this case typing. I will admit this is the first year that I can say I am truly sold on Ryan. The past few years always had me thinking, but no matter that I knew he was ours and good enough. Something about this year that he sold me 1000% on himself.

We are lucky to have the kid. Give him an Oline and screw the elite weapons. ( besides JJ, If I could I would be massaging his foot right this moment. Move Roddy to the slot and let him do what he does. Just like Gonzo White is a bully who makes it known the ball is coming down his.

We fix this pathetic Oline just enough to give Matt 2.5sec ish and our offensive scoring jumps to at least a 40 a game easy.

You guys will have to forgive me because my disdain for Smitty is new. I really like him as a coach. It's hard for me to say out of loyalty and personal belief but this ...... he has reached potential here. I don't believe in windows closing but yea.

I can no longer rationalize his philosophy about taking what they give vice versa. I think the Irish in my is started to come out. After years of dealing with this team makes me want to pop heads!

I wish I could plus 1,000,000 this! Nailed it. Anyone that doesn't agree with this is a liar or a fool or both. True story.

Oh I know, I was just thinking out loud , in this case typing. I will admit this is the first year that I can say I am truly sold on Ryan. The past few years always had me thinking, but no matter that I knew he was ours and good enough. Something about this year that he sold me 1000% on him.

Most of this is pretty much exactly where I am.

Couldn't agree with you more!