Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AREA 51

Here Is A Clear Signal The Coach Has Lost The Team

7 posts in this topic

I could not figure out where to post this, but it was too interesting to hide somewhere. This player does not have his coaches back, and he does not hide the fact, but I do not think he should have been suspended for it.

We will know Mike Smith is in trouble if the team starts having poetry readings.

Ohio high school football player suspended for poem criticizing coach, sons

More Sports

By Tim Polzer

A Rittman High School football player was suspended for writing a “mean” poem. (Denver Post via Getty Images)

An Ohio high school football player has been kicked off the team and suspended from school for writing a poem critical of the coach and his sons.

The principal of Rittman High School said 16-year-old Nick Andre was suspended for turning in a poem, entitled “Stupid,” that the school classified as “hazing, harassment.”

Andre turned in the poem as part of a composition class assignment focusing on what makes students angry. The junior defensive end’s poem includes the team’s 1-7 record and alludes to head football coach Bill Dennis, his 25-year-old son and offensive coordinator Tyler, and his son, Blake, a senior wide receiver committed to Akron.

SI WIRE: Texas high school football coach cleared of bullying charges

Here’s the full text of Andre’s poem viaUSA Today:

Losing season,

Favoritism,

Non stop passes from best friend to best friend,

Continuously doing what doesn’t work,

The inability to separate being a father and a coach,

Dropped passes,

But yet still the “super star”,

Yeah right.

Where’s my scholarship?

I can drop passes,

Run backwards,

Miss tackles,

And be afraid to take a hit.

That’s top of the line Div. 1 material right there.

If that’s what they wanted,

They definitely got it.

This whole town will be glad when he’s gone.

For anyone who doesn’t understand what I’m saying,

AKRON’S SCREWED!

After he read it in front of his class on Friday, the school’s principal concluded that Andre, “Wrote a mean and disrespectful poem about another student and our athletic director/head coach.”

SI WIRE: Utah high school football coach suspends entire team

Andre was suspended from school for four days and removed from the football team for the final two games of the season.

He told FOX 8:

“I felt like it was my right to express what I just felt,” he said. “Who am I harassing or hazing? I mean, I didn’t state any names.

“It’s like, wow, just over doing my school work, I get in trouble, get thrown off the football team, you know, get suspended for four days, which could potentially really mess up my grades.”

FOX 8′s report included an opinion from Cleveland Civil Rights Attorney Avery Friedman, who believes Andre’s rights have been violated:

“The breadth of exp
ression, even in public schools, is virtually limitless, unless speech is creating material disruption to the educational process, which certainly isn’t here,” said Friedman.

First, the kid is a complete tool for airing team problems in the open like that.

Second, the kid is a complete tool for being passive aggressive and disingenuously claiming not to mention any names.

Third, the kid is a complete tool for Writing very bad poetry.

It sounds like the coach and his kid are tools too, as is the School administration.

What we have here is a big freaking school toolbox.

neekah and roguebeaver like this

I just wonder how the Principal found out about it.

I can't remember one time in HS where our Principal knew anything about our class assignments.

I just wonder how the Principal found out about it.

I can't remember one time in HS where our Principal knew anything about our class assignments.

LOL....I KNOW RIGHT....Didnt even know I had a principal until I got in trouble..LOL