Being 2-4 Has Brought Drama, Excitement To Falcon Season

PokerSteve

The Falcons came into this season among the favorites to reach the Super Bowl, then got off to a slow start. That slow start was further aggravated by injuries at key positions on both sides of the ball. Suddenly the Falcons find themselves at 1-4, struggling to field a team with mid-round draft picks, FA's and last-minute fill-ins. Virtually on life support entering the Tampa Bay game, the Falcons managed to do enough things right to get their second win of the season. The win was sweet, but it was hardly the easy, dominating win the team would have liked to have gotten under their belt against a winless team with coaching issues.

Despite the disappointment of the slow start, or possibly as a direct result of it, this is already turning out to be an incredibly exciting season. I know I can't wait to see what happens in the Arizona game. There's more drama packed into this contest than in a week's worth of tv soap operas. Will our OL be able to hold off Abe? Will the Falcons defensive secondary avoid getting torched by Palmer? He got about tree-fiddy against us last time we played him. Can our young DE's get some sacks and turn-overs against said Palmer? Can our young secondary guys keep Fitz and their other top receiver under control, especially in those last few minutes of the game?

Will Nolan go super-agro or will he revert back to bend-but-don't-break? Will SJax have any impact in the game? Will HD have anything like the success against the Cardinal secondary he enjoyed against the Bucs? Will Darius Johnson have any impact in the game? Will TG be able to counter the expected double-team he will be going against and be productive? Can Ryan avoid taking sacks on critical downs? Can he lead this offense to TD's rather than FG's this week? Who is going to be our punt/kick returner? And lastly, will the extreme pressure of such a poor record, motivate Mike Smith to genetically modify the dinosaur known as Smittyball? Perhaps morph it into a more high-scoring hybrid on offense and a more aggressive, higher risk scheme on defense?

I'm as excited and looking forward to each game now with at least as much anticipation as last year when we were on top of the NFC and cruising. It seemed this team had all the answers back then. Now it seems the team has only questions. Some of those questions will be asked and answered this week, others will be answered as the season wears on. One thing is for sure, we've got some great young players that are going to be providing some thrills and some chills. And with the overall crappiness of the NFC in general, if we even win a few more games in the next month we'll probably be in the play-off hunt, which will greatly please all the ho-zombs and keep them excited as well.

It's almost enough to make a man holler RISE UP, and that could very well happen Sunday afternoon.

So tell me, are you more or less excited about watching the games with the situation the team finds itself in at the moment? Do you look forward to watching? Dread it? Neither? Explain.

Edited by PokerSteve

I am always pumped for the games up until the point if we get mathematically eliminated. When we do, the excitement level drops considerably and I don't drink near as much LOL. just sit back with a calm cool clinical eye and evaluate players. If we clinch early real exciting because you can root for seed/homefield. Bottom line we are still just one game removed from the last wild card spot. Got to win these next two, and things will get pretty exciting again

Nice post, +1

I think it's great for fans who aren't here just for the glory.

I personally am really enjoying the tension around every game. It's great TV, that's for sure.

Good seeing some young guys step up, good seeing what is looking like a very good draft class.

But it's painful seeing the stars on the sidelines, and it's even more painful when you think of #88

The goal is, and always will be playoffs then the superbowl. So it will always be painful looking back on this season as "the" season we had a shot to win it all.... if we don't pull off quite a few miracles.

But if we do. Greatest season ever.

Nice post, +1

I think it's great for fans who aren't here just for the glory.

I personally am really enjoying the tension around every game. It's great TV, that's for sure.

Good seeing some young guys step up, good seeing what is looking like a very good draft class.

But it's painful seeing the stars on the sidelines, and it's even more painful when you think of #88

The goal is, and always will be playoffs then the superbowl. So it will always be painful looking back on this season as "the" season we had a shot to win it all.... if we don't pull off quite a few miracles.

But if we do. Greatest season ever.

+1. Great post!

We've played and won a lot of close games during the Smitty era. Losing more often hasn't brought anymore drama from my perspective.

You don't think there's more drama with our losing record, huge question marks on OL and DL and Smitty's HC seat starting to get a little bit warm for the first time? You must be a Type B personality.

Edited by PokerSteve

I'm keeping my hopes level for a few more games... but I can't help but think of our 3 game run in 2009 (which started with a brutal defensive game with the Jets and ended with backup Snelling sealing it in Tampa Bay) for our first back-to-back winning seasons. Can we still harness that magic?

Edited by Mr. Lubba Lubba©

It's actually been less drama for me. The expectations have already been shattered. With some of the edge taken off I'm able to sit back and enjoy the game, instead of chewing my nails off. If we end up making something of this season so much the better.

It's actually been less drama for me. The expectations have already been shattered. With some of the edge taken off I'm able to sit back and enjoy the game, instead of chewing my nails off.

That was one of the points I meant to make and missed doing so. With no expectations, the stress is gone for me too. I'm over the disappointment now and find myself enjoying the games much, much more than I have in a while. It's great to watch the young guys I didn't expect would have a chance to play at all get to go out and start. It's also intriguing to see what and how Smith adjusts his schemes with his regular season winning streak on the line and some heat on his job.

Excited by having a losing record. Lol

uh, no, chief. You missed the gist. I'm excited about certain situations that have arisen out of the losing record, I'm excited about how the players and coaches will respond, I'm even excited about the ramifications for the franchise if the players and the coaches don't respond in a positive way, but I'm not excited about the losing record. Lol

Honestly as being a huge homer with my team.The win against the Bucs was nothing spectacular but it seemed the team gained confidence as the game progressed.When you players like Harry Douglas step the way he did it gives us all a ray of hope for the remainder of the season.

Matt Ryan took the team on his back and put on a real show.Yea it was Bucs but he stepped big time to show all of these rookies that he is in charge.

Nolan pumped the defense from the sidelines and they responded.If these rookies get better every week then this season can become really special but Nolan has to continue to play very aggressive.We might our *** burned a few times but don't change the aggressive nature ....we need that for a young D.

Man if this team get to 4-4 this team could become bulletproof.White gets back and Spoon soon after then the sky is the limit...gonna be interesting.A young team with an attitude and confidence could be real special come playoff time!

Heck yea I support the team.....and don't give up,quit,circle the wagons......Rise UP!!

Go Falcons

I like watching us win no matter who we are putting on the field. I don't like watching us lose no matter who we are putting on the field. However, the anticipation on Sunday morning is different when we are playing a lot of rookies/unknown players, because who knows what they might do? They might beast. They might burn. Unlike rolling the same old roster out there week after week, these guys might get better. It is kind of exciting.

I'm both nervous and excited. We are at the pinnacle and we are teetering back and forth. will we drop off or RISE UP!. Across the NFL we have been thought of as soft for years, in both coaching and player mentality. Our guys are fighting like crazy right now to tilt the right way and IMO are showing they are not soft.

I'd feel a whole lot better if some of the Rooks started to shine. Most are doing excellent for Rooks as it is, in fact it's incredible when you realize how many we are fielding that they aren't getting beat like drums on every play. They are shinning as Rooks indeed but, it would be nice to see 1,2 or 3 of them put on their NFL shine.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, and honestly hadn't really thought about how different it is than last year....I remember loving the first half of games and then stressing out in the 2nd half of most games, being flabbergasted by the inferior play of our "superstars" at the most inopportune times....

this year, its like I don't know what to expect, so many young players are stepping up, and making mistakes at times, as expected, and now the expectations from the beginning of the season are gone, beat up, and gone like our superstars....but what isn't gone is the spirit of hope in a league full of parity and the knowledge that 2-4 does not eliminate us, that the adversity of the first half of this season could provide the last little nugget of resolve and fortitude to push us into NY in february.......as I read in another post earlier, that could give us the "greatest season ever"

I say bring on the Cards, lets play some football!!!!!!!!

I know one game at a time. But I see game against Arizona and Panthers is the most cruicial games of the season. We have to Win against Arizona to keep in pace with panthers and have to beat the panthers if we have any chance to make the playoff as a 6th seed.

Edited by falcon_owns_nfc_south

uh, no, chief. You missed the gist. I'm excited about certain situations that have arisen out of the losing record, I'm excited about how the players and coaches will respond, I'm even excited about the ramifications for the franchise if the players and the coaches don't respond in a positive way, but I'm not excited about the losing record. Lol

cool just making sure man

This is seriously why I watch and love the game. I love the emotional roller coaster. The ebbs and flows. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love winning and want a Lombardi even a dynasty but losing and seeing the team struggle will never scare me away.

Yep. And the Falcons have always been great at providing that emotional roller coaster. No matter how convinced you are that you know how they're going to play, whether good or bad, this team will fool you and leave you shaking your head in amazement or bewilderment. They're literally like that iconic box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Edited by PokerSteve