Who Is An Elite Quarterback? Well It May Surprise You.

Russell Wilson is not even close to elite. He has the best supporting cast around him in on his team. There was a thread earlier this week where people share what their definition of "elite" was. My opinion is that an elite quarterback makes their offense what it is. Without that player, the team would basically crumble to a 3-13 season. I don't see that with Wilson at all. That team plays good defense and has a power running game. Russell Wilson is good, but he's not elite. At all...

Uh, with Wilson the Seahawks went from scrubs to Super Bowl contenders. Look at the Jags and the Chiefs. Having a great defense and a great running back does NOT guarantee a winning season; having a great QB makes the difference from winning two games all of last season to being undefeated through seven games now. There will probably never be another 2000 Ravens.

I wish they would be more specific in defining a elite qb. Now a days every good qb is thought to be "elite". In my opinion only 4 qbs are elite. It ruins the definition trying to call all these qbs elite

This is just it, they can't be more specific. Elite to each person can be different. People nowadays seem to worry more about players on their favorite team being classified as elite than they do about the team. You have to admit, this elite stuff keeps the sports channels and fans debating endlessly though. I liked the days when you had guys like Montana, Elway, Marino, Simms, Fouts etc and it was about football, not who is elite or not.

I like Wilson, but I feel that people decide that their needs to be a certain amount of elite players in the league at each position, so just choose the top 5 or whatever.

If Peyton and Brady retired at the end of the season then people would start putting number 6 and 7 from this year as elite, for example.

*Using them as examples because of age, by the way. I don't want to get into a Tom Brady argument.

One of the main reasons the writer tries to claim wilsons eliteness - his lack of quality receivers - is the main reason I don't label him elite. Brees, Manning, rogers and Brady (previously) turn average receivers into superstars. They go to other teams and are average at best. Wilson relies on his run game, defence and scrambling ability. I would take him over RG3 and Kapernick but not Luck. Luck turned an average team into a playoff contender. Wilson just completed the missing piece for Seattle.

Btw - this year is showing Matty Ryan might not be as dependent on an all star cast as we thought. Imagine if he had a decent oline. He's showing me a real grit and determination to be the qb who carries this team in good and bad times.