The Obamacare Website - How Does It Represent A Failure Of Government?

Leon Troutsky

So Obama is unreasonable to insist that the product be ready by the deadline that had to be set in the companies' contracts. He "rushed a product to market" by asking that it be ready on the day they paid to have it ready.

That makes sense.

But he has already delayed employer mandate. And now contemplating delaying individual mandate. But he couldn't delay a rollout that was not ready to go?

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Obama is unreasonable to insist that the product be ready by the deadline that had to be set in the companies' contracts. He "rushed a product to market" by asking that it be ready on the day they paid to have it ready.

That makes sense.

just another example of why "government" is not supposed to be selling products. you are a total hack. The government "F'd" this up nine ways to sunday but your precious ideology won't let the words come out of your mouth :D

If I contract work out to someone, I expect them to do it. If they do a poor job, it's their fault...but I have to take the heat for their failure.

If that happens enough, it calls into question my ability to outsource work, and, ultimately, perform my duties.

That said, this most certainly does not indicate a failure of 'government'. It constitutes a mistake by the government, and failure by the private company hired y the government. I don't understand what's so controversial about saying that.

just another example of why "government" is not supposed to be selling products. you are a total hack. The government "F'd" this up nine ways to sunday but your precious ideology won't let the words come out of your mouth biggrin.png

He's criticized the government plenty in this thread.

If I contract work out to someone, I expect them to do it. If they do a poor job, it's their fault...but I have to take the heat for their failure.

If that happens enough, it calls into question my ability to outsource work, and, ultimately, perform my duties.

That said, this most certainly does not indicate a failure of 'government'. It constitutes a mistake by the government, and failure by the private company hired y the government. I don't understand what's so controversial about saying that.

This government sure makes a lot of mistakes.

it is a semantic debate, really

one could easily argue that it isn't a failure at a theoretical level while one could just as easily point at the reality of our government (keeping in mind that nobody spoke out about CGI having a no competition clause because they were lining their pockets with the $1,000,000+ that CGI gave out in lobbying) and argue that it is

The government contracted with a private company. But somehow the government controls all aspects of that private company and how the product is produced? That sort of nullifies the whole purpose of contracting with private companies.

The failure appears to be with decision-makers in how they select companies to receive contracts. That's a serious problem, but not the same as calling this a "failure of government".

Kind of like saying an English paper is horrible and filled with inaccuracies but the penmanship is great.

When that same goverment is making last minute requests, the programmers spot red flags and then that same government chooses to roll out a website that's not ready---yes, that's the government's fault not a private company. The bigger failure is not getting a reasonable price, not going with an American company and obliging lined pockets. That's the biggest failure of it all and yes, that's a failure of the government...

I'll tell you how this is a failure by the government. It's the same mistake the government makes with EVERY contract they hand out to private companies they contract with. This is not a slam on Obama, this is a slam on our government operation that has been going on for generations.

The government does not negotiate SLA's properly. When you are awarding hundreds of millions and/or billions of dollars in a contract, the SLA is the most critical portion of the contract. It happened with Haliburton. It happens with every private organization the government gives tax dollars to. The government has to do a better job of protecting that money.

I'll give a real world example. When a private organization hires another company for a consumer facing service, success rate is critical, and their are SLA's around uptime and success rate. If the success rate is not met, the awarded company has to pay back penalties. 99.999% (also referred to 5 9's) success is required in healthcare and finance. The lower the success rate, the higher the penalties. Negotiating this on the front end ensures that companies do not over commit the schedule and commits the proper resources and testing prior to the launch. This ensures success. And no, companies will not turn away a $500m contract because of this type of SLA. By not having this SLA, the contracted company will try to maximize profits by committing as few resources as possible knowing that there is absolutely no financial risk to them of not delivering on quality.

What happened with Haliburton? They were paid $4 billion before the government realized they were half @$$ing it and got fired, but not until after they got record profits without having to pay anything back. We are seeing the same thing now, and people act surprised by this.

I'll tell you how this is a failure by the government. It's the same mistake the government makes with EVERY contract they hand out to private companies they contract with. This is not a slam on Obama, this is a slam on our government operation that has been going on for generations.

The government does not negotiate SLA's properly. When you are awarding hundreds of millions and/or billions of dollars in a contract, the SLA is the most critical portion of the contract. It happened with Haliburton. It happens with every private organization the government gives tax dollars to. The government has to do a better job of protecting that money.

I'll give a real world example. When a private organization hires another company for a consumer facing service, success rate is critical, and their are SLA's around uptime and success rate. If the success rate is not met, the awarded company has to pay back penalties. 99.999% (also referred to 5 9's) success is required in healthcare and finance. The lower the success rate, the higher the penalties. Negotiating this on the front end ensures that companies do not over commit the schedule and commits the proper resources and testing prior to the launch. This ensures success. And no, companies will not turn away a $500m contract because of this type of SLA. By not having this SLA, the contracted company will try to maximize profits by committing as few resources as possible knowing that there is absolutely no financial risk to them of not delivering on quality.

What happened with Haliburton? They were paid $4 billion before the government realized they were half @$$ing it and got fired, but not until after they got record profits without having to pay anything back. We are seeing the same thing now, and people act surprised by this.

when federal employees are protected by unions and when taxpayer money and gov't borrowing has been unlimited, there simply is not enough accountability for waste and failure. it may sound simplistic, but when you break it down, that is the bottom-line.

A huge mistake/mistakes in private companies can cause the whole company to go down or suffer substantial losses and/or jobs. In government, not so much...

I did. Was it because he called it a Money Court? I did not see anything racist.

Now look who is using the race card so quickly.

I am exposing the hypocrisy of the left. If a Republican congressman said "monkey court" - there would have been at least 2 articles written about it and it would have made all the nightly news shows.

Of course there was nothing racist about it - but certain words/phrases are used as weapons against the right - but not the left - regardless of context.

I am exposing the hypocrisy of the left. If a Republican congressman said "monkey court" - there would have been at least 2 articles written about it and it would have made all the nightly news shows.

Of course there was nothing racist about it - but certain words/phrases are used as weapons against the right - but not the left - regardless of context.

No they wouldn't. If they said the president was acting like a monkey, then yes they would, which is justified.

*Hug* It is okay there. Plenty of fish in the sea. You will get them next time. *pat on head*

that isn't why its funny. Stealing is a common practice among the liberal. Whether it be men (that whole slave trade to bring the world "enlightenment". Or the hottest mumford and sons song via illegal download, or the taxes used to give people cell phones.

if you're proud of sloppy seconds that's your thing.

Edited by the F-GAtor