The Obamacare Website - How Does It Represent A Failure Of Government?

Leon Troutsky

As an aside, I got my company's open enrollment and for this year at least, no major changes although generic copays dropped down to $2 a script. Office visit co-pays went up $5 but the RX savings will offset that. Deductible went up $500 for hospitalization but that's not a big deal for me personally.

So at least for 2014, there's no harmful effect on me personally. We'll see what the future holds...

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside, I got my company's open enrollment and for this year at least, no major changes although generic copays dropped down to $2 a script. Office visit co-pays went up $5 but the RX savings will offset that. Deductible went up $500 for hospitalization but that's not a big deal for me personally.

So at least for 2014, there's no harmful effect on me personally. We'll see what the future holds...

My wifes plan which I am on, was announced yesterday and the changes for 2014 were similar, with 1 big change to their compensation. As to afford minor changes over fiscal 2014, the company would hold the line on their coverage, but would Stop 401k matching. The further explanation to the employees was the Mandates for the company side weren't in play for the fiscal year but 2015 Would see changes to the coverage. Their was Also 1 major change to their coverage. No more coverage for domestic partners.

Mods - please consolidate all other Obamacare threads into this thread. This appears to be somewhat of a master thread.

Mods - please take each obamacare thread - and separate it out into 10 individual threads.

Mdrake, if you don't shut-up about it, I am going to put up five a day out of spite - god, you are a whiner.

There are a total of 5 out of 28 topics on front page. Its not like there is nowhere for you to go on this board. The meltdown of Obamacare is on every news station, every radio, its everywhere - and its going to be on "Anything but Football" as well.

If don't want to not see it, go to - as you say - College Football Recruiting - or NFL Draft and Free Agency. When I am in TATF or NFL Draft, there is no talk about Obamacare by myself nor anyone else.

Nothing from that link will drive down cost of care.

REALLY? So you don't think cross state competition wouldnt drive down costs? It increases the RISK pools #1 which would automatically drive down costs. Tort reform would cut the HUGE insurance costs to hospitals and MDs. Many general practictionars go out of business BECAUSE of their huge insurance costs. Those 2 right there would be Huge. There are a number of ways, ie. portability of ones insurance and plans alla cart where you pick exactly what coverage you need and want, not paying for the add ons. A minimal catastrophic policy for young folks would Be perfect, along with expanded retail docs and even Home services. There are many ways to cut costs and the FDA regs greatly increases drug testing so NO wonder we have such expensive drugs. Again, limit liability claims and bring down those costs as well. Edited by Deisel

Mods - please take each obamacare thread - and separate it out into 10 individual threads.

Mdrake, if you don't shut-up about it, I am going to put up five a day out of spite - god, you are a whiner.

There are a total of 5 out of 28 topics on front page. Its not like there is nowhere for you to go on this board. The meltdown of Obamacare is on every news station, every radio, its everywhere - and its going to be on "Anything but Football" as well.

If don't want to not see it, go to - as you say - College Football Recruiting - or NFL Draft and Free Agency. When I am in TATF or NFL Draft, there is no talk about Obamacare by myself nor anyone else.

It was a sarcastic post. I'm sorry that I didn't put it in purple for you. If you think the mods look at this place you're mistaken.

But go ahead, knock yourself out champ. Post as many threads as your heart desires.

REALLY? So you don't think cross state competition wouldnt drive down costs? It increases the RISK pools #1 which would automatically drive down costs. Tort reform would cut the HUGE insurance costs to hospitals and MDs. Many general practictionars go out of business BECAUSE of their huge insurance costs. Those 2 right there would be Huge. There are a number of ways, ie. portability of ones insurance and plans alla cart where you pick exactly what coverage you need and want, not paying for the add ons. A minimal catastrophic policy for young folks would Be perfect, along with expanded retail docs and even Home services. There are many ways to cut costs and the FDA regs greatly increases drug testing so NO wonder we have such expensive drugs. Again, limit liability claims and bring down those costs as well.

So why if I am making more money as a doctor would I lower prices? What are you going to do, shop doctors...

What force will drive down drug costs that also include crazy side effects?

So why if I am making more money as a doctor would I lower prices? What are you going to do, shop doctors...

What force will drive down drug costs that also include crazy side effects?

Seems like you're advocating the direct approach of Federally mandated fixed prices.

Your right, no matter how much we lower the cost of doing business for doctors, they will not lower prices (in a free market) without threat of competition.

Which incidentally is the opposite of what Obamacare is doing: It's increasing demand for doctors; Which is why costs are going to go up (even more than before). But the genius of the law is in combining the increased demand with soft price caps that will eventually squeeze these insurance companies into oblivion from both ends. Hello Single-Payer.

Opening up competition between states or organizing more exchanges just adds more salesmen, but does nothing to increase the supply of doctors (where the price jumps originate).

Seems like you're advocating the direct approach of Federally mandated fixed prices.

Your right, no matter how much we lower the cost of doing business for doctors, they will not lower prices (in a free market) without threat of competition.

Which incidentally is the opposite of what Obamacare is doing: It's increasing demand for doctors; Which is why costs are going to go up (even more than before). But the genius of the law is in combining the increased demand with soft price caps that will eventually squeeze these insurance companies into oblivion from both ends. Hello Single-Payer.

Opening up competition between states or organizing more exchanges just adds more salesmen, but does nothing to increase the supply of doctors (where the price jumps originate).

I am about what will drive price down so we don't really need insurance companies. Or they are only for crazy diagnosis. But you got to pay those nurses and doctors have to pay those 200k loans. I believe they should be high, but goodness.

Doctors don't make as much as you think. The surgeons and people involved in that process are the guys pulling in millions. Family practice doctor which will pretty much be unheardof in three years make paltry money compared to srgeons.

best medical profession when combining: income, malpractice insurance, liability = dermatologist.

• 3 weeks later...