The Obamacare Website - How Does It Represent A Failure Of Government?

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're going off the White House's funny math to get that 27,000 figure for Healthcare.gov and actual enrollment (people who have purchased a plan) is around half that number ...

Then essentially we've spent upwards of $1,000,000,000 (and counting) on a non-functional website and have sold 13,500 insurance plans.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of which tier-level plans these first month enrollees are purchasing.

Glad life time maximums are coming back. Glad the utopian old system is coming back. Oh well obamacare nor the old system does anything about cost. It would need government intervention anyway. We can't stop the legal drug trade train now can we?

Government interventions. Government cannot do anything right. Only private corporations can save us.

Government interventions. Government cannot do anything right. Only private corporations can save us.

Government can do SOME things right - the problem is the people/politicians who want government to do EVERYTHING - and things they have no business doing. Stick to infrastructure, roads/bridges and the national defense.

A website that the private sector is able to create in a few months for $10 Million takes the federal government 3yrs and a $1000 Million to screw up... sounds about right; That pretty much answers the thread question.

Although...is it a failure of government if it's doing exactly what the Liberals wanted in the first place: to wreck the system until the people demand single payer?

Okay, let's say you guys get obamacare repealed. How are we going to deal with rising healthcare costs? Baby boomers getting older....

First, you have to realize that Obamacare does nothing to deal with rising healthcare costs. All it does is redistribute the burden to other people.

Edited by Doozer

First, you have to admit that Obamacare does nothing to deal with rising healthcare costs. All it does is redistribute the burden to other people.

I didn't mind having that burden though... But I accepted that when I bought into insurance at my work place. The more people use, the higher my premiums will be down the road. Obamacare addressed it slightly by spreading it around...

Now what would you propose... I'm not allowed to criticize without a solution in IT...

Edited by lostone

I didn't mind having that burden though... But I accepted that when I bought into insurance at my work place. The more people use, the higher my premiums will be down the road.

So why are you asking people how to fix problems that Obamacare doesn't even address? It would be like asking how are we going to end world hunger if Obamacare is repealed..

So why are you asking people how to fix problems that Obamacare doesn't even address? It would be like asking how are we going to end world hunger if Obamacare is repealed..

I edited. It slightly addresses it.

I'll ask this way... Is there a way to address rising healthcare costs without government intervention? If so, how?

I edited. It slightly addresses it.

I'll ask this way... Is there a way to address rising healthcare costs without government intervention? If so, how?

If cost was the only problem, then it's a simple fix. But's it's not. The trade-off for affordability is a decline in accessibility and quality. Choose one to the detriment of the other two. Right now, we're using government to push accessibility. So the question becomes not IF government intervention is the solution, but to what purpose do we use it for?

Also if we were to remove government intervention, what would be the equilibrium point? You should be familiar with this concept in IT. (quality/speed/cost)

If cost was the only problem, then it's a simple fix. But's it's not. The trade-off for affordability is a decline in accessibility and quality. Choose one to the detriment of the other two. Right now, we're using government to push accessibility. So the question becomes not IF government intervention is the solution, but to what purpose do we use it for?

Also if we were to remove government intervention, what would be the equilibrium point? You should be familiar with this concept in IT. (quality/speed/cost)

Well you only get 2 so you get to pick. My question would be how packed would speed really be before I make the decision... We are running low on general docs and that is a problem. Remember insurance pays whatever they want for a procedure and the left over is charges to you if the company decides they want to.

Over the past 4 years, not one liberal from Barack Obama down has been able to convincingly explain to me how the Affordable Care Act would actually achieve affordable healthcare.

Republicans have a great opportunity here and I fully expect them to completely bungle it. Should be amazing to watch.

'Tort reform'. And nothing else.

Do yourself a favor and go read up on the GOPs ideas that have already been suggested, written up but Squashed by the democrats without allowing debate. You can then be more up to date on your knowledge and then responses.

Over the past 4 years, not one liberal from Barack Obama down has been able to convincingly explain to me how the Affordable Care Act would actually achieve affordable healthcare.

Republicans have a great opportunity here and I fully expect them to completely bungle it. Should be amazing to watch.

All they have to do is offer a nice solution and be pragmatic.

My thought with ACA was going to be "everyone has insurance" so the hospitals would get paid more and so would doctors... So costs wouldn't rise any further.

No way to bring down costs right now without government intervention right now... Greed kind of sucks in healthcare and pharma :(