The Obamacare Website - How Does It Represent A Failure Of Government?

There's an old saying - success has a thousand fathers but failure is an orphan.

I just wonder what all the people who say that the private sector could do a better job are thinking right now. Because the private sector are the ones who apparently screwed up this website.

because this is the industry I work in, I know that management has to be **** near as technical as the developers to really get this right. With software development it's quite amazing the ratio of bad to good developers there are. Architects are worse because a lot of times it's the people who they want to stop coding that end up there. Still I blame the people who vetted this company and didn't have the right people in place to make the right decision.
  • Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because this is the industry I work in, I know that management has to be **** near as technical as the developers to really get this right. With software development it's quite amazing the ratio of bad to good developers there are. Architects are worse because a lot of times it's the people who they want to stop coding that end up there. Still I blame the people who vetted this company and didn't have the right people in place to make the right decision.

I definitely think there is a failure to vet the private companies that created this website. My only point in this thread is that I don't see how it's some failure of the national government when they contracted with private companies to create this website that isn't working. The private sector is supposed to operate more efficiently. Perhaps it doesn't. That's what I hope people will reconsider going forward.

I definitely think there is a failure to vet the private companies that created this website. My only point in this thread is that I don't see how it's some failure of the national government when they contracted with private companies to create this website that isn't working. The private sector is supposed to operate more efficiently. Perhaps it doesn't. That's what I hope people will reconsider going forward.

they were Canadian so not only did they go and overpay for a trash site they went to another country. So not only is it more proof of this administrations poor "business" decisions. It will roll out a product that is not even ready.

they were Canadian so not only did they go and overpay for a trash site they went to another country. So not only is it more proof of this administrations poor "business" decisions. It will roll out a product that is not even ready.

Exactly! Trying to defend the administration on this one is nothing but hackery...

Wait what?! They went with a Canadian company... Dude... I ... Got dammit someone should lose their job. Help America you *** holes. At least if we are going to waste money let it be to American companies... I want to know who chose this company... Which advisor... They need the boot!

It is immoral to steal and call it "caring".

It is immoral to mandate that someone buy something or be stolen from in addition.

it is immoral to present the tool of compliance (whether written by the thief or no) to the public when it is unsafe, unsecure and nigh impossible to interface.

The question is not one of legality nor whom wrote the software, but yet again, that the FedGov (and it's "Torrie" supporters and sycophants) believe they own other people.

Okay.. new nerd rage...

They claim no amount of testing could have prepared the site... I would like to know what was their anticipated load? how did they performance test this system? 20k users per second? 100k users per second? There are tools to help you simulate load that can be used to determine what would happen. I am interested because that is my current job. Who was the architect? Was he told bad requirements? I put money they threw people at this and just said get it done... I bet that code is an abomination (Obamination .. your welcome Republications)

What is partisan about my question? Several private companies created and built the website that failed. I'm just curious how that represents a failure of government, as many people are claiming.

Or to put it more succinctly:

"Government can't do anything right and as proof look at these private companies who screwed up this website."

I know you have to understand that management is ultimately held responsible for their decisions and hires since those decisions were theirs to make. It was the responsibility of Sebelius and her boss (Obama) to ensure that the people they chose to put into place were the right people for the job...and no, I don't think Obama interviewed the web designers, but the **** flows upstream in any business.

Do you remember the plaque Truman had on his desk?

trumans-the-buck-stops-here.jpg

Just because Obama has shown NO SIGN of adhering to that philosophy does not mean that it is still not true

I'm confused, so enlighten me. How is the website glitches/problems somehow the fault of the federal government and a failure of the federal government?

you think you are so brilliant and smart - and then you post something like this that illustrates to everyone how clueless you really are.

The better question is why anyone would have thought it wouldn't be a failure? How could anyone have confidence in this administration to do anything well? Especially something as complicated as manage the health care for tens of millions of people.

Obama and his group are a bunch of leftist hacks. The IRS scandal showed us that.....Its laughable and arrogant that Obama/Dems think they can run the healthcare industry - clearly they cannot.

The website is just "Step#1" in the rollout of embarrassments for Obamacare. It will get worse. Eventually the website will get fixed after spending another 1/2 billion on it. However, the website is just a small part of Obamacare - the rest of the rollout will be equally as bad.

It just shows the ridiculousness of the left - as how they think government could/should be in charge of more things in America.

It's obvious that only a couple of people on this thread have ever dealt with the government procurement process and the companies that contract with them. The government usually play 2 to 3 times more for a product than a private company would. They don't really know what they want i.e. the bureaucrat ordering the stuff has zero knowledge of the product to begin with. Companies that deal with the government know they they can do as little as possible and still get paid and drag out the contract as long as they can until some government watchdog comes along to show how little they've actually done for the astronomical money they made. This is not the private system. It's the government's stupidity and inefficiency corrupting the private system that "handles" governments external needs. Private companies don't and will not act this way when dealing with each other because they'd be out of business.

Acworth stay in your classroom and lock the doors. Real world business is obviously well out of your scope of understanding and experience.

Actually I was able to go to healthcare.gov site. Didn't sign up though.

Oh stop with this liberal agenda crap. It weakens your argument and stops me from agreeing with you. Just say what the issue is. If you said "this is a bad idea", Rather than this is a "leftist nazi boondoggle is going to burn America to the ground". It sounds more reasonable.

It's obvious that only a couple of people on this thread have ever dealt with the government procurement process and the companies that contract with them. The government usually play 2 to 3 times more for a product than a private company would. They don't really know what they want i.e. the bureaucrat ordering the stuff has zero knowledge of the product to begin with. Companies that deal with the government know they they can do as little as possible and still get paid and drag out the contract as long as they can until some government watchdog comes along to show how little they've actually done for the astronomical money they made. This is not the private system. It's the government's stupidity and inefficiency corrupting the private system that "handles" governments external needs. Private companies don't and will not act this way when dealing with each other because they'd be out of business.

Acworth stay in your classroom and lock the doors. Real world business is obviously well out of your scope of understanding and experience.

So who do they hire to make sure these things go smoothly? What could be done so there would be no abuse by contractors?

Actually I was able to go to healthcare.gov site. Didn't sign up though.

Oh stop with this liberal agenda crap. It weakens your argument and stops me from agreeing with you. Just say what the issue is. If you said "this is a bad idea", Rather than this is a "leftist nazi boondoggle is going to burn America to the ground". It sounds more reasonable.

this is a bad idea.

So who do they hire to make sure these things go smoothly? What could be done so there would be no abuse by contractors?

The simplest thing to do is add in language to the contracts so the government can stop payment if delivery/quality don't meet established goals. Far too often the payments keep going out and the products don't come in or they're faulty. These contractors know it and abuse it. Why? Because the government lets them do it and still pays them and more often than not they have a brother, uncle, or cousin on the government side that got them the contract that keeps the checks coming.

The simplest thing to do is add in language to the contracts so the government can stop payment if delivery/quality don't meet established goals. Far too often the payments keep going out and the products don't come in or they're faulty. These contractors know it and abuse it. Why? Because the government lets them do it and still pays them and more often than not they have a brother, uncle, or cousin on the government side that got them the contract that keeps the checks coming.

I know it's probably a buddy of someone in the government. Why does no one in government draft up contracts like you describe? Democrat or republican?

Wait what?! They went with a Canadian company... Dude... I ... Got dammit someone should lose their job. Help America you *** holes. At least if we are going to waste money let it be to American companies... I want to know who chose this company... Which advisor... They need the boot!

I agree. And THIS is what people should be outraged about.

I know you have to understand that management is ultimately held responsible for their decisions and hires since those decisions were theirs to make. It was the responsibility of Sebelius and her boss (Obama) to ensure that the people they chose to put into place were the right people for the job...and no, I don't think Obama interviewed the web designers, but the **** flows upstream in any business.

Do you remember the plaque Truman had on his desk?

trumans-the-buck-stops-here.jpg

Just because Obama has shown NO SIGN of adhering to that philosophy does not mean that it is still not true

You're missing the point. People are running around using the website failure as some proof that their ideological view that government fails at everything is true and that the private sector can do things like this more efficiently. It's not about who is held responsible. That would definitely be the administration. The point is that this was a failure of the private sector. Government did not create this website.