The Obamacare Website - How Does It Represent A Failure Of Government?

Leon Troutsky

Only point I was making was it's not going up and up like people are saying. Now let's cut some more and get us back to surplus! But I hope we can so it in such a way that we don't go back into a recession...

The only way it will ever happen is if a President gets elected that is willing to foster up cuts from both sides. Both sides have not played nice with each other for a while now. We need a leader that is going to be willing to cut spending from programs endorsed by either side. The problem is that those individuals are never the leading candidate for either side because the party thinks they are going to lose out if they are elected. And they will lose out, so it's an ugly cycle. I think it's about time an independent gets elected so that they can try to reason that middle ground where neither side loses too much, they just find a happy compromise. A fiscal conservative that is not tied to the Conservative party is ideal IMHO.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way it will ever happen is if a President gets elected that is willing to foster up cuts from both sides. Both sides have not played nice with each other for a while now. We need a leader that is going to be willing to cut spending from programs endorsed by either side. The problem is that those individuals are never the leading candidate for either side because the party thinks they are going to lose out if they are elected. And they will lose out, so it's an ugly cycle. I think it's about time an independent gets elected so that they can try to reason that middle ground where neither side loses too much, they just find a happy compromise. A fiscal conservative that is not tied to the Conservative party is ideal IMHO.

With enough forethought to know the consequences of his actions, but I would agree with the conservative part. I just want a prez who will take on big corps and big government.

With enough forethought to know the consequences of his actions, but I would agree with the conservative part. I just want a prez who will take on big corps and big government.

I agree with your comment regarding forethought, because drastically cutting spending has a high level of risk associated with it. But I think it's a lot more than taking on big corps and big government. I think it's more about a prez that's willing to do what is right, even if it's unpopular. The right thing is not always the popular thing, and politicians are always more concerned with the public perception of their actions rather than trying to do things the right way. Politicians are more concerned with getting re-elected than they are about getting the proper policies in place.

It's a catch 22. A person that truly wants to do what is right for our country won't get the support of either major party. They also won't get the financial backing to lead a competitive campaign. And that person will get dragged through the mud by both parties because both parties are more concerned about winning than they are about addressing difficult issues that nobody wants to talk about.

I agree with your comment regarding forethought, because drastically cutting spending has a high level of risk associated with it. But I think it's a lot more than taking on big corps and big government. I think it's more about a prez that's willing to do what is right, even if it's unpopular. The right thing is not always the popular thing, and politicians are always more concerned with the public perception of their actions rather than trying to do things the right way. Politicians are more concerned with getting re-elected than they are about getting the proper policies in place.

It's a catch 22. A person that truly wants to do what is right for our country won't get the support of either major party. They also won't get the financial backing to lead a competitive campaign. And that person will get dragged through the mud by both parties because both parties are more concerned about winning than they are about addressing difficult issues that nobody wants to talk about.

^^^^Ted Cruz.....

He is doing and saying what is the RIGHT thing to do and even his own party turns against him. Also, before Acworth and Googlebot come in and say "Ted Cruz shutdown the gov't" - its simply not true. Everything outside of funding Obamacare was on the table to be re-affirmed - it was Obama and Harry Reid who decided to shut it down. Ted Cruz has been proven RIGHT to want to defund Obamacare. Taxpayers have already funded over 1/2 billion for a website that does not work and sounds like they are probably racking up another 1/2 billion to fix it - a friggin' website!!! Now, thanks to Obamacare, we may have more uninsured than insured in January. Obamacare was worth fighting against.

As far as "the right thing, not being the popular thing" - you are right again. Social Security and Medicare - Ponzi schemes both - cannot be dismantled because too many people depend on them. In light of that, reforms need to be made so these programs have a chance to survive. Dems want "status quo" and Republicans don't want to put their heads on chopping block because reforms would cost them politically - so we have a ticking time bomb to explode the debt and no one will do anything about it because of politics.

I'd also like to hear a credible alternative to Obamacare from the right. All that I've heard so far is "tort reform". But tort reform is not going to keep uninsured people from going to the ER, which increases costs for everyone. Tort reform is not going to help people who have preexisting conditions from getting insurance to cover their illnesses.

So we have Obamacare and we have a system modeled on what other countries around the world have done (like single payer). And from the right, we have what proposal or plan?

your attitude is wrong here. Americans have a great healthcare system - its not perfect and does not serve all people well (pre-existing, deserving poor).

To you, because of the two deficiencies, your goal is to scrap a system that works extremely well for 85% of Americans, to cater to the 15%. Obama/Dems never thought - maybe we could just focus on creating something for the 15%. Why? Because where is the fun in that? We want power over ALL the people.....Its pure arrogance - as has been shown and will continue to be shown - the U.S. Gov't has no business in the Health Insurance market. This system was created by Obama/Dems - regardless that its mostly still private insurance, Obama/Dems are controlling the industry so much that an estimate up to 93 million people will lose their current coverage that they like. It will be replaced mostly by costlier insurance to subsidize the pre-existing and the poor.

What will happen in the end is simply - the overall system will be worse - more cost, less service and less access and freedom to choose your doctor.

So, before you shout "tort reform" (that is all Republicans offered), look at the good things about our system and what is being given up - you fail to recognize the good - you only see the bad - so you are blind to the overall system of healthcare. You are focusing on the 15% of the total system - this makes you blind to the overall system. "First, do no harm" - Obama is harming the system that we have.

^^^^Ted Cruz.....

He is doing and saying what is the RIGHT thing to do and even his own party turns against him. Also, before Acworth and Googlebot come in and say "Ted Cruz shutdown the gov't" - its simply not true. Everything outside of funding Obamacare was on the table to be re-affirmed - it was Obama and Harry Reid who decided to shut it down. Ted Cruz has been proven RIGHT to want to defund Obamacare. Taxpayers have already funded over 1/2 billion for a website that does not work and sounds like they are probably racking up another 1/2 billion to fix it - a friggin' website!!! Now, thanks to Obamacare, we may have more uninsured than insured in January. Obamacare was worth fighting against.

As far as "the right thing, not being the popular thing" - you are right again. Social Security and Medicare - Ponzi schemes both - cannot be dismantled because too many people depend on them. In light of that, reforms need to be made so these programs have a chance to survive. Dems want "status quo" and Republicans don't want to put their heads on chopping block because reforms would cost them politically - so we have a ticking time bomb to explode the debt and no one will do anything about it because of politics.

What the **** do you expect my grandmother to live on if you take away social security? Want her to go get a job?

Why? So people who are doing a great job and are repeatedly elected have to leave office?

this should be bi-partisan:

Dems who need to be out:

Nancy Pelosi

Barney Frank

Frank Dodd

Maxine Waters

Sheila Jackson Lee

Republicans who need to be out:

John Boehner

John McCain

Lindsey Graham

Enrollment was VERY slow in MA when the program started.

Extend your attention span.

the rollout of the website is not going to be the undoing of Obamacare - its going to be the sticker shock of Americans with premiums increasing dramatically. This program will fail.

Under 300 through Nov. 1. Did Masscare start out that slow?

Yes, it was.

this should be bi-partisan:

Dems who need to be out:

Nancy Pelosi

Barney Frank

Frank Dodd

Maxine Waters

Sheila Jackson Lee

Republicans who need to be out:

John Boehner

John McCain

Lindsey Graham

What did those Republicans do that makes them need to be voted out?