Cam Making It Look Easy

Panther Pride

St+Louis+Rams+v+Carolina+Panthers+phBU8jnmZo0l.jpg

"Hard work through the week pays dividends."

Those dividends have come in the form of a high level of efficiency consecutive victories, with Newton producing a career-high 143.4 passer rating two weeks ago at Minnesota and completing a career-high 88.2 percent of his passes last week versus St. Louis.

"It's not me. It's the offense," Newton said. "The line has been playing great, and guys have been catching the ball and doing something with it.

"We're playing more confident. We're doing the little things right."

Behind the scenes, Newton is playing a bigger role in the little things. As he's become more comfortable in the offense, the coaching staff has become more comfortable with handing him more of the reigns.

"He's a little more involved in terms of helping in the decisions about what plays are going to be called. That's been a big part of his maturation process," head coach Ron Rivera said. "He comes in on Tuesday (typically a day off), they sit down and go through a list, and he brings a list. They talk about what he's most comfortable with.

"Come Wednesday, after practice they talk about what he did like and didn't like, and Thursday it's the same thing."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Newton-only-making-it-look-easy/79cb4a2e-bf74-4515-b547-6624ac9b3704

Yes, Cam Newton is now apart of the offensive game-planning.

Edited by Panther Pride

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam has been efficient as heII this season for the most part, I'll give him that. He's really only played 1 bad half of football the entire year... and that was against the Cardinals when, for whatever reason, the team just had an implosion and where 3 of his 5 INTs came from. Shula and Rivera's lack of adjustments in the 2nd half are a big part of the performance in that game.

The locker room is without question his right now. The whole team got fired up and played inspired after Cam took that big hit from Quinn, appeared hurt, then came back afterwards... the game was essentially over after that.

Cam has been efficient as heII this season for the most part, I'll give him that. He's really only played 1 bad half of football the entire year... and that was against the Cardinals when, for whatever reason, the team just had an implosion and where 3 of his 5 INTs came from. Shula and Rivera's lack of adjustments in the 2nd half are a big part of the performance in that game.

The locker room is without question his right now. The whole team got fired up and played inspired after Cam took that big hit from Quinn, appeared hurt, then came back afterwards... the game was essentially over after that.

Did that remind you a little of the Delhomme days also? You know when Delhomme would get hurt in his early years with the team, the entire team would get fired up afterward.

Did that remind you a little of the Delhomme days also? You know when Delhomme would get hurt in his early years with the team, the entire team would get fired up afterward.

Haha didn't really think about it, but yeah. I remember Cam was really in awe of Jake after meeting him for the first time and he visited the team this offseason giving his speech or whatever it was. Cam talked about how he coveted the way he commanded the room and wouldn't stop until he had that feeling... I don't think I've ever really heard him talk so highly of someone now that I think about it, so whatever happened there left a huge impression on him.

He really started making strides in his leadership at some point around that 2nd Tampa game last year in my opinion. That Oakland and 2nd Saints games last year were pretty similar to that Rams game albeit to a lesser extent.

wait....all we heard for the last couple of years was that he was fine and didn't need maturing or growing up

As far as what? Maturation as a football player, of course he does, as do all young QBs. You know good and well that was never the argument when it came to Cam.

Saw Cam twice live last year, what an impressive all-around football player.

I dont care if he's matured or not, I aint his daddy, I'm a football fan and its what happens on the field that matters.

Havent seen him yet this year, so I am looking forward to tonights game to see whats new with NYG4's boo... but no way you can deny his numbers over the course of his 2.25 seasons.

The guy is a beast, no one in the NFC South wants to play him on gameday.

If anyone in here says they are looking forward to those games with Cam on the other side of the ball, they just arent thinking real well.

Carolina is a PITA on every NFL schedule because of his versatility. There isnt another QB in the NFL with that versatility, speed and size.

And he continues to get better.

As far as what? Maturation as a football player, of course he does, as do all young QBs. You know good and well that was never the argument when it came to Cam.

you got to remember saints fans dont know what its like to watch a qb grow....brees was in what his 7th year when he signed with the saints???? ive watched ryan improve and grow every year since 08...cam is certainly doing the same thing with less of a supporting cast on offense

you got to remember saints fans dont know what its like to watch a qb grow....brees was in what his 7th year when he signed with the saints???? ive watched ryan improve and grow every year since 08...cam is certainly doing the same thing with less of a supporting cast on offense

you have no idea what you are talking about but thanks for playing!

I said have been saying for the last two years that Cam needed to mature as a leader. I didn't question his ability or his mistakes because I knew he had the tools but it takes time to adjust to the speed of the NFL

I was blasted on more than one occasion for suggesting that Cam's demeanor was an issue. This offseason, he came out and admitted it was a problem and has obviously been working on it. I have also given him props this year for taking that step forward.

so now I am waiting for one of you to attempt to twist that into something negative

you have no idea what you are talking about but thanks for playing!

I said have been saying for the last two years that Cam needed to mature as a leader. I didn't question his ability or his mistakes because I knew he had the tools but it takes time to adjust to the speed of the NFL

I was blasted on more than one occasion for suggesting that Cam's demeanor was an issue. This offseason, he came out and admitted it was a problem and has obviously been working on it. I have also given him props this year for taking that step forward.

so now I am waiting for one of you to attempt to twist that into something negative

Dang.. I can't with you pressuring me like that!.. Give me some time to think about it, jeeze!

you got to remember saints fans dont know what its like to watch a qb grow....brees was in what his 7th year when he signed with the saints????

Saints have never been known for developing QBs or even really drafting QBs successfully, but Saint fans arent alone in their bashing of Cams development on this board.

Its pretty universal.

Saints have never been known for developing QBs or even really drafting QBs successfully, but Saint fans arent alone in their bashing of Cams development on this board.

Its pretty universal.

i agree ive done my fair share of cam bashing....but i was nvr all that serious about it....every qb has to pay their dues on this board....ryan had too freeman had too

i agree ive done my fair share of cam bashing....but i was nvr all that serious about it....every qb has to pay their dues on this board....ryan had too freeman had too

oh yeah. I think I even remember WFW (I think it was WFW, if not, my apologies, WFW) that started a thread recently about Brees and the lack of red zone offense for the Saints.. as a way to smack em. If a qb didn't get crapped on here from time to time, something would be wrong.

Steve Smith said the light bulb finally went on in Cams head. So now we cant blame the defense, the OL, the lack of weapons on Cams poor showings. This has vinidicated what I've been saying all alone that Cams lack of understanding the offense has hampered the Panthers. Now that the coaching staff has changed him into a game manager and limited his chances of making a missake the Panthers seem to have turned a corner. That or not beating a team ranked higher than 25th in defense..... Time will tell.