Is It Impossible For Falcons To Carry A Lead Into Halftime And Outscore Their Opponents In 3Rd Quarter?

g-dawg

I understand that, but seeing how the Falcons are always flat in the third quarter, I would rather the Falcons give up an opening game touchdown then one to start the second half. The Falcons can try and snatch any momentum from building for the other team, or just wake up after half- time and pad the lead with an opening second half drive.

I do not have the success rate for Falcons' opponents on opening second half drives, but the Falcons need to do something different to get going in the third quarter.

Just my thoughts.

I would prefer not to immediately put more pressure than needed on the offense (ie. Ryan) because you feel like experimenting in the 3rd quarter.

Yeah our "consistency" in the 3rd quarter is uncanny. My wife and I always just give each other "the look" at halftime just dreading the anticipated 3rd quarter malaise. If we escape out of the 3rd quarter without doing too much self-inflicted damage, we both smile. If not we give each other "the look" of dread again. This tendency has become so ingrained in us that we pretty much expect the entire game to hinge on the 3rd quarter.

I think FFS70 may have a good point though about us winning so many coin tosses and electing to receive first as a "logical" reason for this. All I know is it always leaves me baffled.

I don't understand why people on here are this willfully moronic in constantly pushing to defer. You do that when you have a defense that is worth it snuff, not one that can't stop a nosebleed.

I disagree, our defense always comes out strong early. I don't think anyone has scored on us on their first possession against us this season

***edit***

the Jets scored on their first possession with a FG

I don't understand why people on here are this willfully moronic in constantly pushing to defer. You do that when you have a defense that is worth it snuff, not one that can't stop a nosebleed.

What's wilfully moronic, is sticking to the same approach that has been casing us problems, rather than trying something different.

I actually prefer to defer even without the 3rd qtr issues, because it gives you a chance to blow open a close game or a way back from a sizeable deficit, if you can have the last meaningful possession of the first half and 1st possession of the 2nd and can score on both. The Bucs did it on Sunday, scoring either side of the half to get back in to a game where they were being blown out.

What's wilfully moronic, is sticking to the same approach that has been casing us problems, rather than trying something different.

I actually prefer to defer even without the 3rd qtr issues, because it gives you a chance to blow open a close game or a way back from a sizeable deficit, if you can have the last meaningful possession of the first half and 1st possession of the 2nd and can score on both. The Bucs did it on Sunday, scoring either side of the half to get back in to a game where they were being blown out.

In all fairness the reason they got back in the game had more to do with the fumble on the punt return than the coinflip. I'm hesitant to blame the last third quarter collapse on coaching. Mike Smith football is all about winning the turnover margin, and eliminating penalties. Our failure to do either of those things is what allowed the Bucs to get back into it.

It seems like every time i watch a game we get first possession

I've wanted us to defer every single time we've won the coin toss; however, after thinking about it, I change my mind. If we really do play better in the first half then I want the offense to get their extra posession during the half in which they actually call and execute good offensive plays.

this problem really became an issue last season and carried into this one......my theory is that it started with the decline of Turners effectiveness, leading to our inability to clock manage and grind defenses into submission....I believe we tried to fix this by getting SJax, but since we did not have a lead in the NO game, and he got injured very early in the Rams game, I do not know if the issue got its fix, I am hoping his return will show us an answer

Edited by jamescbr

I'd like to see us defer at the kickoff, so we get the first chance to establish momentum by getting the ball first in the 3rd qtr.

At least try SOMETHING different.

Normally I would adamantly disagree with you but now that we're minus our elite WRs and even SJax and a few others I actually like the idea.

The added benefit people seem to be ignoring regarding deferring is the ability to better control the clock in the second quarter and string together points on consecutive possessions.

Given the offense's ability to run off long drives of 12+ plays and 8-9 minutes, or the ability to score fairly quickly, it would be of great benefit, IMO, to know that we're getting the ball in the second half. We could make more measured decisions about controlling the ball in the second quarter.

Plus I look around and I see some of the better coaches in the league favor deferring. Bill Belichick defers a lot. Both Harbaugh brothers defer. Mike McCarthy defers more often than not.

this problem really became an issue last season and carried into this one......my theory is that it started with the decline of Turners effectiveness, leading to our inability to clock manage and grind defenses into submission....I believe we tried to fix this by getting SJax, but since we did not have a lead in the NO game, and he got injured very early in the Rams game, I do not know if the issue got its fix, I am hoping his return will show us an answer

We had the same issue in several games in 2010 and 2011, but people overlooked in because we were able to hang or coming back too win each of the games.

More people noticed it last year, because it happened in our 2 biggest games and because it ended up costing us the NFC title.