We Need A Defense Period

I disagree. I think we need a Defensive Exclamation Point!!!!!

Our defense is mediocre. We need 1 or 2 superstars to emerge. Alford or Trufant could fill one of those roles (eventually). Everyone is big on Weatherspoon, but even before his injury, I never saw him as a superstar, even if he is the defensive leader/play caller. But, as always, I have hope, and will be drinking in lot C early tomorrow morning. Rise Up!

We have the worst of two worlds: A defensive minded head coach who seems incapable of fielding a good defense and who likes to meddle in the offense to make it more conservative. The injuries have broken the back of an already bad, though rebuilding, defense and now Ryan can't constantly bail the team out in the 4th quarter like he has done since he was drafted since there is only so much he can do. I also don't think this defense has had an identity since Smith has gotten here either.

We have the worst of two worlds: A defensive minded head coach who seems incapable of fielding a good defense and who likes to meddle in the offense to make it more conservative. The injuries have broken the back of an already bad, though rebuilding, defense and now Ryan can't constantly bail the team out in the 4th quarter like he has done since he was drafted since there is only so much he can do. I also don't think this defense has had an identity since Smith has gotten here either.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup.... Agree

If we had all our players healthy, especially on offense, and we had a good enough O line to give Ryan time to find his playmakers, we would be fine even with the mediocre defense we have. Not saying that I wouldn't like to see a better defense but I think the priority this off season has to be getting one or two pro bowl caliber offensive lineman.

i just dont see how we can call our defense mediocre, were effin terrible and have gotten worse. we made geno smith look like tom brady, we have had good games on d and nolan made us look like we might be good last year but were terrible. we looked good early and had injuries but we gotta be able to win games without having to put up 30 points

I came into this year thinking O-Line was our biggest need and we should double dip in the coming draft on it but after the last few games i agree; we need upgrades on defense and in a bad way. Sure the injuries don't help but let's be honest they were never amazing.

I'm hoping us ganging up on more man-to-man corners foretells us getting some good pass rush this next offseason. Fingers crossed.

this team has lacked a defense since 2008, we looked good at times but we never had a feared defense. our offense did just enough to eek out wins. thats not working anymore. our lack of a defense is why we are 1-4.

I'd actually disagree with you on that one because at least the defense in the past was capable of getting some turnovers and playing solid redzone defense this defense is just plan pathetic they can't play in the 20's or between them and can't force any turnovers as well.

Edited by THE ICEMAN

To be fair we are the 12'th best offense in the league as far as points go; above teams like NE, SF, Cinci, Carolina or SD.

Because the points are consistently in that mid to high 20's range. This is why I pay little attention to stats. They don't tell the whole story. We need balance on the offense, this passiing crap isn't getting us into the end zone regardless.

Because the points are consistently in that mid to high 20's range. This is why I pay little attention to stats. They don't tell the whole story. We need balance on the offense, this passiing crap isn't getting us into the end zone regardless.

I'm not sure i understand your point. We're 12'th in the league at scoring points and 25'th in the league at stopping points being scored on us...

I'm all for the 'stats don't say everything' line of thinking, really i am. And yeah, we could definitely be more balanced on offense. But to think our Defense is less of a problem is kind of weird.

I'm not sure i understand your point. We're 12'th in the league at scoring points and 25'th in the league at stopping points being scored on us...

I'm all for the 'stats don't say everything' line of thinking, really i am. And yeah, we could definitely be more balanced on offense. But to think our Defense is less of a problem is kind of weird.

This is the issue I think. I don't think the defense is less of an issue. I think it is a major issue, I also do not think this passing thing is working the way it was thought to. They put ALL of their eggs in the passing basket, so now the defense has suffered and the offense as well. The lines on both sides are the foremost problem, but you have to be able to run the ball. Very few teams that had no run game have won a SB. We need to be more balanced on offense and definitely better on defense. Its easy.

This is the issue I think. I don't think the defense is less of an issue. I think it is a major issue, I also do not think this passing thing is working the way it was thought to. They put ALL of their eggs in the passing basket, so now the defense has suffered and the offense as well. The lines on both sides are the foremost problem, but you have to be able to run the ball. Very few teams that had no run game have won a SB. We need to be more balanced on offense and definitely better on defense. Its easy.

Oh yeah, i agree on that one completely. I thought you were saying our Offense was a bigger concern than our defense. We definitely need to get better running the ball and upgrading the O-Line in general will fix a lot of our offensive woes, at least imo. We need Defense first though, i think.