For Those Who Think Td Hasn't Invested In The Ol And Dl Are Wrong!

Why would TD go OL in the first few rounds in 2008-2010 when we were set with Baker, Blalock, McClure, Dahl and Clabo?

2010 he took Johnson because he saw he had 3 OL coming to FA in 2011. So he had replaced Dahl with an All American RG a year early. Had he known he was going to bust due to injury, which by the way was not an issue at BAMA, then it would have been a bad plan. RG was the only position we changed since 2008. Unfortunately Johnson got hurt, so we plugged Reynolds. That didn't work so 2011 was a busted year with the OL.

All of this "TD hasn't invest in the OL" talk is pure hindsight. What TD did was bank on his draft picks, something yall are wanting him to do again. He banked on Johnson not suddenly becoming injury prone to fix his only hole at RG. He banked on Holmes to be stout enough to play RT and his coaches to get him in shape. I'd understand if they cut Clabo before the draft and didn't pick someone. But they didn't. That falls on Hill misjudging his players.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't go through every post in this thread, so I'll just say this, because I'm sure it had to have been mentioned at least once:

TD CAN'T DRAFT LINEMEN, OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE.

It's obviously not his strong suit and he needs to give it over to someone else. Just because he expended the draft picks towards making the lines better, he's really missing on talent or production from those picks.

I think with what he's done in his years here, we can finally see that quantity doesn't equate out to quality. Whatever system he's using to pick linemen needs an overhaul and quickly.

Add me to the list of people whose criticism lies in TD's ability to evaluate line talent. Furthermore, I don't know why people just keep ignoring the fact that Smith shares this responsibility with him as well. They stated this really strongly in their early years, but you hear it less and less as time moves forward. Furthermore, the coaching staff here seems unable to develop the picks they have made in the past. This brings into question Smitty's ability to hire the proper line coaches as well.

Furthermore, when they do have #1 picks, they have the uncanny ability to pick guys with long injury histories (e.g. Baker and Jerry). While no one has a crystal ball to predict these things, in Jerry's case he already had a serious knee injury before we picked him up, which really concerned me when we drafted him. But I made the false assumption that TD and company knew what they were doing. I was wrong.

In summation, I really have no faith in this entire organization's ability to pick or develop line talent. Likewise their FA pickups here are average at best with Edwards being one of the worst FA signings I can remember. However, Osi was an excellent pickup. Perhaps they can change their fortunes in the draft as well. Konz seems to be a good choice, and I think Holmes will also pan out eventually even though I wonder why they spent a 3rd round pick on him.

So, I just can't agree with the OP's original assessment that lack of high picks is the cause of how bad lines.

I didn't go through every post in this thread, so I'll just say this, because I'm sure it had to have been mentioned at least once:

TD CAN'T DRAFT LINEMEN, OFFENSIVE OR DEFENSIVE.

It's obviously not his strong suit and he needs to give it over to someone else. Just because he expended the draft picks towards making the lines better, he's really missing on talent or production from those picks.

I think with what he's done in his years here, we can finally see that quantity doesn't equate out to quality. Whatever system he's using to pick linemen needs an overhaul and quickly.

Why is it TD and not the coaching?

Or is it Smith's philosophy that sacks are overrated? If the HC tells the GM that he doesn't need impact pass rushers, than perhaps that's why TD waits to the mid rounds to draft em.

You may have hit upon the real reason this team hasn't had a legitimate in-house-developed pass rush stud during Smith's tenure. Until now I had hated Smittyball without even realizing its odiousness consisted of more than just a ******** in-game philosophy, but was also perverting our draft philosophy and compromising our picks. Smittyball, a great way to bore fans to death, cough up leads in play-off games and decimate roster depth by choosing crappy, later-round draft picks for the trenches.

Edited by PokerSteve

TD has been working the budget (cap). He has tried to slowly transition lower draft picks into starting roles. It has not worked, but I can not fault his attempts. Of course, by now, it is apparent that he will need to invest more money into the lines. Here is my quick answer to how this problem can be fixed.

1. Allow Gonzalez to retire. That should give the team another 6million in cap space.

2. Let Perry and Babs go, as well. Babs has been great, but his ROI will drop off quickly after this season. It is time to let him go one year too early (better than two seasons too late).

3. One single Free Agent signing: a Right Guard. Let's bracket Konz with two good vets.

4. Allow Holmes to get his reps this season and see how he competes with Baker next year. The cap forces us to work with what we have.

5. Role the dice at the RT spot. Sure, draft a prospect in the third or forth rounds, but count on Johnson and Trueblood to duke it out. Again, the cap dictates.

6. Draft the best DL's in the first, second and possibly third rounds. We can get much better very quickly, if we can stack the DL with quality players. There are good 3-4 DL's in this draft. It is time for us to go for it.

Edited by etherdome

I see no downside in letting TD go after this season. Both lines would have to make a tremendous turnaround over the remaining schedule to

retain TD. I just don't think the talent is there. TD made a gutsy decision that almost paid off, but he can't get a 2nd chance after such risky

choices. TD has shown no knack for addressing the 2 most critical areas of a team.

TD has been working the budget (cap). He has tried to slowly transition lower draft picks into starting roles. It has not worked, but I can not fault his attempts. Of course, by now, it is apparent that he will need to invest more money into the lines. Here is my quick answer to how this problem can be fixed.

1. Allow Gonzalez to retire. That should give the team another 6million in cap space.

2. Let Perry and Babs go, as well. Babs has been great, but his ROI will drop off quickly after this season. It is time to let him go one year too early (better than two seasons too late).

3. One single Free Agent signing: a Right Guard. Let's bracket Konz with two good vets.

4. Allow Holmes to get his reps this season and see how he competes with Baker next year. The cap forces us to work with what we have.

5. Role the dice at the RT spot. Sure, draft a prospect in the third or forth rounds, but count on Johnson and Trueblood to duke it out. Again, the cap dictates.

6. Draft the best DL's in the first, second and possibly third rounds. We can get much better very quickly, if we can stack the DL with quality players. There are good 3-4 DL's in this draft. It is time for us to go for it.

I think we'll have a ton of cap space so there a bunch of different moves TD could make

Mine would be address the OL 1st in Free agency there will be some pretty good OT available

Sign

Brandon Albert and possibly Eugine Monroe as well if the price is right

I wanted to add Alex Mack to the list but I just don't see the Browns letting him walk

DL

Jared Allen yes he's what 4-5 years older than Michael Johnson but is a far more productive and disruptive pass rusher and would come much cheaper.

Bj Raji could possibly get this guy fairly cheap as he's become a rational type player either way I'm still not sure if GB let's him walk but he'd be a nice piece.

Westly Woodyard LB plays for the Broncos guy plays all over the field and is fairly good in coverage as well

If we did say 75% of that it really opens up the draft and gives TD the chance to go best avaible and hopefully that be a pass rusher.

I think people forget how poorly the top OT's taken last year are playing this year Fisher and Johnson have struggled and Luke Joeckel is out for the year so just drafting an OT may stoill not fix the problem and on defense I believe Dion Jordan is playing less than 50% of the defensive snaps for Miami and that's with no Cameron Wake.

Edited by THE ICEMAN