Is Mike Smith This Era's Marty Schottenheimer?

Honestly I felt that schottenheimer was a better coach. His defenses struck fear in other teams, and his offenses were very progressive. He was just unlucky the last go round.

I think smitty is down right terrible at what he does, which is being the defensive brain trust of this team. He is a glorified outdated dc who fell into the right situation. Top echelon qb, good gm, and an owner that is willing to do what it takes.

Edited by osiruz

Honestly I felt that schottenheimer was a better coach. His defenses struck fear in other teams, and his offenses were very progressive. He was just unlucky the last go round.

I think smitty is down right terrible at what he does, which is being the defensive brain trust of this team. He is a glorified outdated dc who fell into the right situation. Top echelon qb, good gm, and an owner that is willing to do what it takes.

Luck had nothing to do with it. He had five career wins in the post season. Five. Norv Turner had over half that many with the Chargers after they canned Marty. He could put together winning seasons but choked in high pressure games as a coach, which is the calling card of Smitty.

This^^

He is riding on the coat tails of Ryan, Julio, Roddy, Gonzo and Turner(08-11).

He is suppose to be a defensive minded coach and yet our defense fails to improve. Its been 6 years and our D still has the same issues it had in 08 and it appears it is getting worse.

Luck had nothing to do with it. He had five career wins in the post season. Five. Norv Turner had over half that many with the Chargers after they canned Marty. He could put together winning seasons but choked in high pressure games as a coach, which is the calling card of Smitty.

Right but ill take Marty of turner anyday. For one, Marty built that team. He was putting up formidable records, and they played you tough. Under Turner they were always in danger of missing the post season, and they did not play up to their potential. He basically mooched off of Marty's team until he got fired.

Edited by osiruz

I have a ton of respect for Smith and what he has done here in Atlanta. His regular season record and lack of postseason success is earily similar to Marty's.

Just posing the question.

And how did that work out for the Chargers after he left (No playoff wins and they miss the playoffs 2 years straight and now a new coach.)

And how did that work out for the Chargers after he left (No playoff wins and they miss the playoffs 2 years straight and now a new coach.)

Revisionist history? It worked out much better for the Chargers. Turner won three playoff games, for the Chargers, compared to zero for Marty. They actually reached the conference championship under Turner. Turner won those three playoff games in his first three years there. It took Smith five years just to win one in Atlanta.

Schottenhiemer would be remember much differently if Lin Elliot didn't get bought off by the mob and shank 3 easy FG's in a 10-7 loss to the Colts in the playoffs. Those Chiefs teams were ridiculously good in those days. Frankly, I'm surprised Marty doesn't have a job in the NFL these days with as many terrible coaches as there are in the league these days.

Right but ill take Marty of turner anyday. For one, Marty built that team. He was putting up formidable records, and they played you tough. Under Turner they were always in danger of missing the post season, and they did not play up to their potential. He basically mooched off of Marty's team until he got fired.

Marty built teams but he never did anything with them. He would win a good deal of games in the regular season then would coach to not lose instead of to win in the playoffs and his teams failed every single time because of it. What good is building a 14-2 regular season game if the coach doesn't know what he's doing when the song and dance matters? The Chargers considered that and proceeded to get rid of him. They made a mistake hiring someone like Turner who had a track record of being a poor head coach but he still did what Marty couldn't: Win in the playoffs.

I posted 3 years ago (under my previous usermark) that MIke Smith = MartyBall. People killed me. They got all sensitive and literal about it. I was pointing out their offensive philosphies and conservatism as a winning forumula in the regular season and how it doesn't translate to post season results. Marty, Norv Turner and Smitty are all peas in a pod

Smith will make a bad team average. He can make an average team good. Can't make a good team great. Doesnt have that ' it ' thing that makes a coach elite. Best way to describe him is he's to business like. No emotion , no fire. Actually hes just boring as sh i t to me.

We were pretty **** great last year and really **** close to making the SB. Maybe we were outcoached vs. SF (on the critical play, we were), but if we make a play at the end of that game or if we had a little more to work with on the defensive side, maybe we win the SB last year and no one says anything like this about Mike Smith.