Good Read In The Ajc About Offensive Line

FRALIC

To be fair, our defensive system isn't really an "inside out" type of scheme.

We really should have transitioned to a 3-4-heavy set two years ago. We'd need a fat guy anchor but we would have been able to replicate our "success" while making the transition, IMO.

But when it was, we STILL didn't really do a good job drafting for it.

To be fair, we went out and got Jerry and Peters, but we really didn't do anything about the DE position.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most frustrating thing about Konz is he gets beaten like a drum by the swim move, over and over and over again !

I mean the DT is by him before he can get out of his stance......

Wilkerson and Co. ate his lunch before he could pull up to the table !!

As did everyone else this season.

They have to be looking at the film and salivating/drooling all over themselves to get at Konz, Reynolds and Truebleed.

I think that Konz is going to be fine. For those of us old enough, try to remember how bad Todd McClure was. It took the Mud Duck a few seasons to develop into a good blocker. I think that Konz is already ahead of McClure's schedule.

Konz's problem is strictly an inconsistency with technique. He played well as a RG because he did not have to worry about the line calls and he started from a three-point stance. Now, Konz has to make the line calls, concentrate on not tipping the D with changing grips on the ball and finally, he has to learn to position himself after safely snapping the ball. All those things are taking him time.

Konz will be a solid, if not very good center. Give him time.

So its the o-line, ah that explains everything. How can anyone even read this ? I guess the defense has been stellar, coaching excellent and TD has been picking winners by the bushel. I am glad they only have to fix a few players to turn this around, I was worried there.

The article was attempting to explain what has been wrong with the offense, not what's been wrong with the team overall.

It's really the same problem Reynolds has -- leverage. He's really tall for the position.

Call me a lunatic, but while I don't think this is a real fix, I wonder if our line wouldn't be better if it were Holmes - Blaylock - Hawley - Konz - Reynolds. At least the center and RG wouldn't constantly have to squat down just to get under their blocks. Konz is at least a center by trade. I have never, ever, ever, ever understood why Garrett Reynolds plays guard on this team.

I think Reynolds has photos showing Smitty doing the nasty with Freddie the Falcon in the Georgia Dome showers. Just a rumor though.

Konz has been thrown to the turf far too many times this season. It's almost expected that he is going to be flung around like a Chew Toy.

Konz has been among the most disappointing players since he arrived. I wondered why he dropped from a projected first round pick to the third? round. Dude is not starting caliber, wasn't starting caliber last year and won't be starting caliber next year. Ship this guy out and label him as just one more TD draft screw-up.

This is actually a pretty encouraging article on our offensive line. It is hard to imagine this group playing any worse than they have through the first 5 games, so perhaps we can look forward to improved play in the trenches that will outweigh our lacking at the skill positions. One can hope can't he?

It's really the same problem Reynolds has -- leverage. He's really tall for the position.

I have never, ever, ever, ever understood why Garrett Reynolds plays guard on this team.

You and me both, JDave. That fact has exasperated me for the longest time.

Not only is Reynolds not that experienced at the position (He was a tackle in college) he sucks at it, plus he's too tall. If you get under him or lower than him, you can easily get him off his feet.

You and me both, JDave. That fact has exasperated me for the longest time.

Not only is Reynolds not that experienced at the position (He was a tackle in college) he sucks at it, plus he's too tall. If you get under him or lower than him, you can easily get him off his feet.

wouldn't it make more sense to flip him & Mike Johnson and put them back in their natural positions? Johnson was an ALL-American OG after all, and was a road grater for arguably one of the best running teams in a division full of dominant DTs. sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot

But when it was, we STILL didn't really do a good job drafting for it.

To be fair, we went out and got Jerry and Peters, but we really didn't do anything about the DE position.

I think the problem is our scheme would require investment inside, but not in the type of players I consider "inside-out" players, if that makes sense.

Our insistence on this antiquaited "rush 4, penetrating DT" system leaves you undersized all the way back and especially through the middle. Teams have long been grooming guards with focus on taking away the "quick DT" so when you employ that type of player, youre basically just playing into their hands and hamstringing your ability to stuff the run.

Any successful attempt at running this system and succeeding requires hitting a jackpot on a pick. You need a Warren Sapp or an Urlacher/Briggs. If you don't have those guys you end up with a defense like Indy or Jacksonville or Minnesota has had.

The better approach is to do a 3-4 or strange/hybrid 43 like SF where you can turn random pieces into key cogs. Seattle does the same thing. You're even seeing it in Buffalo a bit, albeit with better defensive talent than normal.

Seattle does weird things like send DTs out toward the edge while relying on the linebackers more to move upfield and make plays.

HOPEFULLY, this is where the Tru/Alf combo will pay dividends in the future. Both guys are competent press man corners, with Alford seeming to be the stronger of the two. If you can get two good press man corners, and one rangy versatile LB, you can start to put speciality pieces around that help overall effectiveness. Ideally, we'll be able to hit on a "new style" coverage LB in like the 3rd round next year so we can start to use Spoon in a more aggressive manner.

Very good read; although nothing really new that all of us have not witnessed in shocked disbelief. However, the summation of the entire article is there is absolutely no reason to have any confidence in our current FO or coaching staff to improve this line now or ever. This unit was suitable in 2008 at pass blocking for Ryan, and the run game was great. However, I now have to wonder how much of that credit goes to Michael Turner, who we ran into the ground, Ovie Mughelly, who was a Pro Bowl fullback, Mularkey, who ran this run-oriented offense, Harvey Dahl, who gave the unit that nasty attitude it was noted for, and finally Paul Boudreau who coached the unit.

Since that time we see a steady decline in every aspect with questionable personnel moves behind them all. My home instinct is always in full gear for supporting anyone on our team, or organization. I have defended the FO and coaching staff against a lot of criticism in the past. However, the evidence keeps piling up beyond ignoring it, that the current regime is totally incapable of selecting and developing line talent, and perhaps of even making the right decisions on coaching hires for the lines.

BTW, I try very hard to avoid personal attacks with other posters because it is just not in the spirit of this board, my own personality is just not suited for that type of thing and it is just a waste of energy and time. However I would like to highlight the following statement in the article:

"They knew that Konz had to get stronger after he lifted 225 pounds only 18 times at the combine."

When I voiced my disgust at what I perceive as a lack of work ethic by Konz in the off season to improve his strength, I was attacked personally by a poster who I will not name. Besides a slew of insults and name calling that were uncalled for, this poster told me, among other things, that this measure of strength was meaningless to an offensive lineman. He further went on to certify his expertise in this area because he played lineman at some point, and that I was clueless in this area. I have gone on record many times stating my lack of football knowledge. Yes I did play linebacker WAY back in high school over 40 years ago. But I was a mediocre player at best in a mediocre program. However, it does not take a genius to know that strength IS important to any lineman, including upper body strength.

Technique is obviously more important at the NFL level, but I am still laughing over this poster's attack on me for challenging Konz's strength as a factor in his poor play. Many of you say he will be fine with time and experience in the NFL. I have no doubt of that myself as he does show promise even to my ignorant observations. But to dismiss the bench press as having any indication of a player's ability as an NFL player is laughable in the extreme.

I am awaiting a response from my un-named assailant to this point of contention, as he was so quick to call me a "classless, clueless, ignorant butt-muncher" the other night. I may concede all of these except "butt-muncher." biggrin.png

(just trying to have some fun with this guy who takes life way too seriously)

Edited by FalconFanForLife

wouldn't it make more sense to flip him & Mike Johnson and put them back in their natural positions? Johnson was an ALL-American OG after all, and was a road grater for arguably one of the best running teams in a division full of dominant DTs. sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot

wouldn't hurt to try

We should be talking about this more. Bourdreau was trying to make lemonade out of lemons but those lemons were a bit too sour. Bourdreau was the fall guy for TD not picking up enough quality linemen. Now we have an inferior O-line coach with even more sour lemons.

td and Smitty get blame for that. Smitty hires and fires his coaches

"They knew that Konz had to get stronger after he lifted 225 pounds only 18 times at the combine."

When I voiced my disgust at what I perceive as a lack of work ethic by Konz in the off season to improve his strength, I was attacked personally by a poster who I will not name. Besides a slew of insults and name calling that were uncalled for, this poster told me, among other things, that this measure of strength was meaningless to an offensive lineman. He further went on to certify his expertise in this area because he played lineman at some point, and that I was clueless in this area. I have gone on record many times stating my lack of football knowledge. Yes I did play linebacker WAY back in high school over 40 years ago. But I was a mediocre player at best in a mediocre program. However, it does not take a genius to know that strength IS important to any lineman, including upper body strength.

Technique is obviously more important at the NFL level, but I am still laughing over this poster's attack on me for challenging Konz's strength as a factor in his poor play. Many of you say he will be fine with time and experience in the NFL. I have no doubt of that myself as he does show promise even to my ignorant observations. But to dismiss the bench press as having any indication of a player's ability as an NFL player is laughable in the extreme.

I am awaiting a response from my un-named assailant to this point of contention, as he was so quick to call me a "classless, clueless, ignorant butt-muncher" the other night. I may concede all of these except "butt-muncher." biggrin.png

(just trying to have some fun with this guy who takes life way too seriously)

And that would be me.

Just to be clear, "butt-muncher" was a joke in response to you saying to resume the name-calling.

Show me a blocking stance that would utilize the motions of the bench press. The bench press isolates upper body muscles. Lower body strength is vastly more important than arm/chest strength in offensive line play.

Like I said, I never benched at all. Not at all. I deadlifted and did the clean & jerk. Lifts that required total body strength. I grew up idolizing Vasily Alekseyev

imago01583463m.jpg

(my dad HATED my rooting for a godless commie over Americans), and got a weight bench for my 11th birthday so I could be just like him.

I already linked you an article about Wisconsin linemen typically performing poorly at the bench press, because they do not emphasize it. They do not stress training just to look good at the combine: they train to build real functional strength.

Back to Alekseyev, look at this examination of his training regimen.

Vasily includes a great variety of exercises in his training. “Besides

exercises in the· snatch, jerk, or press, pull and squats, I have used many

other exercises with the barbell and weights. Bends with the barbell on the

shoulders; bends with the barbell on the shoulders while lying on the ‘horse’

bracing one’s hips, with the legs secured; jumps with the barbell on your

shoulders; press on crossbars with weights; bending and unbending the arms in

the elbow joints; squats on one leg; throwing the bar upward and behind; and

other exercises. In addition, in the first year of the time span analyzed,

these exercises consisted of, on the average, 360 lifts in the preparatory

period and 158 lifts during the competition period. In the second year,

correspondingly 841 and 506 lifts, and in the third 880 lifts a month.”

What lift do you not see listed in the repertoire of the strongest man in the world? A 2-time gold-medalist? The first man to clean & jerk 500 pounds? No bench press.

So no: the bench press is not a useful metric for measuring strength.

Unanswered is my observation that Konz was strong enough last year to avoid getting thrown to one side after being stood up. He got pushed backward, but most often kept himself between Ryan and the defender. That requires tremendous balance and lower body strength.