New Plan: Set Expectations At Zero, Enjoy Some Football.

windu

While it's part of Atlanta's fan culture to be bitter, pessimistic and whiny, I'm not playing along.

We thought we had a shot, but the wheels fell off before we could get out of the driveway. Injuries to SJack, Spoon, Julio, Biermann, Dent, Johnson, Baker, Ewing, Dent, Roddy, etc. Definitely some poor game management by coaches and some poor play by players, but we were in games until the last drive with a bunch of backups.

I'm over it, and my expectations are now at ZERO.

As an STH, I'm writing this year off. I'll be at the Dome cheering the good stuff that happens, and stoically accepting the bad. I will enjoy the game day experience, cheer the TDs and sacks, and watch the young guys develop.

I'd like to thank the Univ of Kentucky basketball fans for showing me the way. They came into our Dome last year and watched their team lose to Duke on national TV last Fall. They had the most realistic, positive attitude about their team's prospects for the year (bunch of freshmen), because they are part of a winning tradition and they take the long view. They came in droves all the way from Kentucky for a non-tournament game, pretty much expecting to lose. They did lose, and they had a blast anyway.

See you at the Dome. I'll be the guy smiling.cool.png

While it's part of Atlanta's fan culture to be bitter, pessimistic and whiny, I'm not playing along.

We thought we had a shot, but the wheels fell off before we could get out of the driveway. Injuries to SJack, Spoon, Julio, Biermann, Dent, Johnson, Baker, Ewing, Dent, Roddy, etc. Definitely some poor game management by coaches and some poor play by players, but we were in games until the last drive with a bunch of backups.

As an STH, I'm writing this year off. I'll be at the Dome cheering the good stuff that happens, and stoically accepting the bad. I will enjoy the game day experience, cheer the TDs and sacks, and watch the young guys develop.

I'd like to thank the Univ of Kentucky basketball fans for showing me the way. They came into our Dome last year and watched their team lose to Duke on national TV last Fall. They had the most realistic, positive attitude about their team's prospects for the year (bunch of freshmen), because they are part of a winning tradition and they take the long view. They came in droves all the way from Kentucky for a non-tournament game, pretty much expecting to lose. They did lose, and they had a blast anyway.

Love it. Perspective, something you clearly have. I love football and my Falcons. I certainly don't like it when they lose, but it doesn't affect my day one single bit. Life is too short and good.

Go Falcons

Thanks for this post. It is spot on. I've been sulking and ticked off all week, but in the end -- the wheels are gone, they not only fell off -- they were stolen. In the end, people are complaining about depth -- I say that we've had some depth, just not developed because we've had starters in front of them the past couple/few years -- so no one really had snaps. This year, virtually all key starters have gotten hurt. Yes, does Smith's and the other coaches calls tick me off -- but by no means do you fire Smith. Also, I like Nolan and Hill. I'm not too keen on Koetter, but he's who we currently got.

Let's pray other key players don't get hurt and we get some wins.

Go Falcons! Keep being competitive. Besides the Patriots game (which we came back on), we've been competitive -- so keep it up and some of the calls and plays will hopefully go their way.

Good post. Pretty much where I am.

I will watch and cheer like I always have. I still hope for to win as many games as possible. I will cheer and scream at the good and bad. I refuse to watch and say oh man this is only happening because of injuries ect ect I will always be a Falcon even though it has aged me pretty bad lol.

I am STH also I will be out there smiling with ya.

Nice post!!! I'm feeling about the same way right now. I think we win some more games, but probably not enough to get us into the Playoffs. So I guess we have to trust the "powers that be" to get us some help during the off-season. Hopefully, all our guys will be healthy next year, and along with some "key" additions, we can quietly make another Super Bowl run, without all the hype and expectations that were put on us, this year...

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!!!!!

Edited by FalconJim

I'm an expert at seasons like this. Forget playoffs and championships. Take the attitude that each game is an opportunity for success. If you win, you won it all. If you lose, you only have to wait 6 days to tee it up again.

I've watched this team beat the 49ers on Christmas Eve in an empty GA Dome at the end of a miserable season. It made my year. Circle our games against the #1 seed contenders (Saints, Hawks, 9ers, Packers, etc.). A victory against any one of them = total success.

Yes, you have to lower your expectations. If you don't the frustration will kill you. Relax and have some fun.

At the end of the day, I do expect championships. I'll never be truly content until we win one. That said, it can't be this year. Why throw all your happy pills in that bucket?

I'm out of +1's but I will say. It took all of this crap for us to finally have some enjoyable football conversations. Actually talking football and not "elite" nonsense. It was way too soon, but I think now we may be heading in the right direction this season with developing players and in the off season.

Ryan is Elite!

I'm out of +1's but I will say. It took all of this crap for us to finally have some enjoyable football conversations. Actually talking football and not "elite" nonsense. It was way too soon, but I think now we may be heading in the right direction this season with developing players and in the off season.

We're the "Greatest Show on Turf pt.2" right?