Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ice5303

Hindsight, But 2013 Draft Looks Terrible

28 posts in this topic

Truant.... I understand the need, but not trading away our 3rd....which could have been used for the lines or LB

Alford...he might be a good pick in the future, but for a win now team, again. Another CB? instead of line or LB

Toilolo I agree with

This is what I don't get the most???... Our last 3 picks we draft 2 safeties and a QB when we already had 3 young pro bowlers at all 3 positions.

Again.... Line line line, or LB, heck even a young WR,

Didn't make sense the day after the draft...makes less sense now

Pro Bowls mean nothing now. I hope one of the young safeties can get a chance to compete for Decoud's spot as a starter.

Can't get no worse than him at FS this season. Willy Mo also has problems of his own that he needs to fix.

Also, who is teaching the defensive players on how to take angles when in pursuit of the ball carrier? That is embarrassing how horrible they are at taking angles.

1/38.

That is the percentage of TDs draft picks that are undeniable hits and can also stay healthy.

The list starts and stops at Ryan. Pathetic.

See, this is where the problem comes from.....confused expectations.

Posters get pissed off about the lack of investment and the poor depth planning. So TD basically invests heavily in a secondary that has been a weakness. He also puts two more picks into the DL. But it wasnt "win now!!!!!"

We have ZERO depth at QB, so we grab a guy with what amounts to a reserve check on an UDFA and its seen as a wasted pick...despite the fact that Renfree is a perfect project QB.

Frankly, this draft is going to be a fantastic asset moving forward.

This really wasnt an "impact 1st year starter" draft....it was a depth/rotation guy draft with the exception of the secondary. And the back to back CB picks were the result of excessive value being on the board. I doubt they intended to go CB CB, but when Alford was there well after where TD thought he'd go, he grabbed him. Given that its a 3CB league now....I think the pick was nice.

The problem is, where are we going to get a pass rush? Because Nolan sure as **** hasnt felt like scheming it much.

kiwifalcon and AtlantaFanatic like this

still think it's the 2nd best draft class by TD

Ok, so maybe you're right 3 years from now...but for a team that went all in for a final push with TG and Sjax, drafting 4 secondary players and a QB makes no sense, Considering our line issues, and CB is one of the toughest positions to play as a rookie

Posters get pissed off about the lack of investment and the poor depth planning. So TD basically invests heavily in a secondary that has been a weakness. He also puts two more picks into the DL. But it wasnt "win now!!!!!"

We have ZERO depth at QB, so we grab a guy with what amounts to a reserve check on an UDFA and its seen as a wasted pick...despite the fact that Renfree is a perfect project QB.

This really wasnt an "impact 1st year starter" draft....it was a depth/rotation guy draft with the exception of the secondary. And the back to back CB picks were the result of excessive value being on the board. I doubt they intended to go CB CB, but when Alford was there well after where TD thought he'd go, he grabbed him. Given that its a 3CB league now....I think the pick was nice.

The problem is, where are we going to get a pass rush? Because Nolan sure as **** hasnt felt like scheming it much.

I enjoy reading smart posts like this

I thought D. Davis was a project QB? We need 2?

Ok, so maybe you're right 3 years from now...but for a team that went all in for a final push with TG and Sjax, drafting 4 secondary players and a QB makes no sense, Considering our line issues, and CB is one of the toughest positions to play as a rookie

Almost as though he was thinking of sustained success....

I thought D. Davis was a project QB? We need 2?

You should really be drafting late round QBs every year or two. The risk/reward when you "hit" on one is fantastic.

A 7th round pick generally isnt a contributor...but the bounty QBs can bring back in the trade market is more than worth taking a flyer on a guy.

I dont think anyone outside of this board really takes Dom Davis seriously...

People need to understand what they're doing with the defense based on their decisions at CB and Nolan's history. They started moving away from the zone CBs like Grimes in favor of CBs who are better in man coverage, like Trufant and Alford. Such a move is needed when you're planning on shifting into a more aggressive scheme up front because you need your corners to be left on an island and take care of business on their own instead of sitting in zones and expecting back up. The problem, obviously is they don't have the players needed up front to pull that off yet. They need an NT and they need good LB play which they are obviously lacking in.

Judging by the CBs in this upcoming draft class it was for the better since they're not worth their snuff compared to the most recent draft class.

vel and kiwifalcon like this

Guess who is 31st in the league in TD passes allowed,

You can't reasonably expect rookie CBs to cover for 7+ seconds. And, again, the LBs can't cover TEs. They did a good job of that with Spoon and Biermann but they're both gone now so they're back to getting slapped around in the middle.

You can't reasonably expect rookie CBs to cover for 7+ seconds. And, again, the LBs can't cover TEs. They did a good job of that with Spoon and Biermann but they're both gone now so they're back to getting slapped around in the middle.

Exactly why the focus should have been on Dline

And...the last 2 games, smith has admitted we played to soft of a zone, I don't think anyone is on the same page, Nolan likes a 3-4 smith likes a 4-3, Nolan likes aggressive, smith likes bend but don't break, what's TD to do?

As much as I want to blame the players I'm blaming the piss poor coaching, end of the day the best coaches get the best out of their players, good coaches make average players good and so on. We can't even score 30 points and we can't stop a rookie QB from looking like a 5 year pro bowl vet.

Exactly why the focus should have been on Dline

And...the last 2 games, smith has admitted we played to soft of a zone, I don't think anyone is on the same page, Nolan likes a 3-4 smith likes a 4-3, Nolan likes aggressive, smith likes bend but don't break, what's TD to do?

And pick up who? Werner? He's falling flat on his face in in Indy. Floyd? He's made a minimal impact with Minnesota. Williams can't even break into the starting lineup in Denver. The defensive trench players in the last draft left something to be desired while the CB class was extremely good. Why take lesser talent?

Doesn't have the pieces To create a pass rush more an elite pass rusher have to rookie LB and two rookie CB's doesn't help

We have too many injuries dude..Trufant is a beast so is Alford..they are rookies so give them time to develop..Person I see getting beat most of the time on field is McClain

People need to understand what they're doing with the defense based on their decisions at CB and Nolan's history. They started moving away from the zone CBs like Grimes in favor of CBs who are better in man coverage, like Trufant and Alford. Such a move is needed when you're planning on shifting into a more aggressive scheme up front because you need your corners to be left on an island and take care of business on their own instead of sitting in zones and expecting back up. The problem, obviously is they don't have the players needed up front to pull that off yet. They need an NT and they need good LB play which they are obviously lacking in.

Judging by the CBs in this upcoming draft class it was for the better since they're not worth their snuff compared to the most recent draft class.

Would have loved to have seen Ogletree up n here about now but hindsights a biatch.

Agree with the above though Psychic you wanna spread that round the rest of this MB and alot of others may to.

Biermann and Mclure's losses through injury and retirement are huge about now.

You can't expect to fix every problem in one draft. Before the season, pretty much everyone agreed that CB was our number one need considering we lost Grimes and Robinson, who were technically our 2 starting corners. Picking a corner in the first round is no guarantee that that player will pan out. Taking another in the second is good insurance, and hopefully one of them will turn into a good player. We are lucky that both of them are looking promising so far.

Would have loved to have seen Ogletree up n here about now but hindsights a biatch.

Agree with the above though Psychic you wanna spread that round the rest of this MB and alot of others may to.

Biermann and Mclure's losses through injury and retirement are huge about now.

The 2013 draft was good for building the foundations of a new secondary. The 2014 draft is looking very good in terms of building up a front seven. The growing pains are terrible but it is what it is, especially when you heap injury after injury on it.

vel likes this

Investing in the secondary was reactive, not proactive. The DBs get torched due to a lack of pass rush. What's the solution? Get better CBs ain't it.

The 2nd sentence is plainly false. The 2013 draft was full of defensive talent.

Such as?