Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

1,120 posts in this topic

Graham definitely has the tools to be an ace. He could develop into the stereotypical power pitching ace that everyone drools over. Minor as well. I still think Tehran can be a number 1 as well. He needs to work a lot more on his off speed stuff.

Well Lucas Sims is ready to move up he just finished his season at single A with

12-4 / 2.26 era/ 134k / 46BB / 116 innings

According to Peter Gammons LaStella is drawing comparisons to Matt Carpenter

I still think the competition is between him, Uggla, and Pastornicky. I don't count him out winning the job. Uggla competes in spring unless Wren can unload him to someone and we don't have to pay his ENTIRE salary. Pena is valuable as utility guy.

I still think the competition is between him, Uggla, and Pastornicky. I don't count him out winning the job. Uggla competes in spring unless Wren can unload him to someone and we don't have to pay his ENTIRE salary. Pena is valuable as utility guy.

Wren needs to admit the Uggla trade is one of the 3 worst trades in Braves history and either release/Trade or start him back at A-Ball.

La Stella needs to start at 2nd next season.

According to Peter Gammons LaStella is drawing comparisons to Matt Carpenter

Now that's what i'm talking about, Carpenter is really good

Wren needs to admit the Uggla trade is one of the 3 worst trades in Braves history and either release/Trade or start him back at A-Ball.

Dan Uggla for just Omar Infante and Mike Dunn was a great trade. Just because it hasn't worked out the way we expected it to doesn't mean it was a bad trade.

I think if LaStella wins the job he should start irregardless of what Uggla is paid.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

I can name 5 off the top of my head that were way way worse. Too much hyperbole to even consider taking you seriously.

Falconsfan567 likes this

I can name 5 off the top of my head that were way way worse. Too much hyperbole to even consider taking you seriously.

Yep. The top two being the J.D. Drew and Mark Teixeira trades.

Len Barker for Brook Jacoby & Brett Butler

That was before my time but I know the story on that. Skip Caray talked about that for many, many years when the Braves would play the Dodgers when Butler was playing for the Dodgers. The Braves traded one of the best leadoff hitters in MLB history for a guy with a bum shoulder.

The Teixiera trade hurt pretty bad considering that we gave up Harrison, Andrus, and Perez. The latter 2 the most painful to give up. Granted we have Simmons and Kimbrel now, but at the time, that really hurt. I really thought Teixiera was the missing piece.

The Teixiera trade hurt pretty bad considering that we gave up Harrison, Andrus, and Perez. The latter 2 the most painful to give up. Granted we have Simmons and Kimbrel now, but at the time, that really hurt. I really thought Teixiera was the missing piece.

Another reason the Teixiera trade was so bad was because the Braves had plenty of offense in 2007 but the pitching behind Hudson and Smoltz was beyond terrible that year. Chuck James, Kyle Davies, Jo-Jo Reyes, Jorge Campillo, Buddy Carlyle, ect. But JS decided that instead of ponying up to pay the price to get an arm he went after another bat in hopes of outscoring everyone. It was a very flawed approach to building a team and went against everything that he and Bobby Cox stood for. Add in the cost and it was easily the worst trade he ever made as GM of the Braves and one of the worst trades in Braves franchise history. The Uggla for Infante and Dunn trade, despite what Culain may think, doesn't hold a candle to the Teixiera trade.

Maverick likes this

Another reason the Teixiera trade was so bad was because the Braves had plenty of offense in 2007 but the pitching behind Hudson and Smoltz was beyond terrible that year. Chuck James, Kyle Davies, Jo-Jo Reyes, Jorge Campillo, Buddy Carlyle, ect. But JS decided that instead of ponying up to pay the price to get an arm he went after another bat in hopes of outscoring everyone. It was a very flawed approach to building a team and went against everything that he and Bobby Cox stood for. Add in the cost and it was easily the worst trade he ever made as GM of the Braves and one of the worst trades in Braves franchise history. The Uggla for Infante and Dunn trade, despite what Culain may think, doesn't hold a candle to the Teixiera trade.

Agreed. Our pitching was beyond subpar that year and that set us back at least three more years. Also, I'm with you on the Uggla trade. To only give up Infante and Dunn is a win.

Harrison, Andrus, Perez, and Saltalamacia for Teixiera was bad. But none of those guys would likely be with the club today; it mostly represents the opportunity cost of not having them to spend in other ways.

Teixiera for Kotchman and Marek was far worse. The Braves would likely have been better off with the compensating draft picks they would have received when Teixiera left.

Feliz is possibly another potenial ace the Braves traded. He has to prove he can stay healthy as a SP but he has the stuff for it

That's the guy I was thinking of. I don't know why I said Perez. He was so good as a closer, but you're right, he can be a starter if he stays healthy.

Harrison, Andrus, Perez, and Saltalamacia for Teixiera was bad. But none of those guys would likely be with the club today; it mostly represents the opportunity cost of not having them to spend in other ways.

Teixiera for Kotchman and Marek was far worse. The Braves would likely have been better off with the compensating draft picks they would have received when Teixiera left.

I.e. Derek Lowe

With what we know now, you're absolutely right. Back then, it set the Braves back a few years. Remember this is 2007. Minor, Simmons, Kimbrel, Bethancourt, and Gattis are not in the system yet so this was a huge loss in the eyes of everyone but Schurholz. The players we sent to Texas helped take them to two straight World Series. In that timespan, it took the Braves six years to even win a division.

I'm with you on the second Teixiera trade. I felt the Braves had a lot of leverage and didn't make the best of it.

Not sure what leverage the Braves had. No one was going to give up anything for Teixeira.

Yeah they didn't have any. But still the Kotchman and Marek return was pathetic. Would have been better off just taking the comp pick.

Not sure what leverage the Braves had. No one was going to give up anything for Teixeira.

True, since he was going to be a free agent at the end of the year. No team in their right mind would make that trade unless it was the Yankees. But Kotchman and a couple of other players in return was just underwhelming. I still think we could have gotten better pieces for Teixiera even if he was going to be a rental. I'm not saying big names, but maybe good prospects or a Tier B player. Or the hindsight answer and let Teixiera sink with the ship and get the compensation draft pick.