Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

1,120 posts in this topic

Just curious how mad everyone would be if it were Phillips for LeStella and Uggla?

I'd be infuriated. It's the worst possible trade the Braves can do. Plus, it bails out the Reds for doing a worse contract than the Braves.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Mark Bowman speculating Roger McDowell might become a target of a team looking for a manager at some point but isn't a candidate anywhere at this time this year. However there's been rumors the Phillies might make a run at McDowell to lure him away as Sandberg's pitching coach.

La Stella isn't going anywhere hypothetical or not. He's the future at 2B any move now would just be a stop gap

Well I don't consider trading for a guy with 4 years left on his deal as a stop gap move. Especially when La Stella could be good enough to be in the majors in 2014. I just don't understand the rumors behind this. It in no way makes any sense for the here and now and for the future. It would be a complete disaster. I think the best move would be to just dump Uggla and then sign someone like Kelly Johnson or Omar Infante and hand the job to La Stella. If it turns out that La Stella isn't quite ready then you've got Johnson or Infante who's a proven veteran player to turn to. That makes so much sense, at least to me. But it probably won't happen because it makes too much sense for it to happen and Frank Wren and the Braves never do what I think is the smartest thing.

Well I don't consider trading for a guy with 4 years left on his deal as a stop gap move. Especially when La Stella could be good enough to be in the majors in 2014. I just don't understand the rumors behind this. It in no way makes any sense for the here and now and for the future. It would be a complete disaster. I think the best move would be to just dump Uggla and then sign someone like Kelly Johnson or Omar Infante and hand the job to La Stella. If it turns out that La Stella isn't quite ready then you've got Johnson or Infante who's a proven veteran player to turn to. That makes so much sense, at least to me. But it probably won't happen because it makes too much sense for it to happen and Frank Wren and the Braves never do what I think is the smartest thing.

please sweet baby Jesus let us sign Infante and drop Uggla. Would love that. Drop Janish too
Falconsfan567 likes this

I'd be infuriated. It's the worst possible trade the Braves can do. Plus, it bails out the Reds for doing a worse contract than the Braves.

dead on. If they can't move Uggla in any way, I would just keep him and let him compete foe the starting job. Id invite LaStella to spring training along with Pastornicky. And u still have Pena. Best man wins.

JR Graham who missed just about all the season with a shoulder injury is said to be doing well during his rehab in Orlando where he'll stay another few weeks and he is expected to be 100% for Spring 2014

Doubtful if his bat continues to play at higher levels.

Any reason for this? I'm surprised to see this conclusion about a guy who's only 19.

Any reason for this? I'm surprised to see this conclusion about a guy who's only 19.

If his bat plays, I'm sure he will be moved to another position to make his path to the majors much easier. Despite how bad Simmons hit for the majority of the season, it's good enough to keep his HOF-level defense in Atlanta for awhile.

I really like this kid. Good hitting tool, good eye, and very fast. I don't know if he'll stick at SS.

I would love to see the braves actually develop a player that doesn't strike out 100 times a season, get on base, and steal

I would love to see the braves actually develop a player that doesn't strike out 100 times a season, get on base, and steal

I would love to see the Braves develop an ace starting pitcher

Alex Wood and Mike Minor.

So you believe both of those pitchers can become ace's?

I really liked the way Hale looked in his 2 starts

So you believe both of those pitchers can become ace's?

I really liked the way Hale looked in his 2 starts

In Mike Minor's last 48 starts (counting the playoffs) he's been awesome and only going to keep getting better. We saw what he did in the playoffs against the Dodgers when the Braves needed him to come through.

48 GS - 304 2/3 IP, 248 H, 58 2B, 4 3B, 30 HR, 104 R, 97 ER, 65 BB, 259 SO - 2.87 ERA

That's a pretty darn good line and a huge sample size. Sure'd you like to see him get a few more strikeouts but you don't have to be a strikeout pitcher to be an ace, especially if so great control as Minor has done. The Braves were 28-20 in those 48 starts by Minor. Not a great team record but can't blame Minor for that. Also Minor did his job of eating up innings. He averaged 6 1/3 IP in those starts and only 5 of those starts did he go less than 6 and one of those was a rain-shortened start. No complete games or shutouts but that's more a reflection of Fredi Gonzalez than Minor not pitching good enough to get complete games or shutouts.

Alex Wood's success speaks for it's self. He had 77 strikeouts in 77 2/3 IP. Averaging a strikeout per inning is pretty **** good no matter how you slice it.

Culain_04 likes this