Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

1,120 posts in this topic

Im not sure Wren is willing to pay the price Tampa would rightly demand for Price. We've learned by now Wren doesnt like to trade top prospects

Im not sure Wren is willing to pay the price Tampa would rightly demand for Price. We've learned by now Wren doesnt like to trade top prospects

true. But Price is a bona fide stud. Those prospects are just that. Now if we couldn't resign him than I wouldn't do it

Well Wren said he wants a short term solution. He believes the Braves have ace type SP in the system that will be ready in the near future.

Graham I'm assuming?

Well Wren said he wants a short term solution. He believes the Braves have ace type SP in the system that will be ready in the near future.

ok I got you. Well if he wants that I'm sure we won't get Price.

I would love it if we got David Price. Wouldn't mind Phillips either. I think both are possibilities

If Phillips didn't have unreal contract it wouldn't be so bad. But it would be worse than Uggla.

If Phillips didn't have unreal contract it wouldn't be so bad. But it would be worse than Uggla.

least he will hit unlike Uggla. But I figured cincy will have to eat part of his remaining salary to dump him.

so having a BA almost 100 points higher isn't a lot better? I would take Phillips over Uggla all day

You know batting average isn't everything and not one of last stats you want to use in evaluating a player's offensive value? OPS+ is a great stat for evaluating a player's offensive value. 100 is average.

Brandon Phillips

2003 - 48 in 393 PA

2006 - 88 in 587 PA

2007 - 105 in 702 PA

2008 - 94 in 609 PA

2009 - 103 in 644 PA

2010 - 102 in 687 PA

2011 - 118 in 675 PA

2012 - 99 in 623 PA

2013 - 92 in 666 PA

32 years old with 4 years and $50M left on his deal.

Dan Uggla

2006 - 112 in 683 PA

2007 - 108 in 728 PA

2008 - 126 in 619 PA

2009 - 111 in 668 PA

2010 - 131 in 674 PA

2011 - 98 in 630 PA

2012 - 83 in 537 PA

33 years old with 2 years and $26M left on his deal.

Both are terrible hitters, Phillips is still a great fielder and both have horrible contracts. It would be smarter for the Braves to just stick with Uggla than to take on Phillips contract.

I understand your point about BA. But at the end of the day baseball is about producing. Uggla isn't and I doubt he ever will here. Cincy will have to eat a portion of Phillips contract if they really want to trade him. unless a team offers another bad contract in return like Ugglas. I have seen Phillips come up in huge moments. Phillips could come here and perform awesome. The contract is the only reason I wouldn't want him. But I would be happy to have him. What was Ugglas OPS+ for 2013 cause you left that out

I understand your point about BA. But at the end of the day baseball is about producing. Uggla isn't and I doubt he ever will here. Cincy will have to eat a portion of Phillips contract if they really want to trade him. unless a team offers another bad contract in return like Ugglas. I have seen Phillips come up in huge moments. Phillips could come here and perform awesome. The contract is the only reason I wouldn't want him. But I would be happy to have him. What was Ugglas OPS+ for 2013 cause you left that out

I didn't leave it out. I accidently skipped a year. Those last two numbers were for 2012 and 2013.

2011 - 107

2012 - 99

2013 - 83

I don't want Brandon Phillips because the last thing the Braves need is another guy that strikes out way more than he walks which Phillips does. I also don't want to be strapped down with that contract until 2017 because the Braves pretty soon (hopefully this off-season) have to start paying for guys like Freddie Freeman and Jason Heyward and if you trade for a Brandon Phillips you're going to put yourself in an even bigget money crunch than you already are. The rewards you would get from Phillips wouldn't justify sacrificing some of the long-term future. It's all about costs and returns and the returns you would get with a Brandon Phillips doesn't justify the rewards you would get. If Frank Wren does this trade I would have to seriously question his knowledge of how to build a long-term winner. The Derek Lowe, Dan Uggla and B.J. Upton moves were all win now moves that that came with seriously long-term consequences and we had to pay for them with Lowe and Uggla. I don't want another such situation with Phillips in a year or two. Just dump Uggla and give the 2nd base job to Tommy La Stella. He seriously has nothing left to prove in the minors.

I'd rather deal with Uggla for 2 more years than pick up Phillips for 4. I think we're all in agreement that any of us would pull the trigger on that deal if Phillips' contract was more financial friendly, but the amount of money is absurd. I think we're better off going with La Stella. He's tearing up the Arizona Fall League right now. Defense needs to be worked on, but if Gattis can come up without going to AAA, then La Stella can too. That's if he does well in ST.

Falconsfan567 likes this

A trade of Uggla for Phillips is just a trade of a terrible contract for a horrible contract. We would be better off with a Pena/Pastornicky platoon.

I didn't leave it out. I accidently skipped a year. Those last two numbers were for 2012 and 2013.

2011 - 107

2012 - 99

2013 - 83

I don't want Brandon Phillips because the last thing the Braves need is another guy that strikes out way more than he walks which Phillips does. I also don't want to be strapped down with that contract until 2017 because the Braves pretty soon (hopefully this off-season) have to start paying for guys like Freddie Freeman and Jason Heyward and if you trade for a Brandon Phillips you're going to put yourself in an even bigget money crunch than you already are. The rewards you would get from Phillips wouldn't justify sacrificing some of the long-term future. It's all about costs and returns and the returns you would get with a Brandon Phillips doesn't justify the rewards you would get. If Frank Wren does this trade I would have to seriously question his knowledge of how to build a long-term winner. The Derek Lowe, Dan Uggla and B.J. Upton moves were all win now moves that that came with seriously long-term consequences and we had to pay for them with Lowe and Uggla. I don't want another such situation with Phillips in a year or two. Just dump Uggla and give the 2nd base job to Tommy La Stella. He seriously has nothing left to prove in the minors.

no problem with anything you said. You make valid points about Phillips. But again if Cincy would eat some of that contract we could make it work. Don't know if they will. Don't know anything about La Stella. But I don't see them giving the 2nd basemen job to a rookie and keeping Uggla. We are stuck

no problem with anything you said. You make valid points about Phillips. But again if Cincy would eat some of that contract we could make it work. Don't know if they will. Don't know anything about La Stella. But I don't see them giving the 2nd basemen job to a rookie and keeping Uggla. We are stuck

For me it's more about the length of Phillips deal than the money. If it were 2 years for 2 years then I would do it. But it's trading 2 years for 4.

Just curious how mad everyone would be if it were Phillips for LeStella and Uggla?

I would come completely unglued. I don't think Frank Wren is dumb enough to put the Braves long-term future in major jeopardy by doing something that stupid.