Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

1,120 posts in this topic

From Twitter:

Atlanta Braves@Braves

The Braves have named 3B coach Brian Snitker as the new manager of the Gwinnett Braves, Atlanta’s Triple-A affiliate.

Atlanta Braves@Braves

Roving outfield/baserunning instructor Doug Dascenzo has been named as Atlanta’s third-base coach for 2014.

From Twitter:

Atlanta Braves@Braves

The Braves have named 3B coach Brian Snitker as the new manager of the Gwinnett Braves, Atlanta’s Triple-A affiliate.

Atlanta Braves@Braves

Roving outfield/baserunning instructor Doug Dascenzo has been named as Atlanta’s third-base coach for 2014.

WOOHOO!!!! Snitker was an awful third base coach.

CrimsonFalcon likes this

Mark Bowman reported Wren has provided "strong indication" he wants to sign Tim Hudson. Wren also said JR Graham who battled injuries all year is throwing in Orlando and is almost game ready.

Wren also said theu believe they have ace types in the minors but he said they recognize its an area of need and may seek a #1 SP to bridge the gap while the young SPs develop

He wouldnt specify areas of need but he said the free agent market is thin where the Braves are looking. So you have to imagine we'll be looking more at trade rumors than signing rumors.

Wren also said theu believe they have ace types in the minors but he said they recognize its an area of need and may seek a #1 SP to bridge the gap while the young SPs develop

He wouldnt specify areas of need but he said the free agent market is thin where the Braves are looking. So you have to imagine we'll be looking more at trade rumors than signing rumors.

Braves have the pieces to go after David Price if they want him. The Rays are likely going to want players who can contribute now (like Medlan and/or Gattis).

David O'Brien@ajcbraves3h

#Braves Wren: "When we go into these (org.) meetings (we say) 'Let's not block our young guys.'"

#Braves Wren on payroll entering offseason and given team's needs and arb players: "We're in good shape."

#Braves Wren on Uggla: "We need him to perform better, plain and simple. Hopefully for Dan's sake and our sake, he can make adjustments."

Asked about La Stella, #Braves Wren said a "small handful" of young players who'll come to camp with chance to win spots, maybe in lineup.

David O'Brien@ajcbraves

3h

#Braves Wren on whether Gattis showed he can be every-day catcher: "I think so. I think we saw that from spring training."

New 3B coach Doug Dascenzo was the OF/Baserunning roving instructor. He spent 13 years in the San Diego system but has only been in the Braves for 2 years. Wren made it pretty clear they wanted someone who could teach baserunning and OF defense. He said the Braves didn't really have a coach that covered those 2 area's prior to this move.

Also if you're curious now ex-Gwinnett manager Randy Ready was fired after the season due to what Wren called "philosophical differences". He noted that Snitker lives about 2 minutes from Coolray Field and has been working in the Braves organization as a coach for 17 years.

Braves have the pieces to go after David Price if they want him. The Rays are likely going to want players who can contribute now (like Medlan and/or Gattis).

would love to have Price in ATL

It wouldn't make any sense for the Braves to trade Gattis when there are still many question marks surrounding if Bethancourt will ever hit enough to be a starting catcher in the majors. The Rays probably wouldn't want Medlen because Medlen is a FA after 2016. They would want someone who is under team control for a longer period of time like a David Hale or Sean Gilmartin. I would gladly trade either or both in a package to get David Price.

When you look at the FA market for a top of the rotation guy there isn't many out there with ace stuff. James Shields could be but he has an option year with the Royals. Garza will be on the market but he doesn't really qualify as the "ace" of a team.

When you look at the FA market for a top of the rotation guy there isn't many out there with ace stuff. James Shields could be but he has an option year with the Royals. Garza will be on the market but he doesn't really qualify as the "ace" of a team.

Yep. David Price is by far the best pitcher that will be available and he will cost a lot.

I could deal with Price.

And I wouldn't be shocked to see LaStella playing by midseason. I never really thought Gattis would make the team and didn't expect Wood up si early so u never know.

Peavy was a possibility, but Greinke is your pipe dream. laugh.png Seriously, his contract is ridiculous, and the Dodgers will regret it in the long run.

Here's an article that does a nice job showing where the TV money goes. http://www.awfulanno...tv-dollars.html

The main problem for the Braves is not only the low dollar amount of the contract, it's the length -- they are only into year 7 of a 20-year deal. All of the other teams will cash in with expanded deals before the Braves will.

The Braves did get some relief when the Peachtree TV deal expired this past off-season and they were able to get those 40-some games moved to FSS. Those games were negotiated independently of the 20-year deal, and the team got much more per-game for that package. But it's only a temporary fix.

Is there any chance, any possible way, the Braves can end that deal early and get a new one? A buyout of any kind?

Is there any chance, any possible way, the Braves can end that deal early and get a new one? A buyout of any kind?

I don't know, but if there was I'm sure they would have exercised it or we would have heard about it.

I remember I used to absolutely dread seeing the Marlins pop up on the schedule. From 1993-2009 the Braves went 149-117 (.560) against them. But that included 3 good years, 1995 (10-3), 1999 (9-4), and 2004 (14-5). Take those 3 years out and it's just 116-105 (.525). That's why I used to hate seeing the Marlins show up. But the Braves have turned that ship around in a huge way. In the last 4 years the Braves have gone an incredible 50-23 (.685) against the fish.

Barely would save any money. Phillips is due to make $11M in 14, $12M in 15, $13M in 16 and $14M in 17. Those aren't option years either so at the end of the day you're paying more and longer. The fact Wren and company would even look at this seriously tells you how much they want Uggla gone.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Barely would save any money. Phillips is due to make $11M in 14, $12M in 15, $13M in 16 and $14M in 17. Those aren't option years either so at the end of the day you're paying more and longer. The fact Wren and company would even look at this seriously tells you how much they want Uggla gone.

Exactly. It's just not worth it especially when we have Tommy La Stella waiting for a chance.