Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

1,120 posts in this topic

One thing nobody's really talked about is the bench. We have to get a stronger bench with Reed hurt most of the season and after Ramiro going down there was little to turn to. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Schafer because he never really could find himself again after that injury.

Fredi said if McCann leaves (we all know he will) we may see the team carry 3 catchers again. Laird and Bethancourt with Gattis playing LF some again.

He also said Hale will compete in Spring to be either a SP or RP.

Fredi also said he has no regrets for not putting Kimbrel in sooner during Game 4.

Liberty Media has informed the Front Office they have no plans to sell the team and are pleased with the direction of the organization.

Ramiro Pena is hoping to be healthy enough to play winter ball.

David O'Brien@ajcbraves1h

#Braves Fredi G on if he thinks Uggla will be back: "I don't know. I know every year we make a lot of tweaks on the club to get better."

I hate Liberty Media

Jimsmusic™ and Falconsfan567 like this

Long as Liberty Media owns our team we are stuck. We are too good to be in position to draft a dominant pitcher like Kershaw or Verlander. But we don't have the money to go get either one. Just hope one of our guys turn into a dominant ace pitcher

another thing is there should be a salary cap in baseball like football and the nba, show big market teams cant just hog all the talent and make it harder for smaller teams to compete.

Culain_04 likes this

another thing is there should be a salary cap in baseball like football and the nba, show big market teams cant just hog all the talent and make it harder for smaller teams to compete.

I'm hoping that one comes in a few years now that Selig has made his retirement official.

Liberty Media is not the problem. The TV deals signed by Time Warner prior to the sale is the problem.

Liberty Media treats this team like a line item on a Balance Sheet. Nothing more.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Liberty Media treats this team like a line item on a Balance Sheet. Nothing more.

Yep.

As long as the line on the balance sheet only has to equal "zero" -- and all indications are that is the case -- I don't think it's a problem.

Active ownership is a mixed bag. There's nothing wrong with the Braves needing to live within their means, and they have the budget to build a winner if they make good decisions.

As long as the line on the balance sheet only has to equal "zero" -- and all indications are that is the case -- I don't think it's a problem.

Active ownership is a mixed bag. There's nothing wrong with the Braves needing to live within their means, and they have the budget to build a winner if they make good decisions.

The Braves can't realistically contend for the World Series on a living on a $90-95M payroll every year. When's the last time a team with a low payroll won the World Series? The 2003 Marlins. Every team since has had an inflated payroll because baseball has changed. It's **** near impossible to do what the Marlins did in 2003. Heck even what the Rays did in 2008 just making it to the World Series. That's as close as they have gotten. You saw the huge difference in talent level in the series which was a direct reflection of the payroll. Imagine if the Braves had been able to trade for a Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez and assume their massive contracts and give out a massive deal to land a Zack Greinke all in 1 year? Imagine if the Rays had been able to pull off a trade for a Jake Peavy like the Red Sox were? Don't you think those series would have turned out different? What about when the Braves young players become too expensive to keep and we have to start selling them off and rebuild again like the Rays are forced to do every couple of a years. The Rays will be forced to trade David Price this off season and in a couple of years the Braves will probably be forced to trade Mike Minor.

We are gonna eat almost all if Uggla's money and we ain't finding a replacement for the couple million we would save. Give him the offseason to get right and roll the dice. Maybe he can hit .220 and 20 homers and bridge the gap till LaStella.

OK it's just **** sad that were hoping someone hits .220 w/ 20 homers to earn 15 million dollars. If Lastella is even remotely ready defense wise bring his arse up let the kid learn on the job, and trade Uggla for a bag of Cheetos which is more than he is worth.

OK it's just **** sad that were hoping someone hits .220 w/ 20 homers to earn 15 million dollars. If Lastella is even remotely ready defense wise bring his arse up let the kid learn on the job, and trade Uggla for a bag of Cheetos which is more than he is worth.

I couldn't agree with this more. But probably won't happen. Braves probably won't let LaStella see the majors until 2015. Why? I don't know because he has nothing else to prove in the minors. I would love to see them kick Uggla to the curb and hand the job to LaStella and sign someone like a Kelly Johnson or Omar Infante as insurance.

The Braves can't realistically contend for the World Series on a living on a $90-95M payroll every year. When's the last time a team with a low payroll won the World Series? The 2003 Marlins. Every team since has had an inflated payroll because baseball has changed. It's **** near impossible to do what the Marlins did in 2003. Heck even what the Rays did in 2008 just making it to the World Series. That's as close as they have gotten. You saw the huge difference in talent level in the series which was a direct reflection of the payroll. Imagine if the Braves had been able to trade for a Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez and assume their massive contracts and give out a massive deal to land a Zack Greinke all in 1 year? Imagine if the Rays had been able to pull off a trade for a Jake Peavy like the Red Sox were? Don't you think those series would have turned out different? What about when the Braves young players become too expensive to keep and we have to start selling them off and rebuild again like the Rays are forced to do every couple of a years. The Rays will be forced to trade David Price this off season and in a couple of years the Braves will probably be forced to trade Mike Minor.

Again, the problem is with the TV deal. Nobody in today's economic enviornment is going to buy a sports team and proceed to bleed money away, and to think otherwise is, if you will allow me to borrow the expression, a pipe dream.

The Braves have done a nice job doing more with less. They have a team right now that should World Series contenders for at least the next two seasons. And it wasn't the payroll that was keeping the Braves from pulling a trade for Peavy and the like -- it was the front office didn't want to part with the players it would have taken to make the trade. Maybe the front office is overvaluing our prospects (I for one would have liked to have seen that trade), but the team played under budget all season, and that was a decsion by the front office not Liberty Media.

As for the Dodgers, there's nothing about them I would want to emulate. Their team as a whole is maybe as good as the Braves. Their best player is Kershaw, and he was homegrown.

We have a winner, I 100% agree with this

Again, the problem is with the TV deal. Nobody in today's economic enviornment is going to buy a sports team and proceed to bleed money away, and to think otherwise is, if you will allow me to borrow the expression, a pipe dream.

The Braves have done a nice job doing more with less. They have a team right now that should World Series contenders for at least the next two seasons. And it wasn't the payroll that was keeping the Braves from pulling a trade for Peavy and the like -- it was the front office didn't want to part with the players it would have taken to make the trade. Maybe the front office is overvaluing our prospects (I for one would have liked to have seen that trade), but the team played under budget all season, and that was a decsion by the front office not Liberty Media.

As for the Dodgers, there's nothing about them I would want to emulate. Their team as a whole is maybe as good as the Braves. Their best player is Kershaw, and he was homegrown.

I never said the TV deal wasn't an issue. Speaking of which I sure would like to know the details of that deal and if there was any way for the Braves to get out of it and renegotiate. The Braves might have won the series had they had a Jake Peavy or Zack Greinke.

I never said the TV deal wasn't an issue. Speaking of which I sure would like to know the details of that deal and if there was any way for the Braves to get out of it and renegotiate. The Braves might have won the series had they had a Jake Peavy or Zack Greinke.

Peavy was a possibility, but Greinke is your pipe dream. laugh.png Seriously, his contract is ridiculous, and the Dodgers will regret it in the long run.

Here's an article that does a nice job showing where the TV money goes. http://www.awfulanno...tv-dollars.html

The main problem for the Braves is not only the low dollar amount of the contract, it's the length -- they are only into year 7 of a 20-year deal. All of the other teams will cash in with expanded deals before the Braves will.

The Braves did get some relief when the Peachtree TV deal expired this past off-season and they were able to get those 40-some games moved to FSS. Those games were negotiated independently of the 20-year deal, and the team got much more per-game for that package. But it's only a temporary fix.