Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2014 Atlanta Braves Off-Season Thread

1,120 posts in this topic

FREE AGENTS

P Luis Ayala

P Scott Downs

P Freddy Garcia

P Tim Hudson

P Kameron Loe

P Paul Maholm

P Eric O'Flaherty

C Brian McCann

OF Reed Johnson - $1.6M club option with a $150K buyout

PRE-ARBITRATION

P David Carpenter - ARB 2015 - FA 2018

P Mike Minor - ARB 2015 - FA 2018

P Luis Avilan - ARB 2015 - FA 2018

OF Jose Constanza - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

C Evan Gattis - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

P Cory Gearrin - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

INF Tyler Pastornicky - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

SS Andrelton Simmons - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

P Julio Teheran - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

P Anthony Varvaro - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

P Alex Wood - ARB 2016 - FA 2019

C Christian Bethancourt - ARB 2017 - FA 2020

OF Todd Cunningham - ARB 2017 - FA 2020

2B Phil Gosselin - ARB 2017 - FA 2020

P David Hale - ARB 2017 - FA 2020

1B/OF Joey Terdoslavich - ARB 2017 - FA 2020

ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE

UT Blake DeWitt - FA 2016

OF Jason Heyward - FA 2016

INF Paul Janish - FA 2016

P Kris Medlen - FA 2016

P Jonny Venters - FA 2016

P Brandon Beachy - FA 2017

1B Freddie Freeman - FA 2017

3B Chris Johnson - FA 2017

UT Elliot Johnson - FA 2017

P Craig Kimbrel - FA 2017

P Cristhian Martinez - FA 2017

INF Ramiro Pena - FA 2017

OF Jordan Schafer - FA 2017

P Jordan Walden - FA 2017

SIGNED DEALS

C Gerald Laird - $1.5M 2014 - FA 2015

2B Dan Uggla - $13M 2014 - $13M 2015 - FA 2016

OF Justin Upton - $14.25M 2014 - $14.5M 2015 - FA 2016

OF B.J. Upton - $13.45M 2014 - $14.45M 2015 - $15.45M 2016 - $16.45M 2017 - FA 2018

We need to see how much of Uggla's contract we can pawn off on another team (probably not much) but otherwise I feel pretty positive about this team going forward. Coming off an injury, surely it shouldn't be too hard to re-sign EOF. I'm assuming B-Mac's gone. Love ya dude best of luck.

So what's the bigger priority, 2B or another starting pitcher? Something else?

I don't expect McCann to be back but it would be good to bring Hudson back on a 1 year deal as the 4th SP. Wood and Beach can share the 5th spot.

We need to see how much of Uggla's contract we can pawn off on another team (probably not much) but otherwise I feel pretty positive about this team going forward. Coming off an injury, surely it shouldn't be too hard to re-sign EOC. I'm assuming B-Mac's gone. Love ya dude best of luck.

I'm thinking that McCann, Maholm, Garcia, Loe are all locks to be gone. I think Huddy is back for the right price. I don't know what kind of market EOF will have with him coming off Tommy John surgery. Hopefully the Braves will be able to keep him. Ayala and Downs might get minor league deals with invites to spring training. I'm not sure what they do with Reed Johnson.

The Braves have so many arbitration guys that it wouldn't shock me to see them make a big trade and deal one of them, maybe Medlen.

The Braves team is pretty much set. There will be very few changes because quite frankly there's no reason to make a lot of changes.

I think the Braves try to move Uggla some where, but don't have much luck. If we get rid of him we will be stuck paying a ton of money. I think if we have to pay 10 million of his salary, we should just keep him and get 20 HR out of him even though he stinks. Ugh....terrible.

I really really really want the Braves to resign McCann. That means there is probably zero chance they resign him.

I think they resign Hudson if he comes down on price a decent amount.

.........man, I don't know how this team is going to adjust and fill out in Spring.

I think the Braves try to move Uggla some where, but don't have much luck. If we get rid of him we will be stuck paying a ton of money. I think if we have to pay 10 million of his salary, we should just keep him and get 20 HR out of him even though he stinks. Ugh....terrible.

I really really really want the Braves to resign McCann. That means there is probably zero chance they resign him.

I think they resign Hudson if he comes down on price a decent amount.

.........man, I don't know how this team is going to adjust and fill out in Spring.

I think the Braves should do whatever it takes to dumb Uggla regardless of cost. Then trade some of that pitching depth for a good 2nd baseman. Someone like Ian Kinsler. Kinsler is locked up through the 2018 season and the Rangers have talked about moving him in the past to open up 2B for Jurickson Profar. Kinsler would had some much needed contact to the lineup. He has never struck out more than 90 times in a season. Here's how Kinsler's contract breaks down.

2014 - $16M

2015 - $16M

2016 - $14M

2017 - $11M

2018 - $12M - $12M team option with a $5M buyout.

I'm sure Wren will make a qualifying offer to McCann that he will reject, thus ending his Brave career. I don't know if Hudson is eligible for a qualifying offer or not, but I wouldn't give him one even if he is. I love Huddy but I think it's time to cut ties with him and get a little younger.

I think Matt Garza would be a good replacement for Huddy. A move back to the NL might be good for him. Plus he is not eligible for a qualifying offer. I would take him if the price is right. Or what if J-Upton is traded for a front-line starting pitcher? Then we may have a Schafer/Cunningham platoon in LF. It also might take a lot of pressure off BJ if his brother is no longer around.

I have no idea what Wren does about 2B. Uggla has got to go. A platoon of Pena and Pastornicky would be fine with me. Or one year of Brian Roberts would be OK until LaStella is ready.

Uggla is owed a ton more money but we did see Wren eat money to get rid of Lowe so its realistic to think he'll try but it'll be hard to convince a team to take a guy who just had the worst season for a 2B in history

We are gonna eat almost all if Uggla's money and we ain't finding a replacement for the couple million we would save. Give him the offseason to get right and roll the dice. Maybe he can hit .220 and 20 homers and bridge the gap till LaStella.

MLB 2014 Free Agent list

First Basemen

Lance Berkman *

Jason Giambi

Travis Hafner

Todd Helton

Eric Hinske

Paul Konerko

Casey Kotchman

Adam Lind *

James Loney

Kendrys Morales

Justin Morneau

Mike Morse

Mike Napoli

Lyle Overbay

Carlos Pena

Mark Reynolds

Juan Rivera

Kevin Youkilis

Second Basemen

Robinson Cano

Alexi Casilla

Mark Ellis *

Mike Fontenot

Omar Infante

Kelly Johnson

Nick Punto

Ryan Raburn

Brian Roberts

Ramon Santiago

Skip Schumaker

Chase Utley

Ben Zobrist *

Shortstops

Alfredo Amezaga

Clint Barmes

Willie Bloomquist

Jamey Carroll *

Alexi Casilla *

Stephen Drew

Yunel Escobar *

Rafael Furcal

Alex Gonzalez

Cesar Izturis

Derek Jeter *

John McDonald

Jhonny Peralta

Brendan Ryan

Third Basemen

Wilson Betemit *

Eric Chavez

Mark DeRosa

Mike Fontenot

Jerry Hairston Jr.

Brandon Inge

Placido Polanco

Mark Reynolds

Juan Uribe

Kevin Youkilis

Michael Young

Catchers

Rod Barajas

Henry Blanco

John Buck

Jesus Flores

Ramon Hernandez

Gerald Laird

Brian McCann

Jose Molina

Dioner Navarro

Wil Nieves

Miguel Olivo

Ronny Paulino

Brayan Pena

A.J. Pierzynski

Humberto Quintero

Carlos Ruiz

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

Kelly Shoppach

Chris Snyder

Geovany Soto

Kurt Suzuki *

Yorvit Torrealba

Outfielders

Alfredo Amezaga

Rick Ankiel

Norichika Aoki *

Jeff Baker

Jason Bay

Carlos Beltran

Shin-Soo Choo

Coco Crisp *

Nelson Cruz

Rajai Davis

David DeJesus

Mark DeRosa

Matt Diaz

Jacoby Ellsbury

Jeff Francoeur

Curtis Granderson

Franklin Gutierrez

Tony Gwynn Jr.

Corey Hart

Raul Ibanez

Reed Johnson *

Austin Kearns

Jason Kubel *

Nate McLouth

Nyjer Morgan

Mike Morse

David Murphy

Xavier Nady

Laynce Nix

Hunter Pence

Juan Rivera

Luke Scott

Ryan Sweeney

Andres Torres

Chris Young *

Delmon Young

Starting Pitchers

Bronson Arroyo

Scott Baker

Erik Bedard

Nick Blackburn *

A.J. Burnett

Chris Capuano *

Chris Carpenter

Bruce Chen

Bartolo Colon

Aaron Cook

Jorge De La Rosa

Scott Feldman

Gavin Floyd

Jeff Francis

Armando Galarraga

Jon Garland

Matt Garza

Roy Halladay *

Jason Hammel

Aaron Harang *

Rich Harden

Dan Haren

Roberto Hernandez

Tim Hudson

Phil Hughes

Ubaldo Jimenez *

Josh Johnson

Jeff Karstens

Hiroki Kuroda

John Lannan

Jon Lester *

Colby Lewis

Ted Lilly

Tim Lincecum

Derek Lowe

Paul Maholm

Shaun Marcum

Jason Marquis

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Brett Myers *

Ricky Nolasco

Mike Pelfrey

Andy Pettitte

Wandy Rodriguez *

Jonathan Sanchez

Ervin Santana

Johan Santana *

Joe Saunders *

James Shields *

Tim Stauffer

Jason Vargas

Ryan Vogelsong *

Edinson Volquez

Tsuyoshi Wada *

Chien-Ming Wang

Chris Young

Barry Zito

Relief Pitchers

David Aardsma

Jeremy Accardo

Manny Acosta

Matt Albers

Scott Atchison

Luis Ayala

Grant Balfour

Matt Belisle *

Joaquin Benoit

Rafael Betancourt *

Bill Bray

Craig Breslow

Tim Byrdak

Shawn Camp

Matt Capps

Joba Chamberlain

Jose Contreras

Manny Corpas

Jesse Crain

Joey Devine

Octavio Dotel

Scott Downs

Chad Durbin *

Kyle Farnsworth

Pedro Feliciano

Frank Francisco

Jason Frasor

Chad Gaudin

Mike Gonzalez

Kevin Gregg

Matt Guerrier

Joel Hanrahan

LaTroy Hawkins

Clay Hensley

Rich Hill

J.P. Howell

Casey Janssen *

Jesse Litsch

Matt Lindstrom *

Kameron Loe

Boone Logan

Javier Lopez

Mark Lowe

Brandon Lyon

Ryan Madson

Carlos Marmol

Nick Masset

Kyle McClellan

Peter Moylan

Edward Mujica

Joe Nathan *

Pat Neshek

Eric O’Flaherty

Will Ohman

Hideki Okajima

Darren Oliver

Juan Carlos Oviedo

Vicente Padilla

Manny Parra

Oliver Perez

Rafael Perez

Chad Qualls

Jon Rauch

Mariano Rivera

Fernando Rodney

J.C. Romero

George Sherrill

Joe Smith

Matt Thornton *

Koji Uehara

Jose Veras *

Jamey Wright

Woudn't it be nice if we could ditch Uggla and use some of the saved money to bring back Infante. Still going to be next to impossible to move Uggla

We need to see how much of Uggla's contract we can pawn off on another team (probably not much) but otherwise I feel pretty positive about this team going forward. Coming off an injury, surely it shouldn't be too hard to re-sign EOF. I'm assuming B-Mac's gone. Love ya dude best of luck.

As much as I would like a pure top of rotation pitcher I think the best thing the Braves could do this off season is start securing the future by signing some key players that are/or soon will be in arbitration years such Simmons, Freeman, Heyward, Kimbrel and C Johnson. I know they can not sign them all this off season but I would like to spread the signings over the next 1- 3 years. I know this is not the way the braves have done it in the past but with the limited budget now, I think it would be prudent. We may need to stick with the starters we have (possible trade one of them). We may have to go cheaper at catcher with Laird and Gattis (eventually Bethancourt), eventually cheaper at 2B--loss Uggla and stick with E Johnson and the Rev (eventually LaStella).I think if we do not start now signing key players mentioned above then it will get to the point where we will have to choose only to keep 2 or maybe 3 of them. We may also have to trade a starter. Just my humble opinion...

I have to agree I wouldn't hold my breath over signing an ace. Wren and the team have made it clear they want Minor, Teheran, Medlen and Wood to all develop together. Personally I believe after watching Game 2 that Minor is the ace of this staff. He's really growing and he really showed what he's capable of in that game.

AF89 likes this

It would not be wise to throw top dollar at a David Price or Matt Garza. Braves need to continue to develop their own pitching like they have done and then sign them and keep them in house. I agree we need to start locking up some of these arb guys or soon to be arb guys like we did with Brian McCann.

I have to agree I wouldn't hold my breath over signing an ace. Wren and the team have made it clear they want Minor, Teheran, Medlen and Wood to all develop together. Personally I believe after watching Game 2 that Minor is the ace of this staff. He's really growing and he really showed what he's capable of in that game.

Minor had big game experience to feed off of. He commanded it really well. I hope Julio's start gets him the experience he needs so next season he won't get rattled. Maybe Beachy is a top of the rotation guy after he comes back too.

Don't we have a good 2B coming up through the minors? Are we assuming that BJ takes over CF, Justin LF, Heyward RF again next year and hope BJ gets it worked out? Or do we try to get a LF?

We'll assume BJ gets back on track with all the money invested and it being only year 2. We have a young 2B Tommy La Stella coming through the system but he may not be ready for Opening Day. He is playing in the fall league and had 323 ABs in Double-A this year (.343/.422/.473) so even if he isnt on the Opening Day roster he'll be real close to ready early in the year.

Don't we have a good 2B coming up through the minors? Are we assuming that BJ takes over CF, Justin LF, Heyward RF again next year and hope BJ gets it worked out? Or do we try to get a LF?

We have to assume BJ gets back to being BJ next year with the amount of money he's old and that he's looked up through 2017. You don't just forget how to hit overnight at age 28.

Yeah the Braves have Tommy LaStella. My only concern with him has been some nagging injuries. Dude can flat out rake when he's on the field. I had totally forgotten about him when I made that post about Ian Kinsler. Braves wouldn't be able to afford Kinsler anyway. They won't even be able to afford to keep McCann.

Here's a 25-man roster using guys just under contract (salaries with an asterick are estimated arbitration settlements):

C Evan Gattis $500,000

C Gerald Laird $1,500,000

1B Freddie Freeman $3,650,000*

2B Dan Uggla $13,200,000

3B Chris Johnson $3,750,000*

SS Andrelton Simmons $500,000

IF Ramiro Pena $900,000*

IF Elliot Johnson $900,000*

OF Justin Upton $14,250,000

OF B.J. Upton $14,050,000

OF Jason Heyward $4,500,000*

OF Jordan Schafer $900,000*

OF Reed Johnson $1,600,000

OF Joey Terdoslavich $490,000

SP Kris Medlen $3,500,000*5

SP Mike Minor $2,500,000*

SP Julio Teheran $500,000

SP Brandon Beachy, $1,000,000*

SP Alex Wood, $500,000

RP Craig Kimbrel $2,000,000*

RP Jonny Venters $1,625,000*

RP Jordan Walden $1,000,000*

RP Luis Avilian $500,000

RP Anthony Varvaro $500,000

RP David Hale $500,000

Payroll: $74,815,000

If my arbitration estimates are close to accurate, the Braves are around $20 million under their theoretical budget. While I hate to see him go, I don't think the Braves would or should spend big money to bring back McCann; Gattis and Laird can mind the catcher position until Bethancourt is ready or washes out.

I stil say that one player that could be available out in the trade market would solve several of the Braves line-up and defensive problems: Chase Headley. After a somewhat down .250/.347/.400 season and just a season removed from free agency, his trade price may be lower that it ever will be. He would be a huge defensive upgrade at 3B, and he could slot into out lead-off position, enabling Heyward, JUpton, Freeman, and Gattis to all slide back down one spot. His power should play better outside of Petco Park as well. I would trade Chris Johnson (his trade value will never be higher) and two lower-minor league middle-grade prospects for him.

If they are willing to negotiate, the Braves should make it a priority to sign Freeman and Heyward to long-term deals.

Dan Uggla should focus this off-season on learning 3B, LF, and RF because his days as an everyday 2B is over. Increased positional flexibility would at least give him some value. I doubt that any team would be willing to trade for Uggla, but obviously the Braves should listen to anything, even if it means paying up to 2/3 of remaining salary. Pena, Johnson, and Pastornicky can compete for the starting 2B job.

We really have no idea what the deal is with Jonny Venters. Obviously if he can't be ready to start the season, the Braves should non-tender him and use the resulting savings on re-signing Eric O'Flaherty or another left-handed relief free agent.

We need to do something about our hitting coaches. Alot of players come here and their BA drops like 20-50 points.

Something at the core needs to be changed with hitting.

We need to do something about our hitting coaches. Alot of players come here and their BA drops like 20-50 points.

Something at the core needs to be changed with hitting.

If that were true across the board (like it was with Larry Parrish), then I'd be with you. But that's not been the case with Walker and Fletcher.

Chris Johnson had a career year, and he attributed it to Greg Walker. Justin Upton's numbers were around his career average. Dan Uggla's fall is likely due to loss of skills. Jordan Schafer, Ramiro Pena, and Elliot Johnson all performed higher under Walker/Fletcher than in other organizations.

The big mystery is B.J. Upton of course. But that's 1 versus 5. The Braves finished fourth in the NL in runs scored per game, third in OPS. The problem isn't the hitting coaches.

If that were true across the board (like it was with Larry Parrish), then I'd be with you. But that's not been the case with Walker and Fletcher.

Chris Johnson had a career year, and he attributed it to Greg Walker. Justin Upton's numbers were around his career average. Dan Uggla's fall is likely due to loss of skills. Jordan Schafer, Ramiro Pena, and Elliot Johnson all performed higher under Walker/Fletcher than in other organizations.

The big mystery is B.J. Upton of course. But that's 1 versus 5. The Braves finished fourth in the NL in runs scored per game, third in OPS. The problem isn't the hitting coaches.

BJ Upton's problem is BJ Upton. His swing has 25 moving parts and his head drifts because of his open stance causing a breaking pitch to effectively move as far as his head moves. Walker and crew have "quieted" his swing down some but there's still to much going on the be a consistent major league hitter. He's going to have to scrap what he's been doing if he ever wants to get on track.

Fredi said if McCann leaves (we all know he will) we may see the team carry 3 catchers again. Laird and Bethancourt with Gattis playing LF some again.

He also said Hale will compete in Spring to be either a SP or RP.

Fredi also said he has no regrets for not putting Kimbrel in sooner during Game 4.

Liberty Media has informed the Front Office they have no plans to sell the team and are pleased with the direction of the organization.

Ramiro Pena is hoping to be healthy enough to play winter ball.

David O'Brien@ajcbraves1h

#Braves Fredi G on if he thinks Uggla will be back: "I don't know. I know every year we make a lot of tweaks on the club to get better."