Is This One Of The Worst Offensive Lines In The Nfl?

Am I just too close to the situation or are these guys really one of the worst groups in the NFL?

Reynolds, are there adjectives out there bad enough to describe this guy? I saw him just get shoved out the way numerous times last night. If that happened to me my manhood would be in question.

Trueblood, a certified stiff that the Bucs just discarded. On the Ryan fumble he was beat to bad he was just standing there looking as Ryan got clobbered.

Konz, seems like he has a very hard time holding his own. How is he worse at center than at guard when center was his natural position?

Blalock, he just seems to be there. Not really good enough to run behind as he doesn't move anyone at all bit at least he doesn't just get manhandled like Reynolds when pass blocking. He is serviceable.

Holmes, was the original whipping boy but with the emergence of Trueblood seems to be not as bad. I don't know if that means he has improved or Trueblood is just that awful. May be serviceable on the right side.

Baker, aka the Sack Maker. Somehow the moment our LT went out injured that side of the line saw less pressure. This guy has to go. The fact that Holmes is now outperforming him and nobody considers Holmes a solution at LT lets you know how awful this guy is. He was bad when healthy and now he has a bad back!

Is there another group that is worse than this? I have Sunday Ticket and since the Falcons have a bye I want to see the worst to see how we stack up.

Edited by the_sheff

It is statistically nigh-impossible for every single offensive lineman, starters and back-ups, to suck. We know Blalock has, or had, talent and ability. However, Blalock either forgot how to play as soon as Pat Hill was hired, or Pat Hill is the problem.

I'm going with Pat Hill is the problem.

The schemes are uniformly bad. The interior gives up too much ground. The line in general plays with poor fundamentals. That is a coaching error.

I'm not going to say that we have superstar talent on this line. Reynolds just doesn't seem to have it. Blalock is a bigger liability than Reynolds, but has proven in the past to be capable of play at a high level, and he is not old. Konz and Holmes DO have talent: more talent than is currently on display.

I would say the first fix to our offensive line is a new, better offensive line coach. It is almost impossible for everyone to actually be as bad as our guys appear to be.

It is statistically nigh-impossible for every single offensive lineman, starters and back-ups, to suck. We know Blalock has, or had, talent and ability. However, Blalock either forgot how to play as soon as Pat Hill was hired, or Pat Hill is the problem.

The schemes are uniformly bad. The interior gives up too much ground. The line in general plays with poor fundamentals. That is a coaching error.

I'm not going to say that we have superstar talent on this line. Reynolds just doesn't seem to have it. Blalock is a bigger liability than Reynolds, but has proven in the past to be capable of play at a high level, and he is not old. Konz and Holmes DO have talent: more talent than is currently on display.

I would say the first fix to our offensive line is a new, better offensive line coach. It is almost impossible for everyone to actually be as bad as our guys appear to be.

I must agree ..

I don't know why people are so high on Pat Hill. Something must be wrong with his coaching, since no one seems to get the job done on O-line. Matt Ryan was able to make plays despite of our O-line .. not because of it. If Ryan wasn't such a great QB, how bad would they look then?.

I don't know if getting rid of Pat Hill would solve anything, but I wouldn't complain if the Falcons choose to try a new O-line coach.

I must agree ..

I don't know why people are so high on Pat Hill. Something must be wrong with his coaching, since no one seems to get the job done on O-line. Matt Ryan was able to make plays despite of our O-line .. not because of it. If Ryan wasn't such a great QB, how bad would they look then?.

I don't know if getting rid of Pat Hill would solve anything, but I wouldn't complain if the Falcons choose to try a new O-line coach.

You were one of the harshest, most shrill Capt. Sunshine posters when I was posting about our line's weaknesses and how bad our offensive line was in the off season. Now you want to act like you know something?

You were one of the harshest, most shrill Capt. Sunshine posters when I was posting about our line's weaknesses and how bad our offensive line was in the off season. Now you want to act like you know something?

What did I say back then?

I just didn't want to throw anyone under the bus at a time, where we hadn't seen them on the field.

Are you able to see into the future? .. I think not!.

But right now it looks like you were right. I just wanted to give the players the chance to go on the field and prove that they are NFL caliber players. Sadly they haven't shown that and something has to be done to fix that.

Next thing, you'll be telling me that you predicted all the injuries on the team, right?.

And to make it perfectly clear .. You were right .. My trust in the O-line was misplaced. I have no problem admitting that, but that shouldn't keep me from having an opinion, right?.

The O-line needs to be fixed .. Defense needs to be fixed .. Special teams needs to play better.

Didn't we try that already?

I did predict the injury to Mike Johnson, because he gets a sprained eyelash and goes on I/R when night falls on him.

I did predict that Sam Baker would puss out now that he has a big contract.

I saw Garrett Reynolds play in the past: no future-sight needed.

I did predict that if we did not improve our OG play, that the entire offense would struggle.

I did say that Larry Warford would provide a greater positive impact than Alford.

I did say that Holmes would be a poor fit at RT, and would be a better LT than Baker.

I did say that we needed a viable veteran C behind Konz in case he didn't make the leap upward needed to dominate.

For the record, I do believe that both Konz and Holmes would likely flourish and succeed under a better line coach: the talent is there.

And my Warford/Alford position has nothing to do with Alford's talent; but a DB only sees the ball and has an opportunity to make an impact so many times a game, whereas an OG makes a difference on every single offensive snap.