Ol Or Dl? Which Is More Valuable?which Is An Easier Fix?

In my eyes, the Front Office has put together this "juggernaut" offense in hopes of masking our defensive flaws. They figure if we can outscore our opponents, then we can make a stronger push in the playoffs. Given their acquisitions over the years, you would have to assume that OL is more valuable. We have Pro Bowl caliber players at every single skill position on offense with the exception of our OL. Our OL has been patch work at best since really the departure of Harvey Dahl and Todd McClure.

Defensively, everyone SHOULD know that even a competent D-Line that is able to get some sort of pressure, can make average corners look great. If you can generate a pass rush with 4/5 guys, you significantly decrease the amount of windows the QB has to throw to. If you are getting a push with just those same 4/5 guys, then you know you can bring the extra body or two and stuff a run. At this point in time, our DL will be tougher to fix simply because we have so much money invested in our offense. My hopes are that once the season ends, and Tony G's contract comes off our books, we use that money to go after a stronger defense. Our corners are just fine and will only get better from here. Our focus needs to be on LB and most importantly DL.

Just for you guys saying we need a DT even two

Coery Peters is having a pro bowl type year the guys on pace for nearly 70 tackles and 5 sacks I'd say he's a solid starter with some upside if he actually played with someone dominate.

The way I see it is the DL is missing a guy to draw all the attention and still be productive then guys like Babs and Osi we see much more one on one match ups.

Plus a LB who can rush and drop in coverage would be just what nolan needs

It would be the kid out of UCLA Anthony Barr and a DT who can create pressure in the 2nd the kid from ND is a talented kid but is having a down year.

I think the OL could be fixed with some vets a RG and a RT then Holmes becomes a swing man as well as Reynolds and we already have Hawley as a backup center.

u say anthony barr i say kyle van noy is just the type of game changing defender we need. We need a jj watt type defender on this defense and van noy can be that guy at LB, send nich packing. With van noy, spoon will be able to run the play calls and take the leadership role with out having to take on the role of being the only playmaker. And if spoon commands too much money we may need a LB anyway.

I was all wrong before pre-season

I actually felt the O-line would be good

I was also OK with the DEs. But I felt they needed HELP at DT

Big fan of Babs and Peters but they just were not getting the push up the midddle during pass rushes.

Still think biggest need is at DT

I think Osi, Mass, Matthews, Goodman, Maponga are good at DE even with Bierman gone

They just need more HELP from the interior

Also loss of Spoon has hurt the front 7 a lot. .--also Bierman here

O-line-- loss of M Johnson and now Baker's recurring problems have hurt much more than I expected.

RESULT--it's not going to be an easy fix for D front 7---- or O-line

OL needs to be the focus. The DL has significant issues, but this team is built to be led by the Offense, not the Defense.

i have noted before that this team is like the Colts in Manning's years. Yesterday's Broncos are another example - the Denver D isn't great by any stretch, they are good enough because their Offense scores as much as it needs to. It's not necessarily the blueprint i would choose to build a team on, but it's clearly the blueprint Dmitroff has used - trading up to get Julio, bringing back Gonzo, etc. This team is founded on the assumption that it's Offense will be the best unit. Right now, the OL is the weak link, and it's causing the Offense to sputter.

1) This is exactly the kind of bargain-basement thinking that has us in this predicament in the first place.

2) Holmes is a better starting LT than Sackmaker Baker. At least Holmes hasn't quit on the team because he got a big payday.

3) Reynolds and Hawley are horrible. Yes, they are versatile: they suck equally badly at any position you put them in.

Agreed. My worry about Holmes as a starter is his conditioning. Also in the mix is the glaring need for a pass rush.

> One OG. Doesn't really matter which side. They both need replacing.

> One DT WHO CAN BRING HEAT UP THE MIDDLE

> One quick/fast edge rusher

> One fast LB who plays 'with his hair on fire'

> One safety to push or replace DeCoud

Other than FA'S, that's about all we could hope to add in one year, but those selections are spread out over our immediate needs.

Well you guys have good arguments on both sides. For me, I just want upgrades on either line myself. Our lines suck period IMHO, We get no consistent pass rush from the DL. The OL can't run block at all, and the pass blocking completely breaks down consistently.

All I want for Xmas this year is some GOOD LINEMEN on either side of the line. Forget this skill player fixation for just one year please Mr. Dimitroff and get us some decent lines. This team is never going to challenge in the playoffs without significantly upgrading both lines.

Wow what a great thread.. seeing so many different opinions on the weakest points of our team (OL/DL)..

But while I really like to see good defensive performances, I think Oline is more important for the exact same reason kaptain krazy stated.

... and while OL/DL are our most pressing needs, I still feel like a TE will be selected in the first round of the draft. everyone on the Oline is either decent, won't be replaced by TD due to contractual obligations or the FO/coaching staff just likes the guy too much to replace him. And when I say "likes", I mean it's a guy they invested in and don't want to replace him so easily.

and I also wouldn't be surprised if we brought back every single DT on our roster whose contract is gonna be up.

.. but then again, I hope I'm wrong.

Holmes, Blalock, Konz isnt a bad left side of the line.

Were really a RG and RT away from having a good line. Id like to sign a RG this offseason and maybe bring back Svitek as well? Didnt he sign a 1 year deal?

Then we could go DT, LB/FS, OT in the draft

The defensive line improves the defense in general, including the secondary. Depending upon the scheme employed, a very good or better defensive line can either disrupt the offense by stuffing the run, collapsing the pocket, and applying pressure from the edges, or can occupy enough blockers to allow linebackers to make disruptive plays. QB pressure obviously benefits the secondary.

The offensive line improves every single facet of the team. A very good or better offensive line can provide a reliable ground game. It can more often provide a clean pocket for the QB to operate from. Receivers can run deeper routes. The QB can make more reads. The QB is less likely to get injured if hit less. Furthermore, by making drives more reliably sustainable, the offense scores more points, and stays on the field longer. This benefits the defense by keeping them fresher, and by giving them the opportunity to play against offenses in catch-up mode more often. this limits to varying degrees what the opposing offense can or will do.

The only way to build a long-term success, championship caliber team is to get your long-term answer at QB. After that is done, or if the long-term answer at QB is not available, build the offensive line first. Then the defensive front 7.

Building around receivers and defensive backs is foolish, short-sighted, splashy and flashy but not the road championships are paved with.

The defensive line improves the defense in general, including the secondary. Depending upon the scheme employed, a very good or better defensive line can either disrupt the offense by stuffing the run, collapsing the pocket, and applying pressure from the edges, or can occupy enough blockers to allow linebackers to make disruptive plays. QB pressure obviously benefits the secondary.

The offensive line improves every single facet of the team. A very good or better offensive line can provide a reliable ground game. It can more often provide a clean pocket for the QB to operate from. Receivers can run deeper routes. The QB can make more reads. The QB is less likely to get injured if hit less. Furthermore, by making drives more reliably sustainable, the offense scores more points, and stays on the field longer. This benefits the defense by keeping them fresher, and by giving them the opportunity to play against offenses in catch-up mode more often. this limits to varying degrees what the opposing offense can or will do.

The only way to build a long-term success, championship caliber team is to get your long-term answer at QB. After that is done, or if the long-term answer at QB is not available, build the offensive line first. Then the defensive front 7.

Building around receivers and defensive backs is foolish, short-sighted, splashy and flashy but not the road championships are paved with.

I don't think they're building around the defensive backs with the defense. That unit is getting retooled and the best players available that fit what they wanted were CBs last draft. Judging by what they excel in and what looks they have given the front seven my guess is they're going into a 3-4 with man coverage at the edges, though with enough flexibility to run a 4-3 at times. Due to that they need to get an NT (Peters is currently in that role but is best suited at 3 and 5-tech) and either an ILB and/or an edge rusher, depending on who steps up for either position.

group of sidbury's at DE. all have the "talent" but can't do nothing.

johnson was garbage before being injured.

DE's I just think the reason they "can't do anything" is lack of help in the interior (DTs)

No push up the middle allows the QB to have more time/room to step up. It also creates a natural seam between the upfield DEs and the DT stuck at the LOS

Johnson was not great but I was thinking the Oline as an entire group was adequate.

losing Johnson did disrupt the cohesion of the group

Also expected more from Holmes than I have seen so far. __ I believed all the off season hype.

Reynolds?Johnson never been a fan of Xtraining as was done with these 2.

My Heart DR said he trained for years as a Brain surgeon but the Hospital Xtrained him to a Heart Dr. just last week

Doesn't sound incourging but the Falcons X trained Reynolds/Johnson in about 1 season and everybody accepts that as OK.