Saints Sign Top Return Man And Wr From Cfl Williams

Big A

NEW ORLEANS -- It didn't take Chris Williams long to land in the NFL.

The wide receiver, who negotiated his release from the CFL's Hamilton Tiger Cats this week, has signed a contract with the New Orleans Saints, his agent said Thursday.

Dan Vertlieb, Williams' Vancouver-based agent, told The Canadian Press that Williams is headed to New Orleans.

On Wednesday, Williams and the Ticats reached an agreement to allow CFL's top special-teams player last year to pursue opportunities in the NFL.

Contract details weren't immediately available, but the 25-year-old Williams stands to make much more than the $48,000 base salary he was scheduled to earn this season in Hamilton.

The NFL's 2013 minimum salary is $405,000.

Under terms of the deal with Hamilton, should Williams return to the CFL either this season or next, it must be with the Ticats. However, given that Williams received multiple NFL offers moments after being free to entertain them, it's doubtful he'll be back in Canada anytime soon.

Neither the Ticats nor the CFL commented on the deal with the Saints on Thursday.

Williams, a native of Fort Worth, Texas, went to arbitration to be released from the final year of his deal with Hamilton to pursue NFL offers. In June, arbitrator E.E. Palmer ruled the Ticats violated the CFL's collective bargaining agreement with the CFL Players' Association by negotiating with an unregistered agent.

However, Palmer said the penalty for that was a fine, not the termination of the contract. The Ticats weren't fined because the CFLPA didn't ask that one be imposed.

Williams signed a deal with Hamilton in 2011 that was negotiated by an agent not registered with the CFLPA. He contended he wasn't made fully aware of the conditions pertaining to his rookie contract and that Hamilton didn't offer him the one-year plus an option deal, but rather just the two-year plus an option.

It's doubtful Williams will immediately crack New Orleans' strong active roster. The Saints (4-0) are deep at receiver and tight end, and boast one of the NFL's top kick returners in Darren

I wonder if this was Saints jumping on an opportunity to get a skilled guy or if this has implication that Moore will be out a significant amount of time?

Edited by Big A

Captain Obvious is finally wising up. Just consider the Saints your 4th favorite team when rooting for those championships. We still have a small seat on the bandwagon.

Hale no! WFW only roots for two teams outside of Washington...and they are the Falcons and the Rangers Jack...But WFW is just sayin'

xJimBrown_RaquelWelch_1.jpg,qitok=VTsqnVQA.pagespeed.ic._lIPQ78X7F.jpg

I'm originally from Hamilton and still follow them religiously. Williams was a superb WR and return man - all-star quality in the CFL! Can't say how his skills will translate in the NFL but he was a flat-out stud for a couple of years in Hamilton and I will not disrespect those two years.

Seems like he turned down other NFL offers to sign with Saints, yet we are incredibly deep at WR and have Sproles and Cadet to return kicks. I wonder if they said they may let him return a few kicks or something? Looks like team hasn't been afraid to let rookies and FA play pretty quick, look at all the snaps they let RB Robinson play ever thought we still have a healthy PT, Sproles, and Cadet.

Seems like he turned down other NFL offers to sign with Saints, yet we are incredibly deep at WR and have Sproles and Cadet to return kicks. I wonder if they said they may let him return a few kicks or something? Looks like team hasn't been afraid to let rookies and FA play pretty quick, look at all the snaps they let RB Robinson play ever thought we still have a healthy PT, Sproles, and Cadet.

They signed him to the practice squad so I'm sur all his offers were for a similar position.

They signed him to the practice squad so I'm sur all his offers were for a similar position.

That's the part I'm not sure of because it made a point that he turned down a guaranteed $200k salary to play in NFL, but practice squad is only $90k as opposed to active roster minimum salary of $405k.

So for him to give up over half of his guaranteed salary and sign with a WR deep team as opposed to another NFL team with underperforming WRs or thin at WR or return man, I would assume he was told something about having a realistic shot to play this year.

Just speculation, but if you follow the money, the fact he makes double the money if he plays and half the money if he doesn't, common sense would assume he signs with a team that give him a realistic chance to play,

I feel like something is wrong with Lance Moore,other than the concussion.

You mean hand, unless there was something new? I figured this was just the average cautionary Practice squad signing, but after reading this guy was pretty big star in CFL and had offers from other teams and chose Saints, and how he broke his contract with CFL team that was $200k to go to $90k salary on ps. I thought that pointed to a WR spot opening up if Moores hand was going to be long term injury, of if they promised to let him return some punts.

Cadet had some recent fumbles and Sproles has been used a lot, so I could see letting this guy return some kicks to help keep Sproles fresh, but that's just speculation.

You mean hand, unless there was something new? I figured this was just the average cautionary Practice squad signing, but after reading this guy was pretty big star in CFL and had offers from other teams and chose Saints, and how he broke his contract with CFL team that was $200k to go to $90k salary on ps. I thought that pointed to a WR spot opening up if Moores hand was going to be long term injury, of if they promised to let him return some punts.

Cadet had some recent fumbles and Sproles has been used a lot, so I could see letting this guy return some kicks to help keep Sproles fresh, but that's just speculation.

His pay in the CFL was 45000

I didnt see 200K

Practice players can be paid more than 90.

I dont see where he is really that useful to the saints just yet but Ill take him if they think he can attribute later. Lol

Isnt he times at like 4.28 thats moving.

Having sproles taken off kick returns and punt returns is a good idea. His value to the offense is way more