Who Would You Pick?

PapaJoe

I know this is an unrealistic circumstance, but IF we could get 3 picks in the first two rounds of 2014 draft.... (as of now) which 3 players, at 3 different positions would you want on the Falcons in 2014?

Please try to be somewhat realistic and have them spread out in projected rankings instead of picking all top-20 players....

Mine:

Gabe Jackson (G - MissSt) #35 -- I think he will drop deeper into the 2nd as of now

*a true "pocket-creating G" in the mold that our offense and Matt Ryan needs.

**I sooooo wanted Warford last draft... smh dry.png **

Kyle Van Noy (OLB - BYU) #25 -- I think he will be lower than this come draft time

*can fit into a Hybrid D role easily and make some plays.

Will be what Weatherspoon was supposed to be.

Jake Matthews (T - Tex A&M) #5 -- I do not think he will go this high

*can play either side and very capable run and pass blocker

bloodlines are top-notch and proven. He won't disappoint.

Depends on where we're picking. Though I'll go with somewhere around #20 and that the other two picks are in the 2nd.

1. Ra'shede Hageman, NT, Minnesota

The best NT in this draft class, in my opinion. He's more useful as a pass rusher and can stay on the field longer than Nix can. Still raw but has shown a good deal of improvement between 2012 and 2013 technique wise so that shows he won't rest on his laurels. He commands double blocks and if he can't get to the QB then he watches the QBs eyes to bat the ball. The sky is the limit with Hageman.

2. James Hurst, OT, North Carolina

This OT class is absolutely loaded (the OG class is shaping up to be loaded as well, but not as much as the OT class) so picking up a top notch prospect even late in the 2nd is probable. OT has been a problem spot to say the very least since Baker can't stay healthy (shocker), Holmes clearly thought he would automatically get a starting job and ignored his conditioning, and Trueblood is not a long term solution. Hurst would immediately come in and compete for the LT starting job (it's not like Baker's contract forces them to start him) and would definitely compete for the RT job. Has started since his Freshman year, so he's experienced, and neutralized Clowney prior to him getting a foot injury.

3. Chris Smith, DE/OLB, Arkansas

The 4th-6th round DE experiments have been nice but they're just rotational pieces and can be effective in that role but a starting level talent is badly needed. Smith is a tremendous edge rusher. Excellent athleticism, motor, and bend. Holds the point of attack very well against the run. Needs to refine his pass rush moves.

Please try to be somewhat realistic

Jake Matthews (T - Tex A&M) #5

For me: C.J. Mosley LB, Dominique Easley DT, Seantrel Henderson OT.

I wouldn't be opposed to Clinton-Dix either who I think is really good and would be an upgrade to DeCoud. Could cut him and save some money if he doesn't get better.

I wouldn't be opposed to Clinton-Dix either who I think is really good and would be an upgrade to DeCoud. Could cut him and save some money if he doesn't get better.

As far as I care.... we can cut Decouldn't right now. That guy has been more hurt than help since he completed his first season.

Scratch Henderson since I've heard he's been suspended. Make that David Yankey OT/OG instead or one of the top TE.

Edited by Rai

Depends on where we're picking. Though I'll go with somewhere around #20 and that the other two picks are in the 2nd.

1. Ra'shede Hageman, NT, Minnesota

The best NT in this draft class, in my opinion. He's more useful as a pass rusher and can stay on the field longer than Nix can. Still raw but has shown a good deal of improvement between 2012 and 2013 technique wise so that shows he won't rest on his laurels. He commands double blocks and if he can't get to the QB then he watches the QBs eyes to bat the ball. The sky is the limit with Hageman.

2. James Hurst, OT, North Carolina

This OT class is absolutely loaded (the OG class is shaping up to be loaded as well, but not as much as the OT class) so picking up a top notch prospect even late in the 2nd is probable. OT has been a problem spot to say the very least since Baker can't stay healthy (shocker), Holmes clearly thought he would automatically get a starting job and ignored his conditioning, and Trueblood is not a long term solution. Hurst would immediately come in and compete for the LT starting job (it's not like Baker's contract forces them to start him) and would definitely compete for the RT job. Has started since his Freshman year, so he's experienced, and neutralized Clowney prior to him getting a foot injury.

3. Chris Smith, DE/OLB, Arkansas

The 4th-6th round DE experiments have been nice but they're just rotational pieces and can be effective in that role but a starting level talent is badly needed. Smith is a tremendous edge rusher. Excellent athleticism, motor, and bend. Holds the point of attack very well against the run. Needs to refine his pass rush moves.

I've been watching Hageman a lot, and am liking what I see. He'll probably be my 1st rounder in my 2nd 2014 mock, after week 8.

Why do you guys insist on us drafting a DE/OLB pass rush guy? We need to focus on securing a talented interior line...that'll make everybody's jobs easier.

Get an NT like Hageman, re-sign Peters and move him to 3-4 DE, and pick up a free agent 3-4 DE like Starks. That will make the interior D-line much better. The edge rush is severely lacking on its own accord since Massaquoi gets pushed into the ground far too often, Osi is inconsistent, Biermann was never much of a pass rusher and will be coming off an Achilles tear, and I haven't seen much of anything out of Maponga. Goodman is more of a 5-tech DE but would be best suited for back up duties for now I think.

Guest King Jigsaw

Get an NT like Hageman, re-sign Peters and move him to 3-4 DE, and pick up a free agent 3-4 DE like Starks. That will make the interior D-line much better. The edge rush is severely lacking on its own accord since Massaquoi gets pushed into the ground far too often, Osi is inconsistent, Biermann was never much of a pass rusher and will be coming off an Achilles tear, and I haven't seen much of anything out of Maponga. Goodman is more of a 5-tech DE but would be best suited for back up duties for now I think.

And not a bit of that will matter if Matt Ryan gets hurt. I want Offensive Linemen in 2 of the first 3 picks this year with the way this class is shaping up!

I watched some 2013 video of Hurst (LT at UNC); I don't see where he is capable of helping us as a G. He looks like a stiff Reynolds. And i also believe most Guards over 6'4" are simply too tall for the position. Not impossible but it creates issues.

And not a bit of that will matter if Matt Ryan gets hurt. I want Offensive Linemen in 2 of the first 3 picks this year with the way this class is shaping up!

I know this likely won't be a popular opinion, but:

1) Our defense is terrible, namely the front seven, as I think we're in transition from a zone 4-3 to a man 3-4. We had to get the CBs to run that with Trufant and Alford but it left our front seven wanting as we don't have an NT (Peters is currently in that role but it doesn't get the most out of him) and our edge rushers are meh at best. The LBs leave something to be desired but that isn't too terribly surprising since Spoon and Dent are hurt, Nicholas has regressed even more, and we're now trying to see what these UDFAs have to offer. I think Spoon and Bartu could handle ILB duties if need be especially if we get a space eater in front of them. We need to get an NT and a quality edge rusher for the defense to go anywhere and those aren't easy to find later in the draft.

2) Most of the problems on the O-line are on the right side (at least talent wise, the main problem is that Hill is a horrible O-line coach) due to attempts to make it more finesse to increase pass protection instead of the typical power blocking. Reynolds is not a quality RG and Trueblood is just a stop gap at RT. Both of those positions are easier to find a bit later in the draft. Blalock has lapses but he has not been horrendous as suggested, he's simply average, and the problems at LT are due to Baker being incapable of staying healthy and Holmes having bad conditioning. I doubt Baker will go back to doing anything worthwhile unless he's in a contract year but Holmes can bounce back if he learns his lesson, as it seems he has based on some quotes from him. I also doubt they'll jump ship on either of them. We need to get away from the finesse experiment on the right side of the line and get some power and edge back there.