Freedom Of Speech?

JohnSp3

So I was just told by a lady at work that as an Atheist I have less of a Freedom of Speech than she does. I had no idea that there was a clause taking Freedom of Speech away from Atheist's and gave it all to Christians... I guess to h3ll with every other religion too??? Sorry if y'all see this as a useless post, just wanted to vent since I can't vent to anyone here at work...

I don't even... how... did she even attempt to explain it?

All she said was as an Atheist we don't believe in anything anyways, so we don't need Freedom of Speech. It didn't make any sense when she said it, and it makes even less sense when I'm typing it!

So I was just told by a lady at work that as an Atheist I have less of a Freedom of Speech than she does. I had no idea that there was a clause taking Freedom of Speech away from Atheist's and gave it all to Christians... I guess to h3ll with every other religion too??? Sorry if y'all see this as a useless post, just wanted to vent since I can't vent to anyone here at work...

If your coworkers know your religious or political beliefs then you are doing it wrong.

If your coworkers know your religious or political beliefs then you are doing it wrong.

That is absolutley true. The only reason she knows is she overheard a conversation I was having with another Atheist and since then she hasn't let up. I admit this is my fault for letting it get out here at work that I'm an Atheist, but that doesn't change the fact that she said something extremely stupid.

That is absolutley true. The only reason she knows is she overheard a conversation I was having with another Atheist and since then she hasn't let up. I admit this is my fault for letting it get out here at work that I'm an Atheist, but that doesn't change the fact that she said something extremely stupid.

Freedom of religion should apply to everyone. You shouldn't have to hide your religious beliefs.

Freedom of religion should apply to everyone. You shouldn't have to hide your religious beliefs.

I do try to "hide" it just to avoid confrontations. It's not easy being an Atheist in a Christian dominiated work place. But I do agree with Freedom of Religion SHOULD apply to everyone.

Really? This should be kept a secret? I say as long as she's not crashing airliners into buildings or detonating bombs in shopping malls, she can be as religious as she wants.

I agree she should be as religious as she wants, but in her own space. I don't think she should always try to force it on me, or anybody else for that matter.

So, you will let her be as religious as she wants to be, but she must want to do it secretly?

How about respectfully? Understand that Christianity isn't the only religion in the world and that I have just as much of a right to be an Atheist, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddist, or whatever else there is as she does to be Christian. It's a two way street. Generally I respect her right to be religious and keep quiet when she talks about her god, but when she says Atheist's don't or shouldn't have the same rights as Christians do, I'm gonna say something.

Yes, I can see how one should keep things secret. If someone has something in their life which has brought them a tremendous amount of joy and given them piece of mind and causes them to help others.... I can see not sharing that with others.

But what makes you think that someone else's religion will bring another person joy? Why is it acceptable to share your religion with someone else? Share it at church. Or at a spiritual event. Not at work. Not with someone that you know is not religious, or at the very least the same religion as you. Respect is a two way street, and if you as a religious person pushes your religion on me, you've lost my respect. As well as me as an Atheist pushing my views on a religious person, I've lost their respect. That is my whole point. I don't care if you're religious or not, I just don't want it pushed on me, or people saying I shouldn't have the same inalienable rights as a Christian...

Just tell her you have converted to Germanic Paganism and say "if Odin wills it and/or praise Odin" every time she approaches you about religion...

Advise her to steer clear of Loki too.

I told her one time I converted to Islam just to see her reaction. It was hysterical!!!

what makes you think it won't? If I have something which I believe will benefit you, why shouldn't I be able to tell you about it?

But now, I'm starting to not believe your story.

It won't because I believe that there is no god, so whatever way the "holy spirit" touched you won't affect my life in the least. And I could give a good got d@mn whether you believe me or not. I know what conversation went on here this morning and just how heated I got over it. So take yourself to another topic.

Really? This should be kept a secret? I say as long as she's not crashing airliners into buildings or detonating bombs in shopping malls, she can be as religious as she wants.

It makes people uncomfortable in a work setting. The first thing I learned in any type of large setting, with heterogeneous groups of people, is that everyone believes in something different. When someone dosent believe in god they dont want to hear about "How Jesus Saves" anymore than a believer in religion wants to hear how "Science disproves this". You should put making people comfortable at the front of your business. Discussions with staff and patients about personal beliefs or politics is simply not a wise move.

I took a seminar on etiquette that really opened my eyes to common mistakes not only physicians, but many other professionals, make in day to day operations. Something as simple as a pat on the back can be interpreted as sexual harassment if your staff or customer is not comfortable. Making comfort is the key.

It makes people uncomfortable in a work setting. The first thing I learned in any type of large setting, with heterogeneous groups of people, is that everyone believes in something different. When someone dosent believe in god they dont want to hear about "How Jesus Saves" anymore than a believer in religion wants to hear how "Science disproves this". You should put making people comfortable at the front of your business. Discussions with staff and patients about personal beliefs or politics is simply not a wise move.

I took a seminar on etiquette that really opened my eyes to common mistakes not only physicians, but many other professionals, make in day to day operations. Something as simple as a pat on the back can be interpreted as sexual harassment if your staff or customer is not comfortable. Making comfort is the key.

Feel free to enjoy your utopian society where work is accomplished without human interaction all the while 100% involving anything that potentially offend someone else should actual human interaction accidentally occur.

The rest of us will live in the real world.

I am sorry that you experienced such a short-sighted individual. As a Christian, I respect your right to believe what you believe. I don't have to agree with it, but that does not grant either of us more rights than the other.